How does a McLaren SLR compare to the Super Ferraris | FerrariChat

How does a McLaren SLR compare to the Super Ferraris

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ffv, Oct 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ffv

ffv Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Toronto
    I have not had the pleasure of driving anything someone would classify as a super F-car but I have had seat experience in a variety of high end/fast cars - Continental GTs, CL600s, 911 TTs, 348s, 355s, DB9s etc. A friend of mine is considering an SLR and has asked my opinion so I pose the question here.

Anyone have seat time in an SLR? Can anyone give an opinion based on 1st or 2nd hand (ie passeneger seat) experience. I can only articulate what I know from reading and we all know whta that is worth.

Thanks in advance.

2. corsa_italiano

corsa_italiano Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    I recently had the amaying privelage to drive an SLR down a farm road in front of my unlces (the owner of the car) house. The car is amazingly quick even though it is a bit of a fatty. One thing I did not like were the brakes. They are either on or off..and that´s it. You could get used to them I suppose but obviously I didn´t. If your friend has the oppurtunity, tell him go for it. However, if he is looking for a supercar experience, that money can go elsewhere (ie. Ferrari F40 or even Koenigsegg CCR) Hope this helps a bit

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I havent driven it but I think it was a confused concept from the begining

I mean it has an AUTO trans, I'm sorry but Supercars DO NOT have auto trans

Its also Very heavy, an Enzo will eat it for lunch

and the 550 Maranello is MUCH better looking

4. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I've had some seat time in Super-Exotics and I can tell you that most of them fail the basic driveability test. The SL65 I was a passenger in was so stupendously fast that I don't think a manual transmission would really work - it's way too violent to correctly time the clutch and shift. I've never been in an SLR but I imagine it's even more explosive. The road-going GT1 (some of you will know this car) had a sequential gearbox and was about as fast as the Kremer 962c (with short track, not LeMans gearing). Both of these cars are a huge handful for even an experienced pilot. There's a reason the Enzo has a semi-auto transmission - stuff just happens too fast with these new cars to heel and toe! Personally, my dream drive would be a fully-auto Williams FW15 around Laguna Seca with 20 Honda engineers controlling my ride height, etc from the pits.

I was told by a former recent sales/engineer at AMG/McLaren that the SLR engine can safely put out over 1000hp with only a few (albeit very expensive) modifications! I guess at that point, it comes back to tire technology and whether it's socially responsible to sell such a beast.

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    hmm...wonder what mods there are left to do? its supercharged, so i guess u could change the SC pulley out.....cant imagine that yielding 400 HP tho...

6. deanger

deanger Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
  7. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think it depends on what you are looking for. If it is to be used as a street car, highway blasts, dinner,weekend trip it is probably the best supercar for this.(Although an SL65 will hang with it for less than 1/2 the price) The only modern Ferrari supercar is the Enzo and it is over twice the price and I don't think it would even work as well as an SLR for the purposes above. Now if it is a modern track supercar I guess the CarreraGT, Enzo, Pagani will out handle it all day long.

8. ffv

ffv Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Toronto
    I think this thing will never be tracked but driven on a semi-daily basis.

As a GT, albeit and VERY expensive and powerful one, how would you compare it against the world's best?

Thanks for all the input so far.

9. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    IMO the SLR shouldn't be viewed as an Enzo (and company) competitor. Its in a different class than Enzo, CGT, Zonda etc. To me the SLR is an ultimate GT- a car of monstrous performance that can be used as a daily.... and that has the best sounding engine ever ;) A true Gran Turismo car. Basically, it all depends what he's in for.

10. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    LOL, that would defently be the Carrera GT ;)

11. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

The SLR would be right at the top of this list but there are plenty that would work as well without that price tag. Bentley Cont.GT, Vanquish, SL65, and the Imola whenever that debuts. If $$ is no object, the SLR would be a fun choice.

12. ffv

ffv Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Toronto
    What of its 7:52 nurburgring time. That is impressive isn't it?

Anyway, this is ultimately about personal preference and while he kicked some 612 tires and has considered the Astons, Cl65s, etc he seems to really love the SLR. I just wanted to get some perspective and it sounds like you are for most part confirming what I thought of this car.

13. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz

Nah the SLR still snatches the title for me. Just love the Messerschmitt growl .. but the CGT is right behind. The M5 (V10) sounds dead good too.

PS - Sorry for the small thread hijack ;)

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

You mean the Renault Engineers and Williams Engineers on the FW15? Renault replaced Honda at Williams in 89 after their one year (88) of Judd engines.

15. ffv

ffv Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Toronto
    What of the everyday use of carbon fiber brakes?

16. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    I have seen a couple of them. 1 black 1 silver.
    They are amazing.
    I hope I can drive one in the next couple months.
    I wouldn't consider it as a competitor to the Enzo.
    They have different pourposes, one is a Daily driver super GT and the other is a ENZO hehe.
    It really depends on what you are looking for. The person I know who owns one, I can't imagine him driving a GT, Zonda, CCR or Enzo.
    This car is more like him, auto, daily, hifi etc.

It's a great car your friend will be really happy, and he won't regret buying it.

17. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    do you mean Carbon Ceramic?

18. heelykid97

heelykid97 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    canada
    Full Name:
    aidan
    I saw one of the slr's in Toronto canada by an esso it was cool he drives everywhere he goes my dad saw him a couple of times by tim hortons he liked it too, I dont think it would beat a enzo though the enzo is faster has more power and is a more reliable car than the slr mclaren it could beat it in a split second even though its a million dollar car and the slr mclaren is like 400 thousand dollars it would still win i think anyways thats my opinion so i have nothing against you guys. so

Peace

19. ffv

ffv Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Toronto
    YES, I am an idiot! hehehe

20. TestaRoasta

TestaRoasta Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    Yeah, what they said. An Enzo would embarass that thing