'88 Mondial engine coolant overflowing | FerrariChat

'88 Mondial engine coolant overflowing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by crazy horse, Oct 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy horse

crazy horse Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    from the rear excess drain after running the car ? Is the level too high or is it caused by more serious underlying problems ? Thanks

2. Mondialmike

Mondialmike Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike Hunnisett
    Are you using the correct 1.1Bar pressure cap? Should have been std from 1983 onwards I think, previously rated at only 0.9bar.

3. crazy horse

crazy horse Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I'll have to check. Never had this problem before and the engine temp is normal.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It could be a few things. I would start by making sure that your cooling system has all the air bled out of it. If that doesn't do the trick you my need a new thermostat. Have a look to see that you don't have a small leak from one of the hoses, or a radiator.

5. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I had an 88 Mondial coupe doing the same thing. I went to the parts store and for $6 or something I got a new cap. Problem solved. Take your old one in and don't tell them it's from a Ferrari. I forgot, but some other make uses the same one. The dealer told me who the maker was but I can't remember. take it with you so they can run in back and match it up. Good luck.

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Your cap would be tested by most technicians as part of a service.

7. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    crazyhorse, you haven't told us if you recently flushed the cooling system, topped it up, or this sudden urinating is caused by the full moon. A "normal" car with a well functioning cooling system will piss a little coolant the first few times the car is driven after servicing the system. The expansion tank will be about half full/half empty once the foam settles.
    I have seen the "neck" on the tank become warped so no matter whose cap you put on, it won't seal. Put a straight edge across the top of the neck to verify. The car came equipped with a 4-ear 0.9bar cap from the factory. Ferrari has superseded this cap (101499) to a 1.1bar cap (137644).
    Ernie brings up a good point about bleeding the air out of the system. Crack open the bleed screws on the radiator and the top of the thermostat housing. Close the radiator bleeder once you get a steady dribble then do the same to the one on the t-stat housing. Radiator one first as it's lower in the system.
    Another thing to check is the idler pulley for the w/p belt. The pulley has two bearings pressed into the center of it. I have recently (last two years or so) seen many of these fail. This causes the aluminum pulley to spin slower or stop completely obviously affecting the performance of the w/p. The Gates belt usually cuts grooves into the sides of the aluminum pulley. If you see shiny aluminum in the "V" of the pulley, I would recommend replacing the bearings and the pulley. Pulley (121405) is NLA from Ferrari, but earlier cars used an identical steel pulley with the same (105038) bearings in it. Any QV and 3.2 with separate w/p and alternator belts use this pulley setup.
    BTW, the A/C idler pulley (also aluminum) uses the same bearings in it.
    One final check for all 3.0 and 3.2 V8 owners, check the alignment of the cooling pipe (p/n 108042?)from the thermostat housing to the lower R/F corner of the engine. If this is pushed too far into the hose on either end, it could rub against the alternator pulley. If pulled too far out, it can rub against the R/H fuel tank.

8. crazy horse

crazy horse Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks Brian for your very detailed answer. No I did not service or refill radiator in a while. Will go over your check list this week end.