Jaguar X-Type | FerrariChat

Jaguar X-Type

Discussion in 'British' started by Townshend, Oct 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I was wondering if anyone has owned, or know someone that owns, the Jaguar X-Type. I've been thinking of buying one for sometime now, as they are sharp looking cars IMHO and they are cheaper than both the C-class and 3-series. I would be getting a used one, most likely a 2002, with around 30-40k miles on it. I checked MSN Autos and both safety and reliability were very high for its class. Thanks!

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul

I'm no Jag expert, but I thought the '03s onward were the ones to buy.
    Anyone?

3. jeffb99tx

jeffb99tx Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hello Townshend,

In case no one else has mentioned this to you, there is a message board for the X-Type. It's address is

http://forums1.roadfly.com/jaguar/forums/xtype/

The board may be searchable as well so you can read all of the reviews and comments about the cars. I considered purchasing a used one a little over a year ago but the used car prices at that time were a little above my budget range. I believe the best quality cars are the ones from 2004 and up, and also possibly 2003 as there were a few minor "bugs" that needed to be worked out of the 2002 cars. Like most used car purchases, a complete service history is a must for this car. The board is very popular with both the Europeans and people from North America so there is a broad base of opinions and experiences. It is a lovely car and I actually test-drove a used one. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jeff
    Dallas, Texas

1994 Alfa Romeo 164 LS

4. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I looked at one about a week ago....was thinking about X or S-type....after sitting in one and driving one...I decided against it. The interior was too plain jane for me. The 02 X-types can be had for a good price right now...seen them even dip as low as the 12's or 11's....

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    My mom is on her second X type 3.0 and my dad has an 02 X type 3.0 with the sport package and 5 speed manual for his daily driver. Actually, my mom's first 02 X type was very reliable. She has had far more problems with her 04. My dad purchased the extended warranty from Jaguar for his 02 X-Type and he has had to use it a few times. I have driven all of them. If you get one I would suggest you go with the manual transmission and definitely go with the 3.0 liter engine. I wouldn't buy any used jaguar without a factory backed certified warranty. Also FWIW, my dad owned 2 S-type 4.0 (2001 and 2002)that were both lemons. They both had some serious electrical problems.

6. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    I have a 2005 X-Type Sport and absolutely love it. have owned several Jags over recent years - VDPs, XJSs, XJR-S, XKR, and S-Type 4.0. Earlier this year I went into the local dealership looking for an S-Type-R, but saw a Quartz X-Type-Sport sitting there and took it out for a test drive too. It utterly stole the show from the S-Type-R: not as much hp grunt, but so light on its feet and quick that it was no contest. When "loaded", as this one is, the X has just as many bells & whistles as the bigger Jags, has a huge pass-through boot, and is easier to park in a compressed city such as San Francisco. The Sport's body kit adds just the extra stuff to the lines to bring out the car's looks, IMHO.

Only caution: The front spoiler on the XT Sport is very low, so be careful with speedbumps, dips in the road, steep driveways - all the same things you'd be careful with while driving a Testarossa.

7. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Go ahead...post a pic!

You know you want to... ;)

8. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Make sure you wear a helmet. Car recieved a horrible side impact crash test rating.... although from the front it did very well. If you end up buying one and sense and accident coming on, make sure you point the car nose first towards the other car. This advice could save your life.

9. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
  10. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #10 GregD, Oct 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a 2001 X type. One of the early vin #s and although I liked the car, I had several problems with it. Issues ran the spectrum from vibrating sounds from behind the back seat to electrical issues (turn signals) and squeeling brake pads on the front wheels. The service center made the issues worse by not letting me take the actual tech out on a test drive to show him the problems.

JNA finally took the car back and swapped it for a new 2002 model for the balance of my lease. For that 1 1/2 year term, I had no issues with the 2002 car. If you go with a 2002 make sure it is a late build.

The 3.0 is the only way to go. The 2.5 strains on freeway passing and acceleration. I know this very well because every time my 3.0 was in service, they loaned me a 2.5. (about 12 times)

I went with the loaded version except nav system and didnt choose the sport package because the seats were not too comfortable for me and I liked the chrome accents with wood dash.

The car is solid at all speeds. It gets a little shaky at 130, but I think they have now limited the top speed to 125mph with 2002 and on.

Here is the only picture I had of the 2002. Notice how nice the wood accent on the dash looks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Ok, show me data that the side impact of the X-Type is WORSE THAN any other car which fares from not so good to horribly in side impact tests.

Comparing apples to apples, no car out there does as well in a side impact as it does in a front or back impact, period.

I just ticked over 130k miles yesterday and I developed my 2nd rattle. '03 X-Types are the ones to buy.

Food for thought, do you know why '01 and '02 X-Types are selling at the same price as XJs twice their age? Well, reliability is much better as is the styling on the older cars. They also have no problem reaching 140mph and are rock solid, interior and out.

I'm no fool, the X-Type and S-Type definitely have their place in the food chain, but you get what you pay for. There's no such thing as a cheap Jag unless it is used and you choose your model wisely.

Drive a '97 XJR (bulletproof inline 6 running at 13psi) and then an X-Type anything. If you choose the X-Type based on any other reasons than because its AWD, you should seek medical attention.

Sunny

12. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    WTF? You're headed for a crash, so you should direct your vehicle to maximize its speed of impact?