For those in Vancouver | FerrariChat

For those in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ferrariguy2, Oct 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
  2. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
  3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It's a beautiful city for sure (of that there has never been a question).......but with it's high tax environment (provincially and municipal)........one of the highest costs of living in the world and the highest in Canada......dysfunctional provincial and municipal left wing governments.......and with no end in sight to the aforementioned.........I can think of other worldy cities where I'd rather spend my time.

4. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Keith, we talkin' Brazil again meu!?

;)

5. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Good points Kieth. I hear that every Alberta citizen gets a check for $400 at the end of the year? Now thats the way to spend a surplus, give the damn money back to the taxpayers!

6. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vancouver pwnz!

7. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i have lived in many places in the world and vancouver is one of the easiest place to live.

however, there is a lot of room for improvements in taxes, medical system, etc etc.

i do see that the qualitiy of cars are steadily improving. ;)

8. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Perth scored well.....and very similar to Vancouver, the only thing I disliked about Vancouver when I was there was the constant rain (and snow on the last day).

I also noticed a ton of homeless people at every street corner, got sick of constantly being asked for spare cash.

Oh and heres something a little off topic, whats the deal with Gastown? I keep hearing how its such a historic place and all, but the 5mins I spent walking through scared the **** out of me. :confused:

9. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    In addition to the homeless, they have a very high drug problem, and prostitution problem.

Been there, I am there again next week.

Oh, I was also born in BC.

Give TO the thumbs up.

10. arium

arium Karting

Jun 16, 2005
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Steve H
    Just to let you know, I have a home, never taken drugs, and have never prostituted myself (lately)

:)

Steve

11. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    that explains the nicer and nicer cars ;)

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    So does every other city.

Agreed though that there is a high concentration of all of the above in one particular area and one of my first witnesses of it, after I had recently moved here, while driving down Hastings, just before Main st (the centre of it all), I turned over, looked to the sidewalk and saw a bunch of police and medics looking down at a bum who had just died from an O.D. They hadn't had a chance to put the white cover on him yet. Pretty spooky.

After that point, I could look at anything else and not be bothered by it much. Once, I parked the Ferrari in town (near Broadway, in an alley) and came back to find about twenty feet away, a group that were shooting up.

That's big city life for you.

That's why I live out in the 'burbs with the farmers and yahoos. :)

But I would never live anywhere else. I'll always call B.C. home.

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Every city has it....that's true.....but YVR has it's greater share due to it's excellent year around weather and social indifference towards the problem.....I can't wait until FMoV moves to a new location too..............they are about 3 blocks away from crack/whore alley............

I was out there in July picking up a 930 cabrio that I just bought from them and with my trusty map in hand I took the easiest route out of there to thru main streets.....within 3-5 minutes I was sitting, with the top down in the afternoon sunshine, right at the lights at Hastings and Main.....wishing I had a 9mm beside me just in case......the light couldn't have changed fast enough IMHO....it seemed like a century as loaded crack ho's gave me the eye and wandered past with their drugged out pimps or whatever at the crosswalk in front of my car.

YVR should set up safe shooting galleries for these people and hand out free drugs so they expire at their leisure rather than prolonging their lives as it is now.

14. corsa_italiano

corsa_italiano Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Ya, Gastown is pretty sketchy. Especially at night. The quality of cars is definitely getting there. But the only supercar (that I know of) is 2 CGT´s and an SLR. Surrounding cities is where your gonna find the truly rich drug dealers.

15. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Keith - that's my primary route into town, try it in an Fcar (secondayr route is down Venables to shriek at the cousins)! but really, there's more cops within 50' of that corner than likely anywhere in Western Canada. Try a few blocks north over at Oppenheimer Park - there's a freak show, I worked one summer near there.

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Hi Tom....

Didn't see any of YVR's finest that day......and I am usually OK with these kinds of people also in that I can talk to them and disarm any threatening situation (or like to think I can)......but it was a triple witching hour I think from the various looks on their faces and their body language that had me just a wee bit nervous. I almost ran a red light of get out of there....heh !!!!

Pity you in the F-car............

17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Maybe the natives like Italian machinery better? I get more thumbs-up and positive catcalls from the street life down there than most other spots in town.

Ahh, I get it now - you looked like you were undercover! bad move down there.