Black Enzo Premium | FerrariChat

Black Enzo Premium

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by 410SA, Oct 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Black Enzos are always priced at a significant premium to the market for red (or any other color for that matter). In some cases up to $300,000 more! That's a Superamerica or 430 Spider!

What do you think of the premium?
    Is it valid due to the low number of Black Enzos out there?

Is Black/Black worth more than Black/Any other color interior?

This is not a poll, just a search for subjective opinions/validation/rationalization of a very vexing conodrum.

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    It's the association with Carb...drives the price right up.

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I figured I'd have an impassioned essay from Carb by now.....

4. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Give him a chance...He's at his office playing with his 1:18 black Enzo right now.:D j/k

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sorry... i saw your post when i came in this morning and have been thinking about this ever since...

Here's my beef with the black Enzo market... Everyone seems to be asking a premium for these nero beauties - noticeably above and beyond what red and yellow Enzos are fetching - but where are the buyers that justify these premiums...?

It seems like every week or two, i hear of ANOTHER mysterious black Enzo that's for sale at a price well above all the others... But with all these confident sellers, i've not yet heard of one buyer... Where's the email from a confidential source that says, "Hey, Carbon, this just in! So-and-so from somewhere just picked up a black Enzo; it's being shipped next week!" All i ever hear about is some black Enzo somewhere - never more than a vague locale - that's for sale and the owner wants X amount more than what red and yellows are getting - but i never hear of a completed sale...

It almost seems like indifferent owners are trying to force a mystique that buyers don't quite see (yet)... It's rumored that when 134282 FINALLY sold, it was for less than $1.2M...

i think owners of black Enzos are touting rarity and mystique to try and fetch a higher asking price - and rightfully so, to me, a black Enzo is the pinnacle of Ferrari mystique - but in order to justify these seemingly recurring premiums, a seller actually needs a buyer to step up to the plate...

So who will it be...? Who will be the first to make an actual change to the market...? Will it be a buyer who steps up to the plate and shells out $1.3M+ for a black Enzo...? Or will it be a seller who decides to acknowledge reality and lowers the asking price...? If i were of the means, i'd happily pay $2M for an all-black Enzo, but that's just me...

i think these supposed sellers with foggy locations and potential seller's remorse need to follow in the foot steps of 134282 and gradually start bring the numbers down until someone bites... It seems that buyers are right on the edge, but don't want to make that leap... A little push might be all they need...

The other thing that makes me question this whole market is the black/tan Enzo that was in Las Vegas for a while... When Penske - Wynn opened up, Steve Wynn's Enzo sat on the showroom floor for a while with a sign in the window that apparently had a price tag on it for $1.3M... People kept asking about it and i was assured that the price was inflated on purpose to make the car APPEAR to be for sale, but that the owner had no real intention of selling the car...

Now the car is in another state, for sale, with another dealer... Do you think the dealer paid $1.3M...? Neither do i... It'd be interesting to find out what the dealer is asking for the car, though...

So, i guess, in short, i feel that, right now, the black Enzo market is a little more inflated than black Enzo buyers' desires... That is unless there have been actual, multiple deals going down (not including the supposed fire sale in NC) and i am completely out of the loop...

6. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    9 hours and 10 minutes after baiting Carbon...........

7. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    exactly what i was thinking, but i didn't feel like taking the time to write all that up, at least somebody did. thanks

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...!

Mike, which one...!

Kaller, i was at the movie theater - a half hour away - when Alex started this thread... After which, i went straight home and, eventually, went to sleep... i didn't see this thread until this morning and then needed some time to dwell on it... Though it's not been mentioned hitherto, Alex and i seem to be thinking about the same things...

9. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Hey Carb

FoOC is still asking $1.3mm for the Wynn car, hence my thread. I may take a closer look at it this week, but $1.3 ain't in the cards.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    But...

...it has a tan interior...

