How many UNBUILT models do you have? | FerrariChat

How many UNBUILT models do you have?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by ryalex, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Sure, we see the ones pictured we've finished... but more impressive is my stock of ones that I haven't touched yet :D! I think I have 8 unopened...

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ouch! What a nerve you hit there!

OTOH a friend of mine who is a REAL modeler has a garage full of unopened kits. He is just so meticulous, that a model can take him years. He always calls me "the world's fastest modeler", which is somewhat of a left handed compliment. I might be fast, but it shows in the result...And still I have many unfinished models. Actually not that many in boxes, but half finished models all over the place. Once a model reaches a certain point I'm getting bored and start a new one. Bad habit, I know.

I'm even worse with books. Got more unread books on the "to read" pile than unopened models. Just not enough time in life for everything. Helas!

PS: At least I know, that once I retire I won't be one of those people who don't know what to do with all their time. I'll be busy to the day I'm called to the big modeler's shop in the sky.

3. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL. Happiness is opening an MRC/Fujimi model and seeing it doesn't bother to have an engine!

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I started a 90 corvette Zr-1 about 2 years ago.The interior is finished and has been for been for almost 2 years.I was painting the backup lights when i got some paint on the body.I tried to wipe it off and rubbed some of the body paint came off.I've never got around to sanding and repainting it.Someday I may actually finish it.

5. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #5 Prowler, Jan 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    at present...25 yet to be started.

1 unstarted pocher f40(with imsa transkit(pic below),1 partially built f40
    1 pocher porsche 996
    1 accurate miniatures 1/24 mclaren m8b
    1 1/20 tamiya ferrari f310b
    1 1/20 tamiya ferrari f1 2000
    1 1/20 mazda 787b
    1 1/20 nissan r89c
    1 1/20 sauber-mercedes c9
    1 1/12 tamiya ferrari 641/2 with transkit

several military and mototrcycle models yet to be started.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #6 Prowler, Jan 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

i'm like that with magazines

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Man, this thread makes me feel better. Less guilty is the word I guess.

Prowler, that F40 is beautiful. But I'm surprised to see all those different scales.

Maybe I'm too serious about that, but scale is everything to me. I rather not buy/build a model than have it in the wrong scale. If I end up with a model in the wrong scale, I normally give it as a gift to somebody. Here's my credo:

1/10 for R/C
    1/18 for displays
    1/32 for slot cars
    1/1 for driving :)

9. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    I have about two dozen sitting on my bench waiting for me to get the time to work on them. School starts today, Compiler design, i.e. ***** of a course, and I don't think I'm going to be spending much time this spring working on models. To complicate things further, car manufacturers come out with new models, i.e. the Enzo, which to keep my collection complete, I must have! I've got a 288GTO, F40, F50, so the Enzo is an obvious choice. Plus I'm sure a new V8 car will be out and Ill have to get one of those, otherwise my 308, 328, 348, 355, 360 collection will suddenly be incomplete. It never ends. I recently got all the kit parts I need to build a model of my RV, and found some sheet plastic to do the coachwork, so there's ANOTHER project waiting to happen. I do have the trim and carpet done on my 246 GT, but it'll be summer by the time I get that car done.

It goes like this:

(( - - - - - - - ))
    Stuff

(( ))
    Time

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Carl, that's the best avatar i've seen...! Awesome...! i wanna take a bat to the copier we have here... That and to my bosses decision NOT to get the extended warranty/service plan... Argh...!

11. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
  12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    lol

Office space is for sure one of the best movies ever.

Andreas - I hear yah - I can't believe there are people that are bored and don't know what to do with their time - I am always in search of more time! I have too many hobbies I fear.

13. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt

nah...i like to build in all scales,in fact the bigger the better for me...i like to have as much detail as i can.i'm a pack rat...i have a couple thousand magazines....they provide good reference when i need it...lol

