365/512 BBLM project | FerrariChat

365/512 BBLM project

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gte250, Oct 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
  2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    There is an Osprey book on Boxers you may want to locate, has a lot of photos. Also, you may want to find a scale model of the car, some of them are extremely accurate.

What is the history of the car you are using?

3. ferraristiforlife

Jul 27, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Michael
  4. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    What was wrong with the car prior to taking it apart? Just curious if it was a nice example or a beat to death turd that is being reborn as an LM. I want to see more pics for sure.

P.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Alwin; keep us posted on your progress please.
    I have a 512bblm project that I've stopped working on for it seems that more $ will be in it than its worth for me. It looks as if your car is using the steel panels vs fiberglass for mine. I was thinking of using a 512TR engine/drivetrain for its more bulletproof nature.
    Symbolic motors invited me out there years ago when they had 3 BBLMs in the showroom. I took 2 rolls of film. It seems to me that any normal race car fabricating techniques will work as the ones there were not high tech by any means.
    There were 3 at Cavalino this year, all in exceptional condition. One fellow said he had molds for the panels but in the Silohette/wide body version like mine. My take is that they can be built stronger, faster, and less expensive by using "normal" race car parts than with original Ferrari components. Kinda like the Bionic Man.
    ITS THE BIONIC BOXER !

7. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
    Car was damaged in roadaccident.
    All steel panels will be removed and replaced by carbonfiber in the wider shape. Almost everyting is drilled to save weight or tubes copied from the 512 bblm
    Do you have pictures of your project? I need some photos from the dashboard of the 365 BBLM nart.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #8 WILLIAM H, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you are refering to this car, a friend of mine owns it, I can get you in touch with him if you send me your email or phone #. He lives in NY
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dave thats cool. Bob Wallace is building my race trans in AZ for my 512TR racer, Maybe next year I'll have the engine modded a little bit to make 600-700 hp NA

at Lime Rock I was maybe 1 second behind a pair of BBLMs but that was the Only time I got to run my car all year so I was very rusty.

10. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    William,
    Just curious, what kind of times you were running at Lime Rock in the TR?

John

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I did 1:00:9 in my road 512TR

Best time so far in the racer was 1:02 but I was really lit in the road car & rusty in the race car.

I am sure w some practice & new tires I can easily see 0:58 in the race car :)

LRP gets scarey down near 1:00

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #12 RP, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A friend of mine has a set of original wheels that will fit a 512 s or p3/p4 I think. They're the real big star shaped ones with the deep centre type thing. I'm pretty sure they've been crack tested, replated and painted in that gold colour. He bought them for bblm project that never happened. If anyone needs a set pm me. He told me he'd like to sell them as his project never took off.

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  15. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Err...yes, I can send you pics of my project but its easier if you just imagine a tube frame with dusty fiberglass body panels stacked on it surrounded by boxes of suspension pieces, gauges, bolts ,wheels ,Ad infinitum.
    I semi-lovingly call it " The project from Hell ".
    If you want pics of the 3 boxers, let me find them first. I assume I have the negatives but if not I can copy the dash pics on a color copier and send them by mail. I do not have pics of the 365 NART car, only 512BBLMs

16. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yank the Sluts turbo motor; That'l teach em.

17. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
    yes please [email protected]

Alwin Hietbrink
    www.hietbrink.com

18. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain

Where did you start? are there any plans for something of this nature? Or did you do all the designing your self?

also, did you use the factory frame or fab that as well?

19. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
    start with a standard crashed BBi. designing the body and construction (customized frame) by myself (with help of a lot of photo's and ferrarichat/telaio)

20. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Sent an E-mail.

About 10 yrs ago someone was advertising reproduction BBLM tube frames in Hemmings. Does anyone know of a frame available or of this company ?

21. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
  22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I just left Roebling Road in Savannah Ga USA and saw the BBLM run at a Targa66 event. This is the one car I would have to own. The owner said the prices just tripled as they have been accepted in the European Historics.

"Cavalino 148" prices the 1979-80 BB 512 LM $375-555. This seemed rather a bargin, considering the lofty prices Ferrari race cars are now bringing. How many were made? If my memory serves me, the owner indicated 27 of 32 cars exist, with 39 motors made.

If you ever have the chance to attend a Targa66 event do so. Brian Redman and Vic Elford were delightful. For me at least, it's an extrodinary event when I am able to hear first hand stories direct from the "legends of motorsport". And then to see the BBLM run....what more could you ask for.

www.targa66.com Go to the member logon site, and click on photo gallery

23. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Not sure bu I would also like to know. However, I do know that there is two owned by a Canadian collecter here.

V.

24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  25. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
    I am looking for rear indicator lights, rear lights and chrome bezels for these lights (365GT4 BB or 365 GTB/4 Daytona) and a mirror LHS electric door mirror 512BBi
    Ramtubes for 512 BBLM, dropgear casing BBLM
    mailto [email protected]

Alwin