What about all of the ones that are all black...? Alex, you NEED all black... If i write a thousand word essay on why you should get an all-black Enzo, will you buy one...? :D

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    You find a real car amongst all of the phantom black/blacks and I will buy it

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So then the really vague cars behind the high numbers ARE phantoms, huh...?

Great, now i don't know what to start first... My search for a real, all black Enzo that's for sale - or a killer essay on why you should buy it... :)

13. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    But both are necessary (find a real car and the essay) and jointly sufficient conditions for Alex to buy. So, no movie for you tonight Carbon or at least get a pocket PC with a web browser. Get calling and get writing so we can have a black Enzo at the Arizona Concorso in 3 weeks! Carbon, are you a wine drinker? I'd like to offer a bounty to help Alex capture the right car.

Regarding FoOC, too bad about the unfortunate color combination of the Superamerica shown on their web site. Black and Blood; sounds sort of like a really bad rock band from the ‘80’s.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    BTW my friends at PF have some brand new Enzo parts for sale. Everything except for the chassis and engine. Nose, Tail, Center section, all glass, doors, wheels and tires, etc.,etc. New and perfect. (Red but they will paint them any color you want.) As an aside it's no big deal to take these parts off or put them back. If anyone is serious PM me. Sold as package only.

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    My Sebring is just so incomplete without an Enzo steering wheel... :D

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    NNO
    This is your big chance! Hey with all your NNO contacts you should be able to move this package. NNO NNO Parts Broker... has a nice ring to it...

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Have you tried Mr. Jamail?

You'd think he'd want a cool garage like yours, with a few "spare clips" hanging on the wall..........LOL!

I'm told the red paint is actually the most expensive color to spray......

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i've planted a seed; we'll see what grows... :)

19. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Heard a not-so-funny story about FNA parts price on the new motors they're putting in various NNO's...seems they cut reimbursement to dealers, parts departments are getting a BIG hickey. Going over well.
    I don't think I want a dealership anymore. Or an NNO with a boat anchor in the back either. Parts price was abt 130K USD. Allegedly.

20. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    99% of people claiming they have Black Enzo for sale, is selling a phantom Enzo. They can't even provide a VIN.

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, and lately, that's made me look like a bit of ******... Live and learn, i suppose...

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i heard a rumor; i guess, hitherto, you would've been interested... :)

23. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    #23 fuse, Oct 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I personally are not buying into the hype of premium for black enzo. My friend who just sold the F50, had to have a black F50 a few years ago. As far as I can remember, 6 were produce, 3 in the US. We located 2 of them, 1 would not sell, and 1 was available. We paid a premium for the fact that it is 1 of 3 black in the US. As soon as the car arrived, my friend hated the black car. It was difficult to sell, as many people are to afraid to have a black car that may only appeal to certain buyers. It all became how it is positioned by who ever is selling it making a every little thing seemingly more desirable. I am not one to have to have a car because it is 1 of 3 in the US or 1 of 56 in the US or as such. At the end of the day, it has to be the car you like. I have seen Terry Jones black Enzo before he sold it. I felt that black Enzo look great...but really, I am surprised how much I like the Enzo in all different color posted here, particularly the Rosso Dino...it made me want to trade my Rosso Scuderia CS for the Rosso Dino CS that was available. I didn't like the black F50 as much as the red, but much more then the yellow that I have seen. It just reminded so much of a batmobile.

I would really recommend not to buy into the hype of the premium for certain colors. If you like the car, and is happy with the price you can acquire it at...great! If you feel you are paying a premium for the color, you have to decide if it is worth it to you...not matter what other says or what the market says.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Fuse... i agree; no one should ever buy a car for any other reason than wanting it... With that said, buyers set the market, not sellers and the last sale of a black Enzo that i know of was considerably lower than what supposed sellers are asking as of late... We'll see what happens...

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    All Enzo's should be black............as black actually hides some of those 'lovely' lines! :)