$300 Non-Refundable Deposit for PPI? | FerrariChat

$300 Non-Refundable Deposit for PPI?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by teabagger2, Oct 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teabagger2

teabagger2 Rookie

Jul 12, 2005
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Scott Coverley
    I am looking at a 308 and the closest guy who can do PPI is about two hours away. Seller of the car is willing to drive it there provided I give him a $300 non-refundable deposit which will be put towards sale price of the car if I buy the car otherwise I don't get it back....Is this reasonable?

Scott

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE

BTW, WHERE IS THE CAR / SELLER??

3. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    i would say yes, as long as everything checks out ok.

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is pretty good if the $300 goes against the sales price - Usually the buyer would pay for it.

5. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    The 300 does not go towards the PPI. Its just a deposit to the owner for the trouble of taking the car to the PPI site.

If you don't buy the car you are out 300 plus the cost of the ppi.

Erich
    not a great deal in my book for a 308

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Scott,

I sounds like the seller is saying to you, "Look, I'm willing to take the car for the PPI, but I want to be compensated for my time and out of pocket costs in the event you don't buy it." It will end up taking him most of his day (2 hours each way, plus the time for the inspection). So, is that reasonable? He is going to credit the money toward the purchase price if you go through with the deal. The question then is, how much do you want the car and how much do you want the PPI? How good is the car and how good is the deal you made on it? If you are likely to buy it no matter what the PPI shows, absent some major hidden problem, you're not risking much by giving him the $300. But I'd get the deal and credit for the $300 in writing.

Steve

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If that's the case, I agree, not a good deal. If the guy wants to sell the car, he shouldn't be charging you for taking the car to have the PPI done.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i would not pay it. anyone looking at an f car is going to want a PPI. is he going to charge you a viewing fee also??

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    If the car can make the 4 hour round trip under it's own power, it's probably in pretty good mechanical shape. Ask if you get a refund if it breaks down underway.

10. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I think that is very fair. I wouldn't drive my car 2 hours for a PPI and pay expenses. That is BS. He is selling the car no charity. Pay the $300 deposit and get the PPI done. I think it is generous that he is willing to put it towards the purchase price. There are plenty of buyers out there so IMHO I think he is going above and beyond.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i did not see the two hour drive blurb. that changes it for me.

12. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I agree, I would not haul my car around the country for someone to get a PPI.

You want a PPI, pay for it, if that means you have $300 in transportation costs as part of the PPI, no big deal. The odds of finding the car you want with a reputable dealer next door is slim...

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, count me in on the sellers side here. I would not drive two hours, sits arond for another two hours at least and drive back for free. $ 300 seems very reasonable, esp. if it is going against eventual purchase price.

14. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    He is trying to see if you are truely interested in the car. I think its not a bad deal. The seller does not want to waste his time.

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    i support the seller's side here. i wouldn't want to expend my time and resources w/o having any assurance of buyer's genuine intent.

the fact that he is willing to factor the $300 into the price, IMO is a good faith gesture on his part. perhaps, you can ask for reimbursement if it "doesn't" pass PPI.

16. widdlewade

widdlewade Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2004
    Bay Area/NYC
    Assuming you're paying for the PPI, if it has a bad PPI, the seller made $300 for a whole lot of nothing.
    If the car was a $40,000 BMW, would you even think about the $300? I would hope not.

17. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Giving a $300 deposit plus paying for the PPI seems reasonable. However, if the PPI shows major mechanical defects (like low compression on one cylinder), the deposit should be refundable.

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Deducting the PPI from the cost of the car is nice. I was under the impression most DON'T. I didn't when I bought mine and I didn't even think about asking. I considered it paying for peace of mind and that it wasn't necessarily an owner's cost to bear.

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    It's a great deal - I've paid close to $200 for shorter flatbed trips (one-way) than that for a PPI that failed. cheap insurance, and a sign of good faith that the guy's willing to toss a day to sell his car to you.

Would be good to put something in writing, if possible.

20. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I think it is completely reasonable. $300 for an entire day of my time, that would be a bargain. The gentleman obviously wants to sell the car or he wouldn't waste at least 6 hours of his day, 4 of those driving. Seems like a fair deal.
    Darrell

21. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    More than fair IMO. I would NOT do that for a buyer. When I bought my 360, I paid for flatbed transport and the cost of the PPI. The guy I bought the car from would never have driven it 2 hrs each way along with waiting at the shop. If they guy is willing to waste a day so you can get peace of mind more power to him.

22. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Ditto, Ditto