Theft deterrants? | FerrariChat

Theft deterrants?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ROGUE GTS, Oct 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    Curious how far you guys go to protect your vehicles at home and when your out driving. Just the regular alarm enough, lo-jack, etc.?

I don't want any specifics, last thing we all need to do is give a public list to potential criminals, just a general idea of how extreme your precautions are.

Personally I have a pretty extensive alarm built into the truck, which combined with the standalone efi system makes it literally impossible to drive it. It's all custom wiring and would take me (who wired it all) a few hours to bypass the system. I feel it's fairly safe. But that doesn't stop someone from just yanking it on a flat bed and being on their way.

As for at home I have a fairly secure garage, has brackets built into the exterior doors to drop a 2x4 in that cross braces the door. Not inpenetrable but would make it very difficult to get into.

I guess it just surprises me how oblivious some people are and don't care to protect their vehicles.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The label "348ts" scares away most potential thieves. They know a "slow down" light might illuminate during their getaway.

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I have F1 paddle-shifting in my car. Nobody wants that. :)

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Install a mechanism that allows a quick disconnect of the steering wheel, hard to steal wthout towing it. Only applies to the non-air bag equiped cars though.

5. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    Not unless they happen to have a pair of vise-grip pliers handy, lol.

6. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    My rule was not to park in public unless I could see it 100% of the time. If I couldn't, I wouldn't park. So, my car would go from the garage for a drive and back to the garage. My car was stolen from a secured storage facility; coded entry, video surveillance, the whole nine yards. Looking back at it, I think the only thing I could've done, outside of sitting in the locker with a 12 guage, would've been to put more than one lock or the latest and greatest lock on the door.

D

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I always say they'll only keep it until service is due, then bring it back!!!!!

Leave that belt servce bill laying on the dash, that should do it.......

Seriously, statistically Ferrari is one of the least stolen cars, due to difficulty in turnover and the fact so many thefts are based upon Body shop chop jobs to repair an existing wreck........

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I carry comprehensive insurance on all my cars.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

said in good humor....

Tell the thieves your car doesn't have catalytic converters -- then let ol' Frank Parker hunt them down like dogs !!!

;)

10. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    protected by .45 ACP

but seriously; outside of texas you probably couldnt get away with killing a person over toucing your car, so comprehensive auto insurance seems to be a good bet. although if someone took my car, i hope its totaled, because i dont want some scumbag screwing it up just to be fixed in something less than ideal condition

11. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I have some hidden switches in the car so that it will not run unless the switches are on. Additionally, I park it in my hangar so that it's two federal offenses to get to it, unless of course the dirty, disrespectful, no count, dope smoking, *******s already have access to the airport. Then it's only one count. I know that these laws have no effect on thieves, but it'll give the local TSA folks something to chase down.

Bob Wassam

12. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Bob,

I seem to recall a similar description from somewhere! Hmmmm....

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    LOL. That explains all those GTO's running around with 348 badges...

You could print out some of the technical threads from f-chat and stick those under the wiper.

Not a Ferrari owner here, so I don't know. But with the P-car I parked it in visible spots, away from movie theaters and just used the alarm with all the flashing LED's. No problems. If I'm away from home for more than a day, I turn off the power to the garage door.

I would worry a lot about wiring an alarm into a Ferrari, and would probably invest in simple but effective things like a Club steering wheel lock, kill switch, or rubber belt driven engine.

14. ferrarigtofan

ferrarigtofan Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    USA
    Shift lookout so car is in 5th gear, facing the the rear end of the garage and nothing but earth in front of it. Club like system on on steering wheel. My dog is 115 lbs and sleeps like a fish, no one coming around uninvited.

15. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    What about those gear shift locks sold by Hill Engineering? How effective are they in preventing someone from driving away in your car? Of course it can still be towed.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Ferraris are generally left alone. I have had them for over 20 years now and have never had a problem. Probably the best deterent is a car cover. Its far too much trouble to deal with.

I have been parked in a remote area, unlocked w/the roof off...and the car was covered. Theives chose to break into the car next to me (which was a POS) and left mine alone. I did have to clean the glass off of my cover. :)

That is a typical story.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #17 henryr, Oct 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Smith&Wesson, Colt, Springfield, Glock, Sig, Ruger, HK, Freedom Arms, Taurus, Browning, Desert Eagle, Winchester, Mossberg, Remington...etc...etc...
    Have a nice drive! :)

19. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #19 sparky p-51, Oct 20, 2005
  20. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Peacemaker...Broomhandle...Streetsweeper...Grease gun... ...We'll be there!

21. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Sniper on the roof of my neighbors house..... ;)

22. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Why do anything other then lock it up. If they want it they got it. If you frustrate them they just vandalize it. You guys worry to much. Enjoy the ride

23. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #23 sparky p-51, Oct 20, 2005
  24. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Your gun is bigger: you win! :) LOL

25. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Said it once, will say it again; the word "diesel" on the back of the car will do it every time. :)