355 F1 oil pressure education please | FerrariChat

355 F1 oil pressure education please

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mmm355, Oct 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    I've read through the manual and i'm probably being thick but it's not telling me what I wnat to know in plain english. Can someone please give me a few pointers re oil pressure? What should it read normally, warning signs etc. I think it's ok at the mo but can't be 100% sure. Cheers in advance:)

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Under normal working conditions the oil pressure should be somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 bar, this is with the engine running at 6000rpm and an oil temperature of 100°C.

When the engine is warm and idling a pressure of less than 4.5 bar should be considered normal.

Also bear in mind that what you are reading on your guage is an average reading sent from an electric sender unit, the only way to register an accurate reading is to install a master guage at the oil filter housing assembley.

As a point what oil / type are you using?

3. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks v much. Shell Helix Ultra - that's the recommended stuff right?

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W

Yes SAE 5W-40

5. Sega355

Sega355 Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Hong Kong
    After making an oil change 2 weeks ago. My F355 is reading at "1" on the oil pressure gauge when engine is hot while idle.
    Even when I drive it hard, I get reading of no more than "5".

Then I change oil agan with Helix 5w40 again and still has the same reading. Two shops checked my car and has no explaination for it. Is my oil pressure gauge broken? or sensor? or is it something wrong with my F355?

My F355's performance is still normal.

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    If you're concerned the first step is to have a master (mechanical) guage fitted at the oil filter housing (where the sender unit is) and see what the ACTUAL readings are.

I assume you are using a Ferrari oil filter.

7. jasonSF

jasonSF Karting

Jan 23, 2005
    North Essex
    Full Name:
    Jason F
    confused! My oil pressure guage does not have these numbers on it at all. Number 1, 5????? my 355 has number 70 at the centre reading of the meter. Can anyone explain please.

8. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Basically most LHD markets have guages measured in "bar" whilst most RHD markets have guages measured in "lb's per square inch."

9. jasonSF

jasonSF Karting

Jan 23, 2005
    North Essex
    Full Name:
    Jason F
    thanks, but how many bar is 70 lbs?

10. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G

Conversion is :
    1 psi = 0.06895 bar
    1 bar = 14.50326 psi

11. Sega355

Sega355 Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Hong Kong
    It is a black color oil filter, I think it is Ferrari oil filter. I paid US$160 for just the oil change. So it better be a Ferrari brand oil filter. The shop tood me they hooked up a mechanical gauge and showed the oil pressure "is" lower than normal. They also told me there is a slight oil leak. The engine will have to drop down and fix the oil leak, then the oil pressure will be fixed. I didn't believe the oil leak leads to low oil pressure, so I took the car back.