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have a 1:24 Magnum P.I. Ferrari 308GTS,still needs to be built. I found it at an Auto Show about 3 years ago ($15.00) Still in original shrinkwrap,but the box was a little faded. Also,I have 2-1966 Pontiac GTO's. (First car I ever owned when I was 15-1975) 1 is plastic,the other is steel. Both are 1:24. I want to get a little spray gun,and learn how to spray them. Seem to look much better that way. I haven't built a model since I was 13 or 14,and remember that Enamel paint and Brush wasn't all that great! :) I eventually want to try to find a model of every car that I've ever owned,and paint them the same colors as the real ones were that I had. But,I've owned almost 30 cars in almost as many years. Several at once on several occassions.(Got 3 now) All of my Muscle cars should be very easy to find. But,regular cars,and work cars will probably be hard.('74 Coupe DeVille,'78 Coupe DeVille,'78 LeBaron,'72 Gran Torino,to name a few) My 81 year old Father-in-law wants to do the same.I already found him a '41 Chevy Convertible. But,need to find a '40 Coupe. His '55 and '57 Chevy's will be a piece of cake. '86 Riviera,and '98 Towncar...I don't think so! And,as far as Ferrari models go. I buy them in all scales. Have only 10 1:18,but,about 50 little Hotwheels Ferrari's. And,another 1:24 scale 308.I also have several Ferrari pictures,posters,signs,decals,etc... (and,a 1:1 scale '81 308GTSi :) )

15. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    this being my first post and all....i have over 500 unbuilt military kits, but took a break from them to concentrate on the ever growing collection of 1/43 kits of which i have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50....currently i'm working on an ma scale models 1969 612p amon can-am that raced at mid-ohio, a bbr 2001 monza black nose schumacher, and a bbr 1970 ickx/schetty lemans 512s....the amon can am car is for a client and the other 2 are for my collection...i'll enclose the link to my webshots page so tha you can view some examples of my work.....once you get past the miltary items you'll see some of my 1/43 pieces.....
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jjryder

16. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    Sorry I only have radio Controlled cars and I have 2 that waiting for me to build.One Tamiya 1/10 Alfa Romeo Spider Julia and a Tamiya 1/10 Ferrari F310 Michael Schumacher

17. Armand

Armand Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    Armand
    Only one,

1/20 Tamiya GP Collection #24
    Ferrari F1 89 Portuguese GP, Late version.
    I think they called it the late version, as it has the airbox above and behind the driver, as compared to the original 639 Mansell drove in Brazil.

Its opened, but all of the bagged parts aren't.

Armand.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I have no unopened kits, I'm working at 4 at this time :), all projects are lying still now, because of another big project that takes all my free time. I can't spray the models very well, so there are 2 (F40 Red/Red and a 360 Spider Black/Tan) that only have to be sprayed, and 2 others that are just started (F1-89 and the Enzo that will be Yellow I think

19. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    Unbuilt:

BBR 250 GTO Ulf Norinder
    BBR 250 Lusso TDF 1964
    BBR 360 Modena LM Auto Palace
    Tamiya 312 T3

At moment i am working in the following models:

Provence Moulage 250 Breadvan
    Tron 166 Allemano MM Biondetti

I am also making some improvements in a Fiat 642 Ferrari transporter from Old Cars.

20. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Great topic!

Unbuilt:

Tamiya 1/12 Datsun 240zg
    Fujimi 1/24 Datsun 240z

Just started a couple days ago:

Fujimi 1/24 85 Porsche 930

Currently procuring:

Fujimi 1/24 73 Porsche Carrera RS
    Fujimi 1/24 74 Porsche Carrera RS
    Fujimi 1/24 72 Datsun 240zg
    Fujimi 1/24 73 Ferrari Daytona

Gotta fire up the airbrush, it's gonna be a long winter here in Detroit!!

21. Armand

Armand Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    Armand
    By the way, If anyone is interested in this F1 640, I will sell it.
    I have a lot of built Ferrari's and already have this model in another scale. So if interested, let me know.

Armand.

22. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've resorted to bbuying Bburago and Hotwheels. I still have the same box of unassembled models.

23. nniemi

nniemi Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Turku, Finland
    Full Name:
    Niko Niemi
    Hello,

I have currently about 25 1/24 Ferrari kits that are unopened. Plus 20 that are in some stage of being built and about 30 built. I also have And that is a small collection. I know guys that have over thousand unbuilt kits.

-Niko

24. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    I'm one of those guys. I had well over a 1000 unbuilt kits the last time I counted several years ago. Most are 25th scale muscle cars and cars from the 50's/60's/70's from AMT/MPC/REVELL/MONOGRAM. Vettes, Chevelles, Mopars basically everything. I think I have over a 1000 just in this catagory alone. Also lots of resin cars from the same era.

I also have several hundred resin kits of 24th scale sports cars, mostly Ferrari of course. Thats just the personal collection.

I am also in the business of building model cars and selling them as well as the kits. In stock I try to keep as much as I can. Its usually several hundred kits in various scales. 24th and 43rd are the most popular.

Its gets out of control before you know it.

Ed
    Island Collectibles, Inc

25. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    I have aroud 400 unbuilt...but I plan to live til I'm 350 years old so no problem.