I'm surprised / disapointed with Boston Sports Cars' behavior... | FerrariChat

I'm surprised / disapointed with Boston Sports Cars' behavior...

Discussion in 'New England' started by JayO, Oct 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    More specifically, Darin McCay's behavior.

I recently had a deal in place with Sport Auto to trade my 328 for a Porsche 996. Steve Barney asked that I have Darin look over my car, so he could be sure of what he was getting. This was an extremely reasonable request and I agreed to meet Darin at the Lambo of Boston event this past Sunday.

Darin looked over my car with a friend and took it for a short ride. He commented on how nice the interior was and how well it shifted. They did, however, point out that there was some paint work done to the nose of the car. Something I was unaware of. They explained to me what they were seeing and that it was typical of 308/328's. Overall, both seemed to think it was generally a nice 328. Which it is. I spoke to Darin a couple more times that afternoon. I also made a point to find him when I was leaving to thank him for looking at the car for Steve. He was polite and very friendly. He told me he had already left a message for Steve, but hadn't heard back yet. We then went through the "it was good to see you's" and and all that cordial stuff and I was on my way.

So, needless to say I was surprised when I got a call from Steve Barney the next morning saying he would like to back out of the deal after Darin told him it was a "mediocore at best" 328. Mediocore?!? Just because a 328 had a resprayed nose that drops it down to mediocore? I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I do not think this was a fair assesment. Many of you have seen my car and I don't thnk anyone would agree that it is mediocore. Is it a concourse winner? No. But, it is a well taken care of 328 with 30k + miles.

Well, like the title of the thread says, it is Darin's behavior that I have the most trouble with. He gave every indication he was going to pass along a positive review of my car. (aside from the paintwork that I fully intended to tell Steve about) Instead he took the easy way out and acted friendly to my face but turned around and relayed a completely unwarranted and misleading review.
    I really don't know what Darin's deal is. If he had a problem with my car, why not be honest with me and tell me what he thought, and let me know what he was going to say? Is it too hard to tell someone to their face that you don't like their car? Or is it because the opinion was not based on facts? Either way it is not the behavior I would expect from someone whose business is selling / repairing these cars. Especially since the majority of people he deals with have to take his word on the condition of the car they are buying or the problem with the car he is repairing.

What bothers me more than Darin ruining the deal I had in place is the damage he did to my reputation. His "assesment" made me look like a liar. Those of you that know me know this is not the cae. But, how do you go about repairing that damage with someone you never met?

On a side note, I do not blame Steve Barney for backing out of the deal. I am very disapointed, but understand that he must take the word of someone he knows over that of someone he has never met. Steve proved to be an honest, trusting, and knowledgable individual throughout our dealings. I hope to someday still do business with him and Sport Auto.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    have you spoken to darin about this? i've found him to be a reasonable guy in my dealings with BSC. i wouldn't make any rash assumptions about who said what to whom. for all you know, steve found another buyer for the porsche willing to pay more, and actively or passively interpreted darin's comments to arrive at "mediocre".

doody.

3. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    No, I haven't spoken directly to Darin yet. I am not making assumtions. Steve quoted Darin's message to me. While I have no facts to prove the possibility you suggest is not true, I just don't believe it is. This is based on my gut feeling and the conversations I had with Steve. He was as excited about getting the 328 as I was about getting the Porsche. We already had a transporter scheduled and on his way to get the Porsche. Plus, it is still listed for sale. Maybe if that changes in the next day or two there is some merit.
    I would like to think that there are some people you can trust.

4. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I have personally seen and ridden (many miles) in Jay's car. It is in great shape. The term mediocore is WAY off the mark. While the front may have been resprayed the paint over all is in good condition with no major blemishes. The car rev's, shifts and drives smoothly. It also pulls incredibly hard in all gears. The interior is about at good as it gets for a 19 year old car. I didn't see any curb rash on the wheels either. The only thing of minimal concern is a minor oil leak that he will be fixing soon. (I should know I'll most likely be helping with the repair). Lets be honest. Ferrari's along with all cars develop small leaks here and there.

