Braso Cleaner? | FerrariChat

Braso Cleaner?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rareusgold, Oct 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #1 Rareusgold, Oct 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can I clean the brass screws and the tubes with braso? Or will I catch my engine on fire. They are showing signes of turning green. Plus does any one know where I can get a new replacement for the tube that goes into my airbox? Mine is staring to peal. I would like to replace it with the original type one. I know it is not as good but I am more concerned with it being original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Can't imagine your engine catching fire. I too need to clean up this area. I was told steel wool and WD40 will clean it up nice. Just haven't had time to do it...

3. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    On the air intake hose, original is good, but roughly $500-$600. Call your local dealer and they might be able to tell you. If not, Algar in Philly can. The foam insulation on mine degraded and fell apart. Instead of buying a new one, I took out the hose, cut off the black plastic jacket, removed the end caps and scraped off the degraded foam. I then straightened the hose and wrapped it with 1/2" foam held on by 3M spray adhesive. Cut it back so the ends would fit and (gasp) used a black plastic sheet I got at Home Depot to wrap it up tightly. I used silicone sealant inside the end caps where the wire mesh fit and I'm back in business and not getting bits of foam in my air cleaner. It actually looks good too. Originality is nice, but in the end I got more satisfaction from doing it myself and keeping my $550.

4. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thank you, I was wondering if it were possible to do what you just described. I guess the answer is YES!! I am getting my car ready for the Cavallino and do not want to have points taken off. Can you tell that you replaced it? Do you have pictures? It sounds like there would be no way to tell the difference. I would also like to have my 550 bucks in my pocket also. Mine as you can see is not bad yet. But I know it is enevitable.

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    nice looking engine bay Rich

6. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I wish I could take credit for it. But the car only has 6400 miles on it and the person I bought it from was meticulous about his car. I would like to keep it as nice as it is. If any one can let me know what they use to keep there engine bay clean I would apprecite it. It does not need any harsh cleaning just a little wipping down to remove some of the dust from driving and the green stuff on those bolts.

Do you cover the engine when you wash your car. I want to give it a nice wash and wax after this hurrican passes and do not know if I should drape a tarp over the engine and close the cover. This would stop all the run off from running over the engine. What are your guys thoughts on that?

Thanks.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are correct use GREAT CARE not to get engine bay wet!!! Avoid direct spray etc. on engine components..

I don't think Brasso would be right as that's not brass, but rather cadmium plating, right guys?????

I'm a drummer and Brasso is great for Ziljdian's, but not fuel lines!

Maybe the oil wipe is the best way to go, will retard further deterioration. Have fun at Cavallino it's a great event!

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I still have an aversion to Brasso from military days....

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I DID also use it on my Boy Scouts of America bugle!!!! LOL!

I still say it's cadmium plating, and best cleaned lightly.....the Ferrari, not the bugle....

10. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That is where I got the idea from. My father pulled it out and started telling me stories of how he used to clean he buckles in the Army with Brasso. I just thought it did such a good job I would try it. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Rich

11. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    "polishing" your bugle bubba.....?

12. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I agree with BigTex, it is Cadmium plating over metal. Clean with steel wool or Brasso you will get the "bare metal look". I think this would be a send off to the "platers job". Not sure if you could do a home tidy up that would work in the engine bay?

All the Cad plated parts will "polish off" to bare metal unfortunately. The metal is NOT brass - which does polish.

Phil #57579 (308 QV)

BTW 1 Are the green "dots" on the vacuum limiting device original ?? Not present in Australian 308QV's or 328's

BTW 2 The silk screen on the air cleaner top, a few years ago, was irreplaceable. I thought it was a decal, but it is silk-screened and once I cleaned it, some "cleaned off", and that was that. Yours looks pristine.

BTW 3 Have you noticed that the red paint on the plenum chamber "chips" off the top of the ribs a little? To freshen up I painted the edges, not worrying about getting it on the bare metal top of the "ribs" . Let it dry, then gently sanded with a 4"x6" block of flat wood with VERY fine grit (say 180) sandpaper laid flat on the ribs. Brought the tops of the ribs up nicely and made the paint finish "square".

13. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    If you're going for Cavallino then you're going to have to buy an original hose I would think to avoid deductions. My replacement looks good and functions just as well, but the black plastic sleeve differs from the original in appearance. For one I used a strip and wrapped it around like the grip of a tennis racquet. I don't think the original is done like that...

14. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    What a pretty car.

Rich, use WD-40 on the fuel lines and sparingly so an not to loosen the paint torque daubs. Looking at your pictures, look closely at the wiring harness leading into your CSI - mine (88.5/9600mi) only has the shrink wrap up to the base of the plug and not onto the plug itself. Perhaps a running change? I'm not sure about he configuration of the 89 airbox, but you mihgt be able to fit an earlier 328 "accordian" hose for daily driving and leave the 89 intake hose for show. Oh, drip at little WD-40 also into those airbox cover screws and use Q-tip to clean out rust.

:) Carl

15. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    BigTex and creafield are correct - your'e polishing cadmium over metal. The result is a shiny, chromey look once the cadmium plating has been polished off. For Concours judging, the purists will have each cadmium part re-plated (if it came that way originally). Polished metal can look much prettier than cadmium plating, but some judges may deduct points for non-authenticity. It's a Catch 22 situation as eventually the original factory cadmium plating will deteriorate due to heat, oxidation etc and once the gold look of the cadmium goes off it can look horrible. I've found Solvol Autosol (no affiliation) a good metal polish on my Concours car (a multi-winner). The cadmium parts on my car (now polished) are pinged for authenticity but marked up for cleanliness. Concouring is a minefield - don't let anybody tell you that its objective. All judges have their opinions and judging guidelines are just that, guidelines. By the way, I don't think Brasso would be flammable as you polish off the residue. Have you ever tried Brasso as a cutting compound on some auto paint - a car detailer/repairer friend of mine has used it to great effect.

16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #16 peterp, Oct 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Probably the best stuff to use for this is Rub n' Buff "Grecian Gold" available at arts and craft stores like Michaels. It will lightly color the metal to match the Cad finish without harming the cadmium -- apply it like a wax, let it dry for a long time and then buff off -- you can control the amount of color by how long you buff it. Although it seems like it would just wash off, it is actually amazingly durable (be careful to only put it on the spot you want to refinish -- it can be dificult to remove). I think Rub n' Buff is is a wax with ground metal in it -- whatever it is, it looks like pure metal when done rather than looking like the metal has been coated with something -- pretty amazing stuff. The Grecian Gold color is a good match because the gold has a bit of greenish tint to match the Cad finish. I applied it to one of my fuel lines in the photo below:

17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    BTW 1 Are the green "dots" on the vacuum limiting device original ?? Not present in Australian 308QV's or 328's

Actually the green dots where present in Australian 328's.

18. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What about Nev-R-Dul? Would that be gentle enough to clean but not to remove the cadmium plating?

19. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Did u mention steel wool? Noooooooooooo! Will remove plating! Soft toothbrush and Simple Green should do the trick. If it's corroded, you have to finesse it!

20. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I like S100 motorcycle cleaner for engine bay stuff.

21. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Replying to a thread from nearly 11 years ago - is that a record? :D

22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The information that we provide is timeless !! :) :)