Mondial help - Turn Signal, Clutch slave | FerrariChat

Mondial help - Turn Signal, Clutch slave

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ZR1Owner, Oct 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZR1Owner

ZR1Owner Rookie

Oct 17, 2005
    Wheaton, IL
    Full Name:
    Greg Higgins
    Hi all
    I know that to die hard fans the 1982 Mondial isn't exactly the prime Ferrari to own, but its my first! I am usually a corvette guy, and was planning on making a V8 fiero (don't worry...no Ferrari kit body) when I found this Ferrari. For the price of the Fiero, V8 conversion and related costs, I am into the cost of the Mondial I found. It has about 49K miles on it.
    I literally bought it unseen, only from pictures online, and its needs work. Risks are part of life, so I am taking a few here, but think I did alright. In fact, as I looked around this site, I found the car I bought mentioned by some of you, with dire fears expressed from some as to what fool would buy it! Well, here I am! Time will tell if I was foolish or not. I am used to paying a couple of grand per year to keep my vettes in shape, so the having to do so to the Mondial isn't frightening. I only paid $11K for it! I know what you are saying...what is wrong with it! Well, here it is:

Needs a clutch slave
    Needs the directional stalk replaced
    Needs new seats, carpet, and probably a few misc interior pieces
    Could stand a paint job, but wth a good buff and polish, it wil get me a year until the mechanical is done.

As with all cars, I'm sure there are 2 or 3 other things that slipped the owners mind, but that is part of the used car game. Overall, I think I did OK even if the repairs cost me 3-4K for the mechanical and 2-3 K for the interior, compared with more pefect cars I have seen online. I have no idea about the timing belt, so will atend to that as well unless the records show a recent change. I do not plan on a Concours restoration, but merely want to have a god looking fun car to drive....maybe even in the rain!

Could anyone help me with info for repairs for the above needs (costs, parts difficulties, sources for parts, other info)? Did a search but didn't find much.
    I would also greatly appreciate any mechanic information on non-dealer mechanics in the greater Chicago area.

Any other helpful info for a newbie owner of a Mondial woud also be great. Thanks for your help!

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Congrats on your new Mondial! They are great cars!

Boy, you picked a couple things that are a pain though.

The clutch slave can be rebuilt. It just needs a new seal I'm sure, as mine did. The problem is that it's a PAIN to get the new seal onto the piston without breaking it. I built a tool to do it. They rip you off for the seal from Ferrari to the tune of about $50 for a rubber seal. You can get it from Ferrari UK after you register with them and get a login and password. Go to the Ferrari owners site (www.owners.ferrari.com).

I found a seal that fits, although it a bit tight, after I destroyed the $50 Ferrari seal trying to put it on. That's when I made the installation tool on my lathe. If you attempt it yourself, I can loan you the tool. If you want to send me the piston from the slave cylinder, I will install one of my McMaster-Carr replacements for free. You will find that it will be tight to get it back into the cylinder, but it will work fine. Mine has been great all summer. The seal from McMaster carr was $.50. You should hone the cylinder before replacing the seal or it will scuff up the new seal and start leaking before long.

As for the turn signal stalk, you cannot buy a new one. They are not made anymore. The only person in the known universe who can fix it is our resident Fchat guru Verell (do a search for his name in the Tech Q&A section). He remolds a new plastic switch section on the end of the stalk. You will need to mail him the busted stalk. It ain't cheap, but it works. He did the headlight stalk on our Mondial.

Birdman

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Don't waste your time rebuilding the slave. Call T Rutlands 770-493-8852 for $100 and buy a new one.

Good luck.

4. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    Welcome to the exciting world of Ferrari.

Absent evidence of a very recent timing belt change (a receipt that you can hold the mechanic liable for), I would strongly urge you to get the belts changed. In my '87 Mondial Cabrio, you can have the belts changed without doing an engine out proceedure. Also, bring your car to a top notch mechanic so that he can do a full exam, equivalent to a "pre-purchase inspection" so that you know what the full story is. In this way you will be able to prioritize your work.

I've had Porches, have a MBZ and BMW, but nothing brings the smilely kid out in you like a Ferrari.

Regards,
    Al

5. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Congrats on your new car. Be sure to share pics.

6. ZR1Owner

ZR1Owner Rookie

Oct 17, 2005
    Wheaton, IL
    Full Name:
    Greg Higgins
    Thanks all! Keep that advice coming!
    G