Any Fountain Pen Lovers or Collectors Here? | FerrariChat

Any Fountain Pen Lovers or Collectors Here?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dom, Oct 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Among my meager collection are a Pelikan M800, Mont Blanc (not sure the model number, but the thin, cartridge fill one), namiki vanishing point, and several vintage pens including eversharp, waterman, esterbrook). Mostly low value pens, since I was a poor graduate student when I began collecting them. The montblanc was a gift from my wife on our engagement, and the Pelikan was a gift on my Ph.D. graduation, and these two pens obviously have much sentimental value to me.

Ever since the popularization of the ink-gel pens, my fountain pen usage has dropped significantly. Also, I had the nasty habit of dropping my pens, which makes them much less practical.

The Pelikan pen needs to have the nib repaired (or possibly replaced?). Haven't gotten around to it, though a quick search on e-bay shows that I can "Buy it now" for a new nib at $179 vs. "buy it now" a whole new pen for a little over $200.

Is there a pen-forum, sort of Like Ferrarichat or Time-zone? Is it worth getting the nib repaired vs. buying a new one, or a whole new pen and just taking the nib.

Anybody interested in buying/trading vintage pens that I no longer use?

When I get home tonight, I can post some photos of my pens if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Maybe this thread can become sort of like the watch thread, if there is any interest.

Dom

2. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I have a Waterman fountain pen. Its quite a few years old now, and by the looks of their website, is currently retailing around the $300 mark. Absolutely mint.
    I've always liked pens, but only ever used expensive parker's in the past.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Which Waterman?

The Le Man series?

4. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    No, its a Liason Fountain Pen, in marble grey/black. very nice pen.

5. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I can put you in touch with a friend who is a big collector, he might be interested in the pens you want to sell and also might be able to get you a nib for the broken pen.

PM me your email address and I'll send you his, I'm not sure how active he still is but he enjoy talking about pens.

~Chris

6. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey Dom - I am into fountain pens but as "daily drivers" and not "garage queens".

I have a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149 with the matching stand, Pelikan M800 (green stripe/green ink!), Parker Duofold Centennial in vermeil, Waterman Edson in blue and an older Waterman Expert that was my first one (gift from the missus many years ago). I use the Mont Blanc and the Edson the most - the Edson is the smoothest of the lot.

There are some others out there I want, particularly the blu Mirabeau Montegrappa Ferrari pen....

Cheers
    Kevin

7. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Do any of you gents have the Montegrappa Ferrari Limited Edition?

I've seen shots of them. They're very sharp, in Rosso Corsa and Giallo.

Forza,

Cavallini

8. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And blue too....

(said Kevallino to Cavallini... :))

Cheers
    Kevin

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #9 Dom, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, this thread is worthless without photos, so here is a photo of what I got (sorry for the crummy lighting):

From Left to right:

Pelikan M800
    Montblanc meisterstruck
    Namiki Vanishing Point (cool pen)
    Watermans
    Eversharp Skyline
    Omas Extra
    Unknown (used to belong to my father in law, years and years ago, nonfunctional)
    Parker Frontier
    Esterbrook
    Hero (received from a chinese colleague)
    Bucho-Girod (??)

And, on the bottom, a broken Namiki Vanishing Point (dropped).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    You've got a PM.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    OMAS 348 Challenge

12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I am thinking I would like to return my M800 to "daily driver" status, but will need to get the nib fixed or replaced. I think it would be nice to keep in the office (not carried with me, due to my propensity to drop them), for when I have to sign contracts, reports, etc.

Unfortunately, in this modern age, we seem to do very little writing on paper anymore. Everything is word processed, and so it seems that anytime I am doing any writing, it is signing something.

Dom

13. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have to write reports and since I can think faster than I can type I still write out stuff longhand and then either give it to my secretary or edit as I type it in. I bought a couple of leather pen pouches (single and a double) so when I take one to a meeting (and have no pockets) it doesn't get banged up. Also got a desktop pen holder from Levenger with separate holes for each pen so they don't get banged up.

Worth using for sure even if you just write checks with it!!! I'll get some pix at some point....

Cheers
    Kevin

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #14 Dom, Oct 5, 2005
  15. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    not fountain per se, but rollerball yes.

Haven't seen ones on ebay but did order a pen from speedgear. Kinda disappointed, barrel was rather thin plastic, but other than that a nice pen.

16. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #16 dozzina, Oct 5, 2005
    I was really hoping to skate under the radar on this one since I had, for the most part, not fallen victim to the watch addiction seen in others in another thread here. However, I went a bit nuts on the pens side of things, especially when I can collect sets (Fountain, Roller, Ball, and Pencil.)

Attached is a shot of some of my modern pen sets I took a while ago.

Today I'm wearing my Sheaffer lifetime fountain pen and pencil set that was made in 1943.

I've been outed. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    Edit: wroooong...

18. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I didn't intentionally collect them, but have drawer-full of pens after years of working, so I bought display case. Pens don't look good though. Size of pens are all different, so they don't look even or balanced in the case.

I have MontBlanc, Cross, Cartier, Bvlgari, LVuitton, Waterman, Gucci, Rotring, Ducati, Pilot, but uses most is Sensa. Too bad they don't have fountain pen. (or I just don't know)

I want to get Wagner Pen w/ Swiss knife, but haven't seen them at any stores yet.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I saw pens at the Ferrari Galleria and they were ~80-120 Euros each. I have a ballpoint.

20. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I just picked up a Cross Townsend fountain pen and I love it. Seems to me that it's a nice pen for the money. Feels good in the hand. I just ordered a Townsend ballpoint in the carbon fibre look based on how nice the FP was. I have heard some reports that Cross is not going to be making this line any more, so if anyone has a titanium, carbon or herringbone Townsend they don't use I might be interested in buying it.

21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #21 LetsJet, Oct 6, 2005
  22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Nice collection Eric!

My M800 is fixed! I was having problems where I just wasn't getting good inkflow, and I had assumed that it was due to the nib becuase I had tried cleaning it. I was going to send it out to get repaired, when I read that you can try cleaning it in an Ammonia solution (1 part ammonia, 2 parts water). I tried that as a last resort, and sure enough, it worked!! So now my pen works again.

Dom

23. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
  24. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    DEAR,

F CHAT MEMBERS YES I HAVE BOUGHT A COUPLE OF FOUNTAIN PENS ON EBAY. THE RED AND YELLOW.. THEY WORK GREAT USE THEM EVERY DAY.

YELLOW IS HARDER TO COME BY THEN RED PEN.. I PAID $50.OO WITH THE SHIPPING COST.. FERRARI LICENCE PRODUCT ACCORDING TO THE WARRANTY PAPER..
    CHEEEERRRSSS
    JOHN

25. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #25 LetsJet, Nov 16, 2005