Any Gym owners here ? | FerrariChat

Any Gym owners here ?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I am thinking of going 50% on a gym w a friend, any advice ? Thanks

2. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Me too!

I'll watch in on this thread. I'm 27, and stuck in a career rut not knowing what to do. Been thinking of opening a gym. Would also like to see what people say here!

J

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Yes,

For starters.....make it 51%

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Brian C. Stradale might know a thing or two..... I dunno how much he reads OT so you might drop a PM.

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Good point, maybe 55% :)

6. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    YES!!!!!!!!

Here is your winning strategy: Start out charging a LOT but touting how it's exclusive and you won't have a packed busy place. You can get good money for this. Make sure you hire some worn-out, broken down former bodybuilding champ to walk around and chat with customers, this is critical.

After a few months start your specials and promotions. Continue selling as many memberships as you possibly can, each quarter lowering rates and pimping-out your place as cheap as possible. Squeeze your current membership by offering additional promotions as well.

After about 18 months start giving away the memberships real cheap, anything to drive in money; anything!!! Buy one get two free, 50% off, free gym bag and towels, etc.

At 22 months, when membership is packed, people are unhappy, viruses & bacteria are all over the equipment, EDD is all over you for exploiting illegal labor......CLOSE THE WHOLE PLACE DOWN and call it a wrap.

Then sell the place to somebody else again touting the large membership and potential income.

When the people you sold it to go BK, buy it all back for a fraction of what you sold it to them for, tell everyone that you were the good guy and your "partner" (the former bodybuilding champ, who had a drug problem and was in debt) was the rat and that everything is going to be better & solid from here on out.

Repeat process.

7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I think we just found a new consultant for the business section :)

8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Lather 'em up, hose, repeat....I've heard that before somewhere....

9. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Obviously we have a member in our midst who is familiar with the SoCal gym racket. I solved the problem by buying my own weights and getting a hot young chick to come over and spot me. ;)

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    They make a cream for that :)

11. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, but only in post-workout form.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Whatever you do, DONT FORGET TO INSTALL WEBCAMS IN THE LADIES ROOM ! and link us up !

Gracias !

13. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    NOOOOOOO! Please don't do that. While I have seen some good scenery at the gym, I have also seem sites so horrid that to see them with less on would be emotionally damaging.

Back to the thread. I will also be watching, because I have concidered the samething except I want to own it, not co-own it. My niche, steal it if you want, is to have a clean place with proper equipment, lots of free weights. No contracts, only month to month payments, cheaper than my competetors. Instead of PT's I'll provide a "library" of sorts. Simple concise articles that get you results instead of a PT looking to squeaze your wallet and your wife's tits.And finally, nice locker room with steam, hot tub and sauna. A clean, simple and honest approach.

It's getting the start up dough that is the hard part for me.

14. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Nah, I've just seen many gyms open-up, sell-out, close doors and re-open....it's become something of a routine.

One thing worth complaining about: the change-up on woman's gym apparrel since the 80's: it has NOT gotten better. Back then woman wore skin-tight, spandex-clad, thong-like leotards & unitards. It wasn't uncommon to see fancy colors, lingerie-like appeal and all sorts of eye-candy...plenty of visual delight & resources to fill anyone's spank-bank. :)

Today it's all about baggy pants, sweats and other lesbian-friendly "don't bother looking at me cause there ain't nothing sexy here" clothing. They're literally shopping for gym wear from the same rack as us! WHERE'S MY MOTIVATION?

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Not in SoBe :)

16. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name: