Deals south of the boarder | FerrariChat

Deals south of the boarder

Discussion in 'Canada' started by NO_Bull, Oct 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NO_Bull

NO_Bull Rookie

Sep 20, 2005
    With recent improvements in the Canadian dollars cars stateside are looking all the more attractive. Besides the currency exchange and GST are there any other items an importer should be aware of?

I understand some older cars may not meet the Transport Canada regulations. Is there a place to turn to? Or can you get an advanced decision prior to making the purchase.

Any help would be great!

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

3. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    I don't think you have to pay Duty or anything if the car is over 15 (or 20?) years old. I think its then considered a classic collector car. I could be wrong though.

4. arium

arium Karting

Jun 16, 2005
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Steve H
    Over 15 years riv.ca doesn't apply. However, the government still wants their pound of flesh!

You'll do currency conversion; then 6.1 or 6.2 duty then add gst and pst as well if applicable. Plus you'll probably be required to do mechanical/emmisions inspection. Been there, done that.

Steve

p.s. You will also want to make very very sure you have a clear title in hand. Otherwise Uncle Sam will NOT let the car out of their country. The U.S. Customs people are very nice if you have all the docs but are very firm on this one. If there is anything owing on the car they will not let it leave.

5. fioranoseeker

fioranoseeker Rookie

Sep 25, 2005
    Full Name:
    Rob P
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to purchase a 355 spyder from the US. RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) (www.riv.ca) says that a 355 from year 95 to 99
    needs to have bumper modification done to the car in order for it to stay in Canada. According to Ferrari NA the car meets and exceeds Canadian Specs. especially the ones destined for California. Does any one know different. RIV also says that from 2002 and onwards, a 360 can be imported without any bumber mods. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    I'm also curious about the bumper situation for an F355. Can a car come from California to Canada and not need any bumper replacements?

7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Nope. You need bumpers. Have fun asking Remo for a set of bumpers at the parts counter too. :)

Be prepared to tack on $15G's to the price for conversion. It aint worth it. This topic has been brought up a million times. It just doesnt make sense numbers wise.

Oh well what the hell do I know...

Just my lousy 2 cents ;)

Vasco

8. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I just imported a P-car which required no mods except drl. Very easy and cheap - I saved a ton. If you have to do body mods, it might not be worth it, however, a phone call to one of our 'independent' members for pricing is cheap.

9. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    The Government is one greedy F-ing bastard!

10. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The gov't aren't the ones charging $15k+ for bumpers!

*not that I'd wanna let them off the hook for anything!

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

There are no deals south of the border.

If there is a numerical dollar discrepancy "today" what you "think" you'll save up front by importing a car is ERASED at resale time when people will walk away from your US car and buy a Canadian one for sale in the same marketplace. In order to sell your US car you have to discount it heavily to move it.....which means you saved nothing up front after all. Most dealers WILL NOT tell you this but will blather on endlessly about the perceived savings until you try to sell your car back to them 1-2 years later.....and that's when you leave their place of business with a funny walk.

Been at this game for 18 years now......thru 2-3 currency swings in both directions.......trust me. I could fill my boots with US cars if I wanted to.....there's no point whatsoever. Domestic stuff is another story as the dollar ratios we are talking about are smaller and the clients a little less educated....but the principal still applies.

Vasco is correct....you need about $15K of 355 bumpers....plus paint and installation of same in addition to other items. They are on "permanent" back order last time I checked.......it's the reality of the situation until the dollar changes.

As to the OP's question.....can try the search function please ?....this comes up about every month and you'll find numerous well written explanations...here's some for starters....

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50981&highlight=importing+cars

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71142&highlight=importing+cars

12. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I just saved on a corvette, I know for a fact I will still be saveing when the time comes to sell.

13. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Hi Todd. Not sure I understand. Saving when it comes time to sell??? With grey market cars (unless classic) you will not save when it comes time to sell....but you will get less than a Canadian market Vette.

Vasco

14. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Vasco, I payed ALOT less for the car then I would of up here. I know for a fact that Corvettes From the US still sell In Vancouver for roughly the same price as the Canadian car. My friends have done this before.

15. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    What year? Sweet, What ever year. I Love Corvette, one is going to be my first money car (or a Elise maybe a Boxster)