Might be looking for my first F-CAR | FerrariChat

Might be looking for my first F-CAR

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ara, Oct 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ara

ara Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westmount, Quebec
    hey guys, the time has come for me to buy myself a nice toy over the winter, i have been considering all kinds of cars, from the z06, to a viper gts, to a mustang cobra (one of my first car loves) and looked on ebay and realized i can get a nice 348 imported to canada with all the service done for under 80 000$, i can afford to get more but i have caped my budget to 80 000$ as i'd like to reinvest my money.

Now i have two issues, i'm tall, and i don't know if i fit in the 348, i don't want to go to the dealer and ask them, because i've been goign there forever to check out cars, and they might not take me seriously. The particular cars i'm looking at are 348 spiders with higher mileage, 20 000 miles, i like that better than the garage queens as these cars have been sorted out. Now realistically how much upkeep am i looking at for these cars, i would keep my jetta for daily duties and have the car for the weekend, i can spend 5 000 a year, i could go more, but i rather invest the money if you know what i'm saying.

And if you know of any nice 348, coupe or spider, please let me know, i'm also considering the 328 gts, < i've always loved the car, and i always thought that even if i could buy something newer, my dream was to start from the first ferrari that i fell in love with 328 and move up each generation.

Thank you very much
    Ara

2. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Looks like your stepping up :) 348's and 328's are both great choices! From what i remmeber you live in Montreal, therefore im sure Steve Maman can get you what your looking for.
    He actually has a 348TB and 2 328 GTS's in stock currently. His website:
    www.exoticaronline.com
    Good Luck with your search!

3. ara

ara Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westmount, Quebec
    hey thanks, yes i live in montreal. I know it'll be fun to have my first ferrari next summer, but all the cars i'm considering are also very tempting. We'll see what happens. Did you go to SCP? if so my cousins z06 was on display, it is one of the most beautifull cars i have ever seen in my life, the attention to detail is rediculous on that car, the pics will be up monday. I'll post them hopefully sometime this week.

My first time in a ferrari was in a 348 spider, and i still remember how i was shaking and shivering from excitement, it was sureal. I just hope i fit in the cars.

4. Carrera_gtcrazy

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    May i ask what SCP is? I myself am not a Hug fan of Corvette's, Yes the C5 Z06 is a powerhouse, but its not my cup of tea, Im more of a Porsche, Ferrari guy :)

5. ara

ara Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westmount, Quebec
    it's the big modified car show at the olympic stadium, i know how some feel about vettes, but you have to see my cousins, your jaw will drop, custom widebody, the first vette with 22's in the world, supercharger, custom leather interior (we supplied the leather), it's rediculous, wait till the pics come out.

6. Carrera_gtcrazy

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Oh ive heard of this show. Its mostly highly ugly modified Honda's. Not my style. Well lets see these's Corvette Pictures then :)

7. ara

ara Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westmount, Quebec
    the pics should be out after the show, ya the cars arent my style either, only the vette and the supras did my thing.

8. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    Imo too much rice and posers at those shows for me, but somtimes they do have really decently moded NSX`s and supras, but other then that its not my style...

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    FoQ will take you seriously the minute you flash the cash.

Last time I was at Luigi's in August he had an 89' 348TB for about $65K...but keep in mind that he is still selective with who the cars he services are sold to.

Autolux and Auto Bugatti are good spots to do your search as well.

As for Scotti's.....er ummm....keep walking.

10. ara

ara Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westmount, Quebec
    hehe, i'm we're friends with the scottis, but they don't have the cars i'm looking for, except a few vipers, will have to see those, if i fit.

Bugatti sounds nice, i'll check it out, i'll be ready to buy december/january, i don't want to buy from luigi, when i was younger he treated me like **** when i was inquiring for a family member, well let's just say he bought his brand new (then) 348 spider and later on 550 maranello from somewhere else, will never forget that.

11. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    LOL!!!! That sounds so familiar!!!!! He treated me like absolute garbage the first time I introduced myself. And later that same day, he hands me the keys to his silver Testarossa and allowed me to go for a spin, with his son-in-law in the passenger's seat of course.

Needless to say, our rapport is far better today. You just got to know how to digest him.

