QP faster than a M5 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

QP faster than a M5

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gougoul, Oct 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  2. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Henry, "cute" is calling you puppy dog names while I point out your mistakes. I am simply trying to make a point about you being hypocritical without coming across as arogant.

3. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and there is a big difference between mistypes and posts that are barely comprehensible.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It would if they weighed the same...which they don't.

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    "BMWs are indeed considered as benchmark compared to crap in handling terms. Mercedes, Buick anyone....come one ! But again, they can't compete with real sports cars."

considering the m5 laps the north loop in 8:00 flat, which sports cars were you refering to??

Lap times Nurburgring

7:32 - Porsche Carrera GT (7:32.44)
    7:44 - Zonda
    7:46 - Porsche 996 GT2
    7:47 - Porsche Gt3 RS (sport tyres)
    7:50 - M3 CSL (sport tyres)
    7:52 - GT3 (381hp)
    7:52 - Lamborghini Gallardo
    7:52 - Lamborghini Murcielao
    7:52 - Mercedes SLR mclaren
    7:56 - Porsche 996 Turbo
    7:56 - 360 stradale (sport tyres)
    7:57 - Lotec Porsche 993 Turbo (600 HP, racing suspension)
    8:07 - Ferrari 550
    8:09 - Lamborghini Diablo SV
    8:09 - Ferrari 360 Modena
    8:10 - Chrysler Viper GTS
    8:11 - Porsche Cayman
    8:12 - Porsche 993 Turbo (430 HP version)
    8:15 - BMW Z8 400 HP
    8:17 - Porsche 996 C2
    8:18 - Ferrari F355
    8:22 - BMW M Coupe 321 HP
    8:25 - Audi RS4 375 HP
    8:28 - Porsche 993 C2
    8:28 - BMW M5 400 HP
    8:32 - Porsche Boxster S
    8:35 - BMW M3 Coupe 321 HP
    8:37 - Mercedes C32 AMG
    8:38 - Honda NSX
    8:39 - Honda S2000
    8:40 - Chevrolet Corvette
    8:42 - Audi S4 265 HP
    8:42 - Lotus Exige
    8:49 - Jaguar XKR Coupe
    8:52 - Mercedes CLK 430

6. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Is the new M5 speed limited to 155 mph?

7. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    as merc and audi i believe.

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    interesting lap times, like i said b4, power and torque dont make fastest laps, thers alot of other factors involved.

9. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    #134 phong69, Oct 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    He is difficult to understand because his grammar is bad. Gargoyle, don't you have anything better to do than insult people just to get a rise out of them?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    No, where do you get these crazy ideas. I never said that. I said that power and torque is a huge element in lap times. Handling is another element in that equation. Sorry, but for some crazy reason apparently on this board Maserati has a reputation for making better handling cars than BMW. That is obviously ludicrous. Maseratis have never been know for great handling. BMW on the other hand is known for doing amazing things with their suspensions.

So what I'm saying is that with a significant power advantage and a huge weight advantage as well that massively impacts handling and braking distances that the M5 should be head and shoulders above the QP. Something is obviously wrong with the EVO test. If anyone replicates that kind of comparison I would love to see it.

11. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

BMW have always been great handlers, we all know that, i think what he was refering too is that their not always the benchmark, that sometimes other brands can make the better handling car, as could be the case with the QP.

12. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    A possibility, but unlikely.

Anyway, this has to be the greatest quote in history:

"First power/weight etc means nothing EVEN for the only race kind you know, aka dragstrip." -gougoul

13. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    Funny how the flame wars in this thread are still somehow related to the original topic. . .!

14. ///Mr. Three

///Mr. Three Rookie

Dec 10, 2004
    Wow, this is my first post but I had to comment on how out of control this thread has gotten. This really reminds me of pointless bickering. I think the QP is a great car and maybe even has a bit more finesse than the M5. However, no matter what one wants to admit, the M5 will remain the sedan benchmark in most peoples eyes the world over. Unfortunately, most people judge a car on what kind of speed it produces and at what rate. In this regard, the M5 will simply dust off the QP at any speed and is really the first production sedan capable of 200 miles an hour with the limiter removed.

However, has anyone looked into what other magazines have come up with regarding the comparison between the two car? We are all focusing on one test alone. There must be others and they might paint a different picture for you all to joust over. Anyways, I think the QP is a work of art and is deserving of praise.

Off topic, the new car that all of the manufacturers really need to worry about is the new Corvette Z06. Looking at all of those ring times it is interesting to see that the new Vette ran the track in 7:42, making it second only to the Carrera GT.

Best,
    Alex

15. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    For sure, if you take it out of the context.
    Ever heard of wheelspin, burnouts ? Traction is never in issue in dragstrip ?
    Let me laugh.

16. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I love a good debate and this one is quite enjoyable. But the petty finger pointing regarding spelling, punctuation or grammar etc. can be left out.

Discuss the cars, it is more interesting than discussing your respective levels of education ;)

And just to join in, I don't think the Corvette has a place here. Its a 2 door sports car with inherent weight distribution advantages over a 4 door.

Cheers
    Simon

17. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Had (another) close look at the new M5 engine this week, pulled out of a car on a stand, and one in bits.

Fantastic piece of machinery - very cool to see ten individual throttle bodies, and on a road-going sedan engine to boot.

The extractors look interesting too - very tightly packed around each other like small intestines. :)

18. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Yep, was a cool start, but it went out of control.
    So i'm out, my grammar is too bad, so says the guy that can't even write in english.

19. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    the under-bonnet detailing is a bit hum-ho for a 1/4 $mil car though really huh? i mean, it's not that you WANT them to waste time in an inconsequential area, but seeing under the lid the first thing we noticed were the flaws... that's probly bad

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    1/4$mil car? I only paid the $69,xxx MSRP for my e39 M5 new in 2000 and I believe the new e60 M5 will be less that $100k. FYI, 1/4$mil = $250,000.

21. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    #146 ashsimmonds, Oct 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    yeah mate buy a car in oz, my math is decent, looky: http://www.bmw.com.au/common_content/models/bmw/price_options/2005-M5-M6.pdf

$226k plus on-road and lux tax and whatnot i think comes close enough to round off methinks, i've been in mhh's and he'd be able to tell us closer but those are frightening numbers nonetheless....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I recently had the opportunity to drive a QP for a while, enough to get a decent sense of the car at speed, and also in traffic. The car definitely has some pep to its step for such a large vehicle, but (although I have never driven the BMW) I am having a hard time believing it is 1.5 sec faster than the new V10 M5. I am not a huge BMW fan, but I just can't see it. Unless the Maserati is making more torque, in which case it would fair better out of turns. I can definitely see the brakes on the QP being better -- I used them several times from very high speed and they stop the big car without complaint. My only real beef was with the lag in the shifting (laggier than the other paddle cars I've driven -- you must know how to work the transmission to get the car to any level of smoothness) and the suspension response on the highway in "sport" mode -- it translates too much road feel to the wheel. Otherwise, although there is a fair amount of roll, the car handles exceptionally well for its size. Very surprising.

My favorite part? The sound (especially at startup) and the interior quality. I love the wood grain in the dash, and some of the details (suede roofliner, rear seat controls, stitching patterns, etc).

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L

$= USD dollar?????

24. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia