QP faster than a M5 | FerrariChat

QP faster than a M5

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gougoul, Oct 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    As you can read in Evo...the QP beats the hell out of an M5 around their test-track.

Just what i ever thought. This is the finest handling saloon i ever drove.

It's a really great machine.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The new M5 or the old one?

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    the 507 HP M5 ??

4. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Thought that was obvious.

The new one, and the caddy CTS-R whateveR, and the Alpina B5 as well.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Great news ! WHich track was it ? and do u have lap times ?

6. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Not with me, but i could post them...

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I own an e39 M5 and have driven a QP twice and find that hard to believe. While the QP is nice and fast for a four door sedan, it is a far cry from the power and handling of an e39 M5 with 400hp, much less a new M5 with over 500hp! Just my humble opinion mine you.

8. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    I drove a couple of times the V8 M5. The engine is very strong (feels much stronger than the QP), but handling is way too bad.
    No brakes, no roadholding. Pure BM-style.

9. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    on the Evo web site it mentioned the Alpina B5 and Caddy CTSV

10. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Yes, but the article mentions the M5 on the track time, and they show the times, and it's quicker than the M5.
    Get the mag !

11. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    The test is with the Alpina B5 but in the track times on the test circuit it also has the M5

12. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    can someone post the lap times

13. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    M5 is Bimmer-crap.

Fast only in a straight (not for braking, mind you)

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, the various BMW 5 series has been tauted as the best handling mid sized sedan for over 20 years now. The M5 is the top of that line. While the brakes can fade with hard track use, they are fine for street driving. I would not hesitate to take on a QP on the track or street with my M5 and it is bone stock with over 100k miles!

15. Kulstad

Kulstad Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    The time of the BMW M5 is 1:29.95, the best in its class until the Maserati made 1:28.35. That's faster than a standard Carrera and very close to a DB9! The cars are tested at Bedford Autodrome which doesn't have many big straights.

What this means is that the QP is the best handling sedan ever and has better brakes than the M5. Though on the road the M5 would be faster and the sequential gearshift is better than the one in the Maserati. They're two awesome cars, but I would take the QP if I had the money. There's just too many 5 series around.

16. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

comon Frankling, first you're telling me that your wife's stock stang GT can take on a Maserati Coupe and now your old M5 can beat a QP around the test track when then new one cant even beat it. Sometime facts are facts and hard to believe, thers no doubt that the new M5 would beat a QP on a longer sweeping course, but as is, the amazing handling of the QP shines.

17. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    For your info as well, over the last 5 years, everybody said they had a sh!tty roadholding if you disconnect the E-stuff.
    Also, when comparing the BM to a Pug, you are right....
    But if you compare it to a sports car....not by a single chance do BMs have a good roadholding....

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is that assuming the QP doesn't need a $5k service midway around the track??

19. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    unless the M5's engine blows up or the idrive screws up

20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'll take bmw reliability over anything from ferrari/maser all day long.

at least bmw stepped up and fixed motors and extended warranties for those m3 owners.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I only restated the magazine specs I had read and how my wife's GT FELT to me. I have never raced either a Mustang GT or a Maser coupe.

22. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Come on kids, lets race the Johnsons in their M5. They might have us in a straight, but we got stopping and turn power. Hey, bring Scraps the family dog, he'll love racing... Next, compare the lack of size in your manhood...

Its a 4 door car. I'll give more props and respect to the guy who get's his azz handed to him in a 308 on the track by these uber sedans. You give these scrapping by the cents in their wallet Ferrari owners 100K I doubt they'll be running for the QP. Even if their lustful TR gets spanked, well its still a sportscar, not a friggin sedan. Its not like he (poor Ferrari owner) needs to proove his purchase was better. It always sounds like the QP is having to establish itself. Who cares as long as the owner is happy. If I had one and a E55 pulled up next to me, chances are I wouldn't be on the track nor would be dumb enough to race on a public road. Nor, most importantly, whine that I can beat him on a track as I yell past my passenger.

Off topic section should have a bit about... "despite the Pontiac Aztecs awesome accelleration, the more beautiful Hummer H3 can carry more grocery bags as its doing the Paris Dakar rally."

Its awesome that these cars perform so well, but the idea of them as track cars is a novelty. If I saw 4 people flying down the highway at 120 mph in a 4 door car as awesome as a QP, I wouldn't think that act or speed was cool at all. I'd rather hope they wouldn't hit anyone due to their awareness of the car's performance.

RocketBoy

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    One test on one track does not make for a definitive confirmation that a QP is faster or handles better than an M5. The M5 has been tried and proven as the top performance sedan in the world for over a decade. The BMWCCA Peachtree Region has an upcoming driving school at Road Atlanta, do you have a QP you want to bring?

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I think the QP is an wonderful looking and sounding car. The back seats are just a little too small for my needs and I do not like the paddle shift type gearbox in any car. In fact, I am on the list for the new M5 with the SMG, but will not take the car once my name comes up and will wait until the stick shift model comes out in 2007.

25. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

just busting chops my friend, cant stand when german car owners likeyourself make wiseguy comments about italian car reliability when they dont have the best thing on the block.......