308 GTS i : restart after 10 years !!! | FerrariChat

308 GTS i : restart after 10 years !!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F328GTS/GTB, Oct 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F328GTS/GTB

F328GTS/GTB Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    Hello,

I need to help somebody to restart his 308 GTSi, that has not been used for ..... 10 years (!!).

Do you have some advice.
    I think we should start by removing the spark plugs, turn on the ignition key to make oil pressure increase, then put the spark plugs and try.

But not so sure of the "procedure" to use.

Thanks for your help !

2. fana355france

fana355france Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    Before to restart I would remove the gazoline ans change it , same for engine oil..

3. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Yes I definately stupid here...but I do know you could make things MUCH worse if you do the wrong thing.

There are many very knowlegeable people here who can help.

A serious search of the archives will do wonders.

I know you must be anxious to get it going but take your time and do it right.

After ten years I can imagine that the rubber stuff is all no good.

Tom

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    you should change the belts, oil, fuel, filters and tensioners first,
    But if you want to start it without doing that, try tacking the plugs out, squirting some oil into the cylinders and turn the engine over by hand (jack the car up, put it into gears and turn both wheels)

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Denis -- Do a search here on the term "fogging" -- many of the threads will be related to trying to recover from a long period of disuse.

6. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Yes, I remember a GTE awakening thread long ago (Glassman?)

My 330 had sat for 22 years - the oil had turned to soap, gas to varnish, leather to cardboard, engine seized, you get the picture.

Be sure to change all the fluids & rubber.

And don't let it sit again!

7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    There was another thread on this not long ago but to recap you should look at

1) Draining the gas tanks & cleaning out the tanks and fuel lines out. Replace the fuel filter. Ten year old gas will be very nasty

Inspect the fuel lines - especially the flexible ones - there's quite a lot of pressure in the fuel system & if one bursts on you.....t'would be bad (!)

2) Drain engine & transmission oils & replace. Replace the oil filter. Plan on replacing the oils & filter again in 500 miles

3) Drain & flush out the coolant. Take the opportunity to remove & check the thermostat.

4) Replace the cambelts & tensioner bearings in addition to all the V-belts & check the water pump is free while yr in there. Belts do not like to be left sitting in one place too long & 10 years is way too long (!) If they are weakened they could give way on you on the first crank & there is not really any way to tell. Its probably a 5000 Euro gamble basically!

5) Remove all the spark plugs, dizzy caps & rotors & test & clean everything up.

6) Dump a some oil in each cylinder & then use the rear wheels (car in gear) to try & turn the engine through a couple of revolutions.

7) Fit a new battery & check as many of the electrical systems as you can

9) Check everything you can see (fuel, oil & water hoses & electrical connections)

10) Stand back & light the blue touchpaper!

Suggest you give the brakes a complete overhaul as well (and change the fluid) before you drive the car. Tyres that have been sat for 10 years without moving maybe somewhat square!

HTH

I