456gt wont start | FerrariChat

456gt wont start

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by prancin horse, Oct 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prancin horse

prancin horse Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    chris
    it is a 95. when i turn the key all lights work but pumps and engine do not turn over. I replaced the battery and have same results. All fuses checked out ok, yet the radio and climate controls do not function. anyone have any ideas?

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i dont own a 456, but i would next check your relays and see if there is another one the same as the fuel pump relay. switch the relays out and see if the fuel pumps work, and if the other component has now failed. if you cant get it to a shop, get a multimeter and check the big, obvious pathways. if you have other stuff out in the dash i would suspect an ignition switch or ignition relay failure also. again i am just a dumb carb 308 guy :) ...... best wishes.

3. prancin horse

prancin horse Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    chris
    thanks for the advice. I have only had the car for 3 weeks. it only has 8100 miles on it and has been running great.

4. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    I was cleaning my fuse contatcts today, noticed the radio and a/c are on the same fuse circuit. Are you really sure the fuse is OK? Try swopping in another one.
    Also clean up the fuse contacts, they get tarnished.
    Regards,
    Ron

5. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    I am also wondering if the battery is low on voltage - the main engine ECU(s) sense low battery voltage and presumably nothing works then.
    Regards,
    Ron

6. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Now I see you replaced the battery too, that leaves the pump relays as said before or the ECU itself. Try cleaning the contacts on the pump relays and test out the relay by applying 12V to low current side (smaller terminals) and listen for click of relay.
    Regards,
    Ron

7. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    You say it doesn't turn over? By this, do you mean that the starter doesn't even spin when you turn the key? If so, I suspect a fault at the ignition switch itself, because though I've never examined a 456 or any modern Ferrari for that matter, I've never seen a car that had the ignition switch to starter protected by a fuse. The other non-functioning items may be fuse protected though so checking all the fuses is a good idea regardless.

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It sounds like the factory alarm system may be malfuctioning. Is the alarm system LED on the dash illuminated? Do you get any response from the alarm system when you try to disarm it?

Brian