I have grown up around Ferrari's and spent some time at a dealership in the south getting know trouble areas for the 3X8 series cars. Jay's car has been well taken care of and does not have any rust in those little areas around the wheel wells, near the "boxer line" (the black line around the middle of the car) Also, the doors, windows and top all close and fit together very well.

If I had to rate the car I would call it a GREAT driver Ferrari with over 30k miles. The over all condition should be listed as a "very high good" to "low excellent" not mediocore.

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Jay, this is Darin's way of keeping you from making a very big mistake and trading a 328 for a Porsche. Ugh. Now we're going to have to kick you out of the "Ferrari Friday" club.

;)

Birdman

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    LOL!

for a 996 no less!

what on EARTH are you thinking, jay!?!?!?

:)

doody.

7. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Jonathan, let's face it, I am pretty useless as a member of the "Ferrari Friday" club. :)

Doody, haven't you owned TWO 996's? (granted one was a TT, so that is a different ballpark)

Well, I guess I will announce it in front of everyone..... My name is Jay and I am a fan of Porsches.

In all seriousness, I love my 328 and Ferrari's in general. but, right now I want something newer. I'm just not really the 18 year old sports car kind of guy that I thought I was. Since I can't afford any of the newer Ferraris (355, 360, 550, etc..) I figured I would jump back to a Porsche.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think this is unfair to Darin. An attempt to publicly eviscerate him is not a fair way to deal with what is a private offense of telling someone he didn't like the condition of your car. Frankly, as a sponsor and someone who has dealt with other Ferrarichat sponsors I get plenty of feedback from vendors who are frustrated or too scared to be Fchat sponsors because of behavior like this - one false move and 20,000 people will hear about it. Typically, the company has little chance to respond in a fair setting - usually explaining why someone is a bad customer is a lose/lose situation.

There are probably plenty of reasons he couldn't tell you right there what he thought of your car - especially since you seem so passionate about its condition as it is. It's a daily driver, and you say that up front. He gave a professional assessment. What would you have said if he told you to your face he didn't like it? Would you argue with him? Would you have been mad? If yes, then there's your answer as to why he didn't want to offend you.

Would you be one of those people on American Idol who argues with the judges that you ARE a good singer, even though you are not really pop star level? Are you going to be that parent who launches a crusade against the high school when his kid gets cut from the football team (because he is not good)? You just can't be that sensitive. I've done over 40 law firm interviews with people who are super nice and kiss my butt, but they don't give me a job anyway... should I write all their names on a public board too, for having deceived me with good manners!?

There is also a flip side to this: before you made this thread, the only people who knew about this were Steve and you... and now everyone who reads it will know Darin thought your car was mediocre! And although the opinions of others on the car's condition might be positive, Darin deals with all manner of Ferraris all day every day - I would trust his analysis over the casual observer (although I see Scott does have Ferrari experience). Maybe he was protecting Steve from problems he noticed. Performing the PPI on the buyer's behalf, his loyalty is supposed to be to Steve. If I were the buyer, I wouldn't care if he told the seller it was the most pristine, cream puff, concours winner he'd ever seen... but when he told me, I expect the cold, hard truth.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    guilty as charged!

i don't think i'd buy another 996. if i wanted another 911 i'd buy a 993 Turbo or a 993 C2 S or maybe a new 997 (in that order of preference). take the extra cash you save and put it in an account for maintenance and whatnot.

i like porsches too! no twelve-step plan necessary! but the 996 was not the 911s crowning moment, imo.

doody.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo

996's are great for what they are - cheap disposable track cars. Who would have thought that you could buy a 5 year old 911 (99 996) for 30k? Porsches NEVER dropped like that. Buy it, abuse it, use it...sell it. Great bang for 30k$! I am somewhat sorry I sold mine, will likely buy another soon. Yes its cheap (literally and figuratively), but its fun!

11. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ryalex,

I agree with most of what you have said. Maybe I should have contacted Darin first, but it is too late for that. But, please understand this is more than him just telling me he didn't like my car. If that were the case I couldn't care less. To each is own. There are other issues, like damaging my reputation, that I take offense to.

