QA-1 | FerrariChat

QA-1

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by walawdog, Oct 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I am thinking about putting some QA-1s on my 1978 308, and I wanted to know if anyone could supply the proper spacers for the mounting, or maybe you can point me to someone who made them for your application. Thanks.

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hey Tony,
    Contact Jdubba in the NW section. He has QA1's on his '78. He should be able to fill you in on all of the ins and outs of installation and ride height.
    DJ

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I just used hardened washers from Home Depot. I think it's 2 or 3 per side of the shock head.

Actually, my shocks are Varishocks, and my springs are QA-1s. I had to ream out the verrules a bit in order for the stock Ferrari shock bolt to go through them. Maybe QA-1 shocks have a different shock head, I don't know..

Greg
    1977 308 GTB USA

4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    The QA-1s have two mounting issues:

1) The 308 mounting bolts are 12 mm not 9/16th or 5/8ths, (the sizes of the supplied bushings). If you install the shocks with the stock mounting bolt in a loose "hole", it will pound the bolt and break it - it has to be tight or at least fairly snug.

2) Much less serious, the mounting bushings are too narrow for the 308 mounts. You can add washers at the top and bottom of the front and at the top in the rear. This is a minor PITA trying to line up all the bits and pieces.

The critical issue is the botom rear mount. The casting to which the shock mounts is brittle. This means that if you only get close with the washers trying to make the bottom bushing fit tight, then you tighten up the bolt, you just might break off one of the mounting "ears". It might not happen n installation but maybe later??? To quote Mr Carroll Smith, "nothing good has ever been reported about a broken suspension casting". Well, maybe a paraphrasing.

Verell Boaen of Unobtanium Supply fame came to my rescue, by machining a set of bushings to make the QA-1s fit properly.

This is what it takes to make these shocks work.

hth,
    chris