The day Mercedes - Benz Died. An AMG Tuned 300C | FerrariChat

The day Mercedes - Benz Died. An AMG Tuned 300C

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ClassicFerrari, Oct 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  2. Goose

Goose Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Kent, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What do you mean AMG tuned? It has a 6.1L Hemi engine in it.

3. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    AMG does a 6.3 L

4. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    That was I wondering. I read the article and I don't see anywhere where they explicitly say its an AMG tuned car. We have:

"For those whose free time is completely taken up by reruns of VH1's Strange Love, the SRT division of Chrysler and Dodge is akin to Mercedes-Benz's AMG and BMW's M division in that they take regular production cars and up the ante until they have about 50 more horsepower than you'd expect."

and

" Following the logic of AMG's offerings, the German automaker's American operations do not offer a clutch pedal. Manual transmissions in sedans this large and with this much power somehow feel out of place and too often suffer from high efforts that make them difficult to drive smoothly."

which could go either way depending on how you interpet that to be AMGs work on this or the fact that DaimlyerChrysler is considered(don't know for sure) as German owned and they're referring to Chrysler as the German's American offering.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Looks like a comparible offering, not a collaboration.

I'll agree with you about love lost for MB though. My love died when the bean counters got final say instead of the engineers.

FWIW, the AMG symbol is right on par with BMW's M symbol. Both symbols, at one time, were an indicator the driver knew how to drive(or at least indicated an interest in learning) and appreciated fast cars. Sadly, both are now little more than ancillary dressing to go with the latest LV bag.

6. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    The 300 chassis (LX Platform) is basically a watered down E Class anyway :shrug:

7. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    i dont see why it would make you askamed of mb if amg did tune this car, which they didnt, because it is a beast. chrysler makes good cars, even though they are american, they are getting thier act together lately.

8. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Yeah I was looking further into it and it seems AMG might not be "in" the new 300C. It was just an inspiration.

But still, I have been sick to my stomach ever since the 2 merged and I have been dying to speak out LOL.

Even if there is no AMG in the 300 (I understand it's a hemi) it seems there is still a big mix of the two in all the models now. It's too bad. :(

When I see AMG and Chrysler in the same article I cringe. AMG Inspired 300C??? *puke*

Vasco.

9. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Have you seen what ford's been up to? (jaguar, aston, etc.)

10. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The '02 MBZ SL500 Silver Arrow & '99 MBZ S500 Grand Edition are the best "modern" Mercedes.

Everything else does not interest me anymore.

11. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    doesn't the 'M' in AMG stand for Mercedes?
    I don't think they would tune a 300C...
    Either that or there's something going on that I don't know about which is quite possible.

12. Goose

Goose Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Kent, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael
    AMG is derived from the original founders' initials: Hans-Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, as well as the town in Germany where Aufrecht was born, Grossaspach.

13. kfm

kfm Karting

Jul 19, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The company's name comes from its founders' (Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher) last names and the German town of Großaspach, thus "AMG."

14. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    Meh The 300c is a super great car for the money 345 for under 40,000 :D if I need four doors this will be on my list and teh SRT-8 is even better 425 for under 60,000 but a what a SRT-10 with :D :D VIPER POWER :D :D :p

15. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    this thread is incorrect and misleading.
    this is not an AMG tuned 300C.

The Crossfire SRT-6 does have an old SLK chassis and SLK 32 AMG's SC V6.

having said that, have Brabus died from tuning Chrysler products under the name Startech?

16. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    The car isn't tuned by AMG. Chrysler doesn't need anybody's help to make horsepower.

17. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    No kidding. But keep the Benz name away from it LOL

The 300C is actually a great car.

Nothing against Chrysler directly. Just hate driving an S500 and feel like I am driving an intrepid.