Yes, I am passionate about my car. I am passionate about many things. But, I am also realistic. I knew I would get some people on here who just assume I am a typical car owner who thinks they have the perfect vehicle and won't listen to any other opinions. But, I can assure you that is not the case. I know my car is not perfect. I never said it was. But, if he told me to my face what he was thinking, he could have at least explained his position to me. If I disagreed then I disagreed. But, I am not the type of person who would fly off the handle because someones opinion differed from mine. I don't expect you to know this since we have never met.
    I agree with your examples about American Idol, the kid playing football, and your job interviews, but they are not totally relevant to this situation. None of those cases involves someone not telling the truth.

I wasn't completely clear in my original post. Darin did NOT perform a PPI. He simply walked around my car and took a peak into the engine bay. He also drove it about 1/2 mile and the car ran perfectly. He even commented on how well 2nd gear worked. If it was a full PPI and he found legitimate issues, then that would be completely different. But, that just wasn't the case. Also, I am not too concerned with people knowing Darin's opinion of my car. I welcome anyone who is interested to take a good look at it and have it inspected. If there is something wrong I want to know too. Besides, I have had John Terell go over the car and he reported to me that it is a "very nice car overall." Now, you have two "experts" with completely different opinions. But, out of those two "experts" I chose to bring my car to the one I did based on reputation and opinions of other Ferrari owners I spoke with. So, I am pretty confident in what I have.

12. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    I was at the event, and none of the F cars were mediocre; if you were trading it in as a trailer queen, then a critical review could be understood. If the dealer that planned to resell it knew that it was a driver 328, he would price it accordingly. WIthout a PPI, turning the car down on just a visual issue is an insult.

328s resell in almost any condition, and not accepting the trade is possibly just a cautious move this late in the year before the winter. A 328 plus cash is win-win on an older 996 trade.

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sorry Ryan, I don't agree with you. If Darin was being honest about his condition of the car with the Porsche dealer, then he was being dishonest about his condition of the car with Jay. THAT is the issue here. Condition is relative. I'm sure Darin really does think that Jay's car is mediocre if he said that to the Porsche dealer. I personally don't agree, and neither do most of the people who have seen Jay's 328. Nonetheless, that is Darin's opinion and he is entitled to it. What is wrong is to indicate to avoid conflict by telling Jay that his car is nice, then turn around and say something else to the Porsche dealer, making Jay look dishonest. Hey, if you think my 308 is a POS, tell me to my face. Don't tell me its nice then tell someone else it sucks. Just my opinion. I do agree that Jay should have confronted Darin about it first before posting here.

Birdman

14. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    The fact that Jay started this thread without first contacting Darin to find out his side of the story is pathetic! Now you know why i have so few posts here...

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    I do hope Jay steps up to the plate and has that conversation with Darin.

Doody.

16. musicman102357

musicman102357 Karting

Apr 16, 2005
    I bought my 328 from Darin 2 years.
    It was a car that was serviced by Boston Sports Car; they were selling it for one of their customers. He was honest and professional, the transaction was very smooth.
    As others have said on this thread you should have contacted Darin first before you made the post here .

17. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    I have never had any problems with Darin or BSC. They have always gone the distance to make sure I was happy with their service.

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I'm with Doody on this one - this isn't really a debate that should be had here on F-chat - I'm sure Darin is reading this, perhaps Jay you could give him a call. Maybe one or both of you can post the results of the convo?

19. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well, I called Darin yesterday and we talked things out for a while. Without going into every little detail we both understand where each other is coming from and both aknowleged we could have handled certain aspects of this situation differently.
    So, all is good now.

20. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    Time for me to chime in with my 2 cents.
    I have had several dealings with BSC, all perfect,I would recommend them in a minute.I two agree that Daren should of been called first smearing him and BSC on this board is a bit of a knee jerk reaction,certainly not well thought out.

