Belt shredded on my 456 ... help! | FerrariChat

Belt shredded on my 456 ... help!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by jjjnyc, Sep 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjjnyc

jjjnyc Rookie

Apr 3, 2005
    New York, Virginia
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Hey everyone (I posted this on the 12 cylinder part of the site, but I do not know if you guys look there ... and, truth be told, you have provided me with some great info in the past) ... so, if anyone knows the answer on this one ... I own a 456 and started it up this morning. I heard some belt noise, and smelled the buring of rubber (I just had a major service this year, 1000 miles ago). I quickly turned off the car (it seemed like both banks of cylinders were running, but not sure because I shut it down very quickly). When I looked under the car, there were belt fragments on the ground, clearly melted ... I think they came out of the "front" belt casing - there is an opening in the bottom (if I am not mistaken, this is not the major cam belt, correct?) So, what could have caused this? Could it be the cam belt? Is my alternator/AC unit, etc., probably seized? Can I start the car to get it on a transport? You all have been very helpful here and I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Probably an auxillary belt. Unless you know for sure don't even think about starting it! If this belt runs your water pump same thing it will overheat very quickly. Best bet get it towed to a shop.

3. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Werd. If it's your alternator belt you're not gonna get far either... Get the tow-hook out and call FoCNJ, Classic or WWoC...

4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    It would be unlikely that a cam belt would do this. The outside chance would be that a tensioner failed but I too think it would be an auxiliary belt. When the idlers or tensioners lock up the belt melts and causes molten rubber to get flung around.

5. jjjnyc

jjjnyc Rookie

Apr 3, 2005
    New York, Virginia
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Going to have it flat bedded up to WWOC (they have always served me well) - will let you all know how it goes. Thx.

6. jjjnyc

jjjnyc Rookie

Apr 3, 2005
    New York, Virginia
    Full Name:
    JJ
    I took off the belt covers today and the alternator belt (looking at the engine, the one to the left) was shredded). The bad part? It looks like the crankshaft wheel where the belts go around has somehow moved forward (i.e. toward the front of the car) causing that belt to come off. The other belt is 50% on becuase of the movement. Very strange - more to follow. Engine runs fine, which is great, I am hopeing that just the crankshaft gear somehow slipped forward ... weird ...

Has anyone ever heard of such thing? All belt gears/wheels turn freely.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    JJ. Since you started the engine, which runs fine.
    Im thinking it cant be that serious. Not sure if there is a sprocket on the shaft that loosened?? .Anyways don't start the engine again to be safe.

8. jjjnyc

jjjnyc Rookie

Apr 3, 2005
    New York, Virginia
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Belt tensioner went (rare in the 456, more common in the Maranello) - all good and back shortly. Thanks again for the advice!

9. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

thumbs up jjj