212 Speciale | FerrariChat

212 Speciale

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bobleb, Oct 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
  2. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    Michaels' car that he is selling.....

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    An early Ferrari with period race history for $550k. Expensive, but does anyone else think this looks like a bargain when compared to current lusso and 275GTB prices?

4. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Never been a fan of this car. It just feels "wrong". Kind of like Popeye wearing fedora and Bogart wearing a sailor hat, it just doesn't go together for me.

T308

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    As usual, it's an "early" rebody, so pass the Grey Poupon.
    If it was done last week, let the pigeons "poupon" it.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually Horsefly I agree this car is but a replica! IN MY OPINION. It was NOT rebodied to make it faster or for a show special, etc. but simply to copy an existing Ferrari model. Does it really matter who does the replica work?, I guess so but this reads like a simple case of tarting up an old Ferrari ... just the same as they did in the 80's

... I guess the Count could not afford a genuine LWB California spyder (?), or he was 20 years ahead of his time. Probably bought the 212 for bugger all and sold this on for a tidy profit.

If I bought this car I would rip the body off and sell it and rebody it back to it's famous and interesting days. There was an old body for an early Ferrari for sale not long ago ... funny if it was the original ;) Here is the link but it is a 250MM body ... which would look great on her IMO.

Would have been mega expensive with the genuine body thanks to great race history.
    Pete
    ps: Please note I am just saying it how I see it, and thus is simply my opinion. Others may think that because it is an old rebody that it has historical significance and I guess it does, especially if under the Counts ownership it did something interesting.

7. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The Count was a relative, and he could have afforded a California spider or anything else he wanted. He already had the car, and from what I remember, the coachwork was rather beat up, so he simply decided to rebody the car in a style he liked. I would AGREE that it is a replica, and that the car would be worth much more with the original body. The thing is, in 1965, it was almost as cheap to build a new body as it would have been to repair the old body....and in 1965, no one cared about "old" Ferraris. Only a couple of years earlier, THREE Bugatti Royales sold for less than $10,000 total!
    Is it better to have the car with a 1965 "replica" body, or would it be better to recreate the original body?

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes that makes sense ... sorry no offense intended. I should have included a smiley face :)
    Well with the old 250MM body it would be an old car again ... but a bitsa still, but possibly a reasonable choice?. I'm not actually sure what is best to do with her?.

My question to all, is what is going to be that attitude of current replicas in 30 years time?. Will these 80's TR and GTO replicas get the same respect as this 212? OR will we still debate period or non-period rebodies which this one was, which puts it a massive cut above IMO.

Pete
    ps: "... thing is, in 1965, it was almost as cheap to build a new body as it would have been to repair the old body....and in 1965, no one cared about "old" Ferraris."

The thing is this statement is STILL true ... the only difference is more care about old Ferraris now. The main reason for replicas still is it is cheaper to make a bew body than lovingly fix a worn old original. Even with Toyota Corollas it is easier and thus cheaper to simply bolt on a brand new panel than hammer the old one straight again.

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

No offense taken.

I'm sure if we could know what is the case today, and then travel back in time, the old coachwork would have been restored.

If it were my car, I would remove the California-like coachwork, and restore it as close to humanly possible to the way it left the factory. Californias haven't done that much for me, especially since they started making the fiberglass replicas for Corvette and other chassis.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ... with correct Mille Miglia paint scheme :).

Pete

11. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    It would be a good looking car if it weren't for the deformed hips. They seem exagerated.

jay

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    If I was able to buy this car I would rebody it to its original Vignale body. I haven't checked but I guess that the Vignale body is much more interesting and unique against the California body. Also it doesn't look right and is frankly more like a caricature then an exact replica of a California.

This one IMO can't be compared to the Breadvan, CanAm spiders or even the Tom Meade specials as these cars didn't replicate anything. I also find the story behind the rebody less impressive.

Just my 2 eurocents.

Ciao, Peter

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How much respect is this one getting, really? I presume the asking price is a fraction of what it would be with the correct body and no stories.

In fact, most GTE conversions are selling at a price higher than the car would sell at with the correct body, so arguably they get more respect than this car now.

In 30 years, I doubt anything will have changed.

14. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    #15 Jay_GTB, Oct 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    $600k will buy you so much. Why would one want that ugly duckling? This Vignale, though over priced, can be had for around $400k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    with Mille Miglia history. The red car pictured is a street car (which I like very much, but can't afford)

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #18 Horsefly, Oct 6, 2005
    Is this photo of any signifigance to the discussion? It's a photo from a book that I bought at a swap meet last year. A couple of 250 variations.

18. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    No and, by the way, your "250 Europa" is actually 340 America s/n 0082A.

20. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #21 T308, Oct 6, 2005
    1952 MM. 0147E

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I knew that $8 was way too much for that book!

22. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Horsefly:

I'll gladly give you the $8 plus postage :) The book has inaccuracies but is rather difficult to find today. My copy of the book looks like it sat in someone's trunk for a LONG time and has water stains and some oil splatters.

23. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Horsefly:

I'll gladly give you the $8 plus postage :) The book has inaccuracies but is rather difficult to find today. My copy of the book looks like it sat in someone's trunk for a LONG time and has water stains and some oil splatters.

By the way, anyone know the original colors of the car?

24. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Agreed the body is not the prettiest, but when you are sat in this car and driving it, you can't see what it looks like anyway. Fact is you are driving a very early, rare Ferrari, a 212 that competed in the MM.

Chassis, gearbox, engine and rear axle are all that matters when you are in the drivers seat.
    Cheers
    Simon