Any 2 Channel Stereo freaks here? | FerrariChat

Any 2 Channel Stereo freaks here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by life@8500, Oct 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    2 channel "Hi End" only no home theater.....

i know guys like Kevin deal from upscale audio and a couple of writers for emags are on forum....

i have audiostatics dcm 5md. Fi X, Valve audio labs 211 monoblocks (like a cary 805c) all audio alchemy digital front end dds/dti32/dde 3.0...i've been modding my dde 3.0 for past 7 yrs it's amazing.

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Yup, I am....not as high-end as you yet....

NAD, Onkyo, Polk Audio....

For $4000 it sounds great.

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    well, not high end but I still use my two channel Yamaha M-2 and C-2a in the living room.

4. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I'm still running...
    Apogee Diva speakers with DAX
    Krell 500 mono blocks
    Krell KBL pre amp

I've had this set-up for about 15 years and don't have a need to change them.

5. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Actually, I think one should have a home theater and a separate stereo. The best speakers I have ever heard were Snell Acoustics. Unfortunately, the met an end at some point. Best bang form the buck are DCM's. I think they are gone too, or have changed names. My house is so damn noisy I really don't get to enjoy music there, so I do most of my listening in the car, which I invested time and money and I think it sounds devestating. Almost to good for some music.

6. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I got rid of my small home theater setup to build a mid-fi 2-channel setup. Rotel pre/amp, and I seem to be the only person in the world who bought the Paradigm Studio/80s.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I used to run Divas. LIke nothing on this earth if you have the correct space for them.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  9. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    You're right. These speakers need a lot of space. I have them in a dedicated 600sq ft. room.

10. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I have a pair of McIntosh MC-30's that I'm going to build a nice little system around some day. I'll probably pick up a Rotel pre-amp and CD player, and a pair of B&W 602's. Not super high-end, but should be nice and listenable.

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Good for you! I stopped reading The Absolute Sound, Stereophile etc. because they constantly were hyping the latest equipment as being so superior to anything before it, only to talk about how the next thing 6 months later made that thing before it obsolete.

As much as the industry would like people to believe the "latest is greatest" hype, high end sound doesn't improve that much from one year to the next.

John

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not really high end either but I've got

B&K components
    Vienna Acoustics speakers
    REL sub bass (not a sub-woofer according to them!)

I like it.

13. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    is meester d'agostino of krell on this forum? i see in mph mag he has a modena spider.

i have always been enamoured of audiostatics , this is my 3rd pr. way better than martin logan. my 2nd pr i got of some guy in chappaqua - he took the roof of his house to sound proof his room. wisdom adrenalines.....could have bought a f430 for the amt of $$ he "invested" in audio. he didnt take lightly to my criticism of his system.

these days i mess around with carbon fiber, modify speaker cones. cut framesand baskets to mimimize internal reflection. make silk purses out of pig ears.

all the fancy digital tech is worthless is you don't get the analog amplification stages right.

this winter when it's too cold to be messin with the f355 i will gut and rebuild a pr os sony ssk 90eds - raven ribbons married to the new accuton ceramic mid. carbon fiber reinforced seas alumiunium cones on bass. tubes on top, bipolars on bottom.

ah, fun fun....what do you say steve? what price to bring miles monk and mingus back from the dead?

14. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones

Why no home theater?

There are many who have incorporated components such as high-end mono block amps into their home theater system with switchable pre-amp controllers to go from 5.1 or 7.1 to stereo with the touch of a button.
    Perfect for stereo mixes, yet also rocks the house in surround.

15. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    what i have found ...to connect to the music there must be as minimum of interference and manupilation of signal as possible.

that means no tone controls mixers eqs etc.

i will have a dedicated av system ......i just can't make it work any other way. to satisfy my needs. but i will freely admit my passion for music has taken me to extremes. ie 2 watt triode amplifiers that use tubes from 1930.

Fi X hand built in brooklyn

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/fi5/45_2.html

16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    My main setup is a Sony SCD777es into a VTL Ultimate preamp with an Innersound ESL300 amp driving my Soundlab Pristine IIs. Not too shabby for around $5k on the used market :)

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #17 MarkPDX, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got a b!tchin system for $1500 at the Bose store in the San Marcos, TX outlet mall. I got it all hooked up to my VCR and my whole place shakes when I watch The Matrix. It's pretty cool how all that sound can come out of those tiny little speakers. Nothing but the best for me :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It's been a while since I've put any money into high-end audio. System last updated 10+ years ago, Carver tube pre-amp, Carver tube CD, 750W/ch Carver amp, Thiel CS 3.6's.

19. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    thats what I've got, the two-channel in the living room and the home theater in a back room.

20. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones

While I agree that a clean signal path is nice to have,
    I also have to say that as someone who does a large amount of audio production,
    from sound design to surround mixing, and everything in-between,
    I have never felt the need to remove tone controls, EQs, mixers, or any such component from a signal path in order to "connect with the music".
    In fact sometimes I'll add a particular piece of equipment to a track in order to color that sound in a pleasing way.
    Sometimes it's doubling a track by running a send to an old LA-2A compressor, or inserting a Fairchild 670 across a buss.
    Some kick drums just sound better run through a Pultec EQ.
    I even break out my old Studer 2-track and run stuff through it at 30ips for a totally different feel.

It's great that your ears are so sensitive that you can hear the difference between a pre that has a tone control circuit and one that does not.
    And if you feel the need to remove such components from your system in order to connect with the music, more power to you.

I guess I'm blessed that I can get just as much enjoyment from listening to an ipod as I can my studio full of gear.

21. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    you too? I was a Stereo Review subscriber for close to 30 years and when they went to a pretty much all home theater coverage, I cancelled my subscription. It essentailly went from an audio mag to a video mag.

22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #22 whart, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have several different systems languishing in different states of almost ready to run (again):

Lyra Parnassus nude, with heavily tweaked Well-Tempered Big Table
    ARC SP-11, hot-rodded by factory with NOS tubes
    Arc Classic 60
    Crosby-modified Quad 63 panels

Old Quad Monoblocks w/
    Old Quads-

various additional ARC components of differing vintage including 150 monoblock, old Dual 75a (recently retubed and re-capped); I use these as ancillary channels in the home theatre system, which is comprised of:
    SDI- output DVD player, running into HD Leeza, going DVI into DLP projector, onto large Stewart Gray Screen; Meridian processing; additional power amps by McIntosh, Snell theatre speakers, plus big and medium Velodynes, here's a shot of the theatre cabinets:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Bill,

Lamour would agree.....You have a great rack there! :)

24. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Still listening to Klipsch after 35 years. Had Conwalls until the in-house decorator said the had to go in 1992. Switched to Heresy's and am amazed by that clear horn sound and smoother highs than some more modern speakers. My Nakamichi tape Deck and Bose turntable are collecting dust in a storage box. May have to get them out after this thread.

25. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    dave - "It's great that your ears are so sensitive that you can hear the difference between a pre that has a tone control circuit and one that does not"

it may be more a curse! actually you may be able to hear the diff as well. it's not small.