"I have had John Terell go over the car and he reported to me that it is a "very nice car overall." Now, you have two "experts" with completely different opinions." And you said that Darin said your 328 was "mediocre"
    Well here you have two different people talking about the same car ,one who FIXES them and one who BUY'S them.Not the same thing. "a very nice car overall" My 355 has never been called a very nice car overall it always get comments like "that is the best 355 I have ever seen" "Look at this car no seat wear 17,000 miles and no seat wear ,the interior is perfect." "do you use this car ?" My car has had the nose painted but the difference here is that you can not tell It cost stupid money to do it but it was worth it.
    My point is that in the Ferrari world when you are a buyer like Darin is :you need to Jude cars to a very high standard.A car that has noticeable paint work and an oil leak some interior wear to a buyer could be considered mediocre. John saying that the car is very nice overall says to me that the car is nice with some issues.In the Ferrari world of perfect 10 and 15 and 20 year old cars available He would of said the car is one of the best or perfect,to good buyer in a competitive market anything short of one of the best ,is just mediocre.

21. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    David,
    You are pretty much off the mark with almost everything you wrote.
    Darin and John both FIX cars. I understand that is what John does exclusively while Darin fixes and sells them. But given that Darin services several hundered cars each year and sells (don't know exactly how many) WAY less than that, I would say he is also primarily in the fixing business.
    You also do not know the context of Johns comments to me or the reasoning for Darin using the words he did, and therefore the rest of your analysis of john's view vs. Darin's view is nothing more than a bunch of assumptions. Assumptions without any merit.
    I am very happy that you own the nicest 355 ever, but don't kid yourself, If you had the nose painted, people can tell. I may not have been able to, but the experts would know. Also, nobody said my interior showed any wear. My interior is damn near perfect for an 18 year old car. Finally, your car is at least 8 years newer than mine. If it hasn't had ANY type of oil leak (which I doubt), don't worry, it will.

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    David,
    I think you might be missing the point a little. Darin's assessment of the car is not the issue. Jay was upset about the fact that Darin saw the car, said it was "nice" and gave no indication that he was going to tell the buyer that it was "mediocre." He just felt Darin was dishonest with him about his real opinion. If Darin thinks Jay's 328 is mediocre, he would think my 308 is a hunk of dung. That's ok, it's his opinion.

So Jay, what was the end result?

Birdman

23. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Jonathan,
    Darin explained that he did say the car was mediocre, but he did not intend for it to be a slam like I took it. He explained how he would grade diffrent cars while dealing with different people. He assured me he did not know any details of my deal and did not try to tank the deal for me in any way. He also did understand my frustration at not knowing what he was going to tell Steve. In hindsight we both realized we probably should have taken 10 minutes to sit down and go over what he saw and what he thought. That way I woudn't have been caught off guard the next day and I would have at least understood where Darin was coming from. Darin also did feel badly that I felt my reputation had been called into question or damaged. I still feel that may possibly be the case with Sport Auto, but Darin didn't think so. Since he knows those guys much better than I do, I'll just assume he is right.
    I acknowledged that I should have called Darin before posting on the forum and apologized for that.

All in all it was a positive conversation.

24. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I will stand by what I said: Darin's shop fixes cars and sells them .I wonder when was the last time Darin's prime job at BSC was twisting wrenches? Darin's primary work for some time now has been in the BUYING and selling of inventory.He dose a great job of it.People like Darin and Hatch and Sons are in a different world ,they are looking for the top of the top cars that are unusual stand alone on their condition,that makes them easier to sell and more profitable
    By saying that your car is mediocre is really saying that the car dose not stand alone ,it lacks that something that would help it sell over another 328.When you are looking at cars to resell you need to find the best example available this helps hedge your Position.Otherwise you are buying just mediocre cars.That is the mind set of good high end buyers.

Birdman I hear what you are saying,but in the above described mind set Jay's car is nice;but it still might be considered mediocre.

25. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, it sounds like everything is all settled out now. Nobody wants to hear that their baby is mediocre but as anything in life, opinions vary and it's all relative. I personally think most Ferrari owners are WAAAAY too concerned about the car being all original and not enough concerned with how well the car runs and how reliable and driveable it is. But then again, most Ferrari owners barely manage to drive their cars more than once a week. If you drive your car, enjoy it and do what Enzo intended, there is no way you can keep the miles down, keep the paint from getting chipped and preserve your originality. So be it. MY Ferrari is for my personal entertainment. I'm not "saving" it for the next guy. So I guess it's mediocre too!

Birdman