12. TOC

TOC Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    John T
    Auto Bugatti has a '94 348 Spider with 19000 KM

13. ara

ara Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westmount, Quebec
    how much for the spider? is there more room in the berlinetta?

14. TOC

TOC Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    John T
    I'm not sure how much he is asking for it. At least go there and sit in it to see if you fit. I don't think there is much difference in head room between the TB & Spider

15. TOC

TOC Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    John T
    does your cousin with the vette z06 live in saint-laurent?
    i've seen a dark color z06 w/ 22's

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Ara,
    I will add my .2 cents here..take it for whats it worth.

First, you need to decide if you want a ferrari. I cannot preach this enough to anyone when looking. Making any type of comparison with a vette or viper, or anything else is not apples with apples.

Ferraris are a passion, and are different, if your looking at 80k with 5k a year, you can easily afford a good 348, 328, maybe even if lucky a decent TR. The minute you start to compare a 20 year old ferrari to a new car you might as well buy peaches, and chocolate bars for breakfast.....

Once you decide, then start your search into fcar world and start to compare cars in the same vaule and then work your way from there. Once you do some leg work like this, you will find your car, via a gut feeling. Youll know its yours when you see it. If your also thinking ferrari from now to spring, you may not find your car. From personally experience it took me 3 full yrs before I found my car. I have not looked back since, and have loved my experience.

Yes there will be faster fcars, vipers, and z06s.....but for 20grand I can build a car faster than theirs if I wanted just a fast car to 1/4 mile or in a straight.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your find.

Rick.

17. ara

ara Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westmount, Quebec
    yes he lives in st-laurent.

I have a real passion for ferraris, as well as the other cars i mentioned, i guess i will go and sit in some, sit in the cars i want. See which i want. I don't want a testarossa, doesn't do it for me, unless it's a 512 tr, we'll see what happens. it's not so much the headroom in the cars, it's the leg room and shoulder room, i am a 48 and sometimes a 50 in blazers, my shoulders are wide. But we'll see.

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Im a 46 at 6'0 240lbs and I fit just fine. The 308 is a different story.

19. TOC

TOC Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    John T
    I've seen his vette, it's everything you've described. I live near by.

20. Carrera_gtcrazy

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    John you have a PM. :)

21. RAISIN

RAISIN Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    BACK IN BLACK
    First of all do not listen to big red.... Listen to what you want out of a car. Tom can tell you the distinct diffrences in the vehicles. I was looking for a car that could perform and handle on the road.

I have always said a Ferrari is an exotic no doubt about it. But the Z06 is a true performance vehicle that was built in America and it will always be an American made car.

Now G.M has finally fixed a problem that will take some time for all true sport car drivers to understand. THEY FINALLY ARE MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

There is huge glamour in driving a Ferrari and that is not a shot. If you want to push yourself and expeince true speed and handling of a newer vehicle in a price range that fits your pocket then you go with a Viper or a Z06 or a Porsche. You can buy an older Ferrari at the same dollar value but it will feel different due to the age of the vehicle.

22. RAISIN

RAISIN Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    BACK IN BLACK
    I take exception to your comments Rick as you were with me looking at Z06's and your first response was damn what a car. So quit the B.S and spend the $20,000 if you think it will make your car faster. You know my car handles great and you have always admired the car.

Seacrest OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

23. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    No doubt RAISIN has some passion, which suprised me to hell that he bought a car full of plastic that drives very fast.

I like the Z06, and will in sometime buy a vette, but once again not missing the point my good FREIND....apples and oranges. There is a feeling you will get while driving a ferrari that no vette or viper or any muscle car can give you.

Typically, a vette buyer is not the same as a ferrari buyer (at least not the first time around).

As for 20k on a car. I can easily buy an 90 mustang for 4-5 k CDN, and slap 15k into a nice big block with some NOS and smoke all Z06s all day long.

But that would be too easy !!

PS..If i get Mario to do it for me, i will only spend 15 CDN...lol

Ciao.

Rick.

24. TOC

TOC Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    John T
    what do you mean by "PM"

25. Carrera_gtcrazy

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Private Message. at the top of the page iwhere it says Ferrarichat.com, under it you will see Private Messages. Click on this and you will find i sent you a message.
    Sorry for the Miss understanding.