Baby seat for a F430 spider or coupe | FerrariChat

Baby seat for a F430 spider or coupe

Discussion in '360/430' started by RobertM, Oct 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Has anyone used a baby seat in a 430???
    If so; which manufacture.

I currently have a Britax Round-About for my Porsche 2002 Cab, and it fits in the rear seats.

2. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    dude dude dude...ferrari passenger seats are for babes , not babys :D

giddy up

3. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I maybe wrong, but baby seat must be in the rear seat. You cannot install a baby seat in navi seat as shattered glass could kill a child.

Better find some family car to complement your ferrari!

4. JEBES

JEBES Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Växjö, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jonas
    Ypu can't install a babyseat if you car have airbag in the pessenger seat. If the car has that and you want to install a babyseat you need to disconect the airbag first.

5. arshad

arshad Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Arshad
    Even with the passenger airbag disabled, it's not advisable to put a rear-facing car seat in a 2 seater. Personally, I wouldn't trust my childs life on the fact that there won't be a malfunction and have the airbag go off regardless.

I'm not really sure about the 430, but on any sports car with high bolsters, there aren't a lot of options since the base on most car seats is too wide.

For older children, you may want to check out the Recaro Start, which I've heard many, many great things about. If you do go with this seat, make sure you get a recent unit. They had a redesign in 2004 which significantly improved the safety of the seat, so make sure you're not getting an older seat from someones online stock. You can always go to an aftermarket shop that deals with Recaro seats and they will be able to secure one for you.

As always, put down a towel first to protect your leather :D

The regulations in the US:

Under what circumstances will NHTSA allow air bag deactivation?

If the vehicle manufacturer does not make an ON-OFF switch available for a particular vehicle, NHTSA will authorize deactivation for the following reasons only:

1. A rear-facing infant restraint must be placed in the front seat of a vehicle because there is no back seat or the back seat is too small for the child restraint. (For the passenger air bag only.)
    2. A child 12 years old or younger must ride in the front seat because the child has a condition that requires frequent medical monitoring in the front seat. (For the passenger air bag only,.)
    3. An individual with a medical condition is safer if the frontal air bag is turned off. A written statement from a physician must accompany each request based on a medical condition unless the request is based on a medical condition for which the National Conference on Medical Indications for Air Bag Deactivation recommends deactivation. (For driver and/or passenger frontal air bag as appropriate.)
    4. Drivers must sit within a few inches of the air bag (typically because they are of extremely small-stature, i.e., four feet, six inches or less). (For the driver frontal air bag only.)
    Provided one of the above four conditions are met, the agency will continue to grant deactivation requests even if an aftermarket parts manufacturer makes an ON-OFF switch available for those vehicles. Requests for deactivation will be approved until September 1, 2012.

How do I get authorization for air bag deactivation?

If you want air bag deactivation for any of the above reasons, describe the reason in a letter and send it to: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Attention: Air Bag Deactivation Requests, 400 7th St. SW, Washington, DC, 20590. Deactivation is not available for any other reasons. The request can also be faxed to 202-493-2833.

The request must contain the following:

*Name and address of the vehicle owner.
    *The justification for the request (must be one of four conditions as stated in Under what circumstances will NHTSA allow air bag deactivation?). The letter should be as specific as possible about the justification and state whether the request applies to the driver or passenger air bag, or both.
    *A description of the facts creating the need for deactivation.
    *A statement from a physician based on a medical condition—only if the condition is not one for which the National Conference recommended deactivation (see What are the medical conditions for which an air bag may be deactivated?). The physician's statement must identify the particular condition of the patient and include the physician's judgment that:
    1. Air bags pose a special risk to the person with the medical condition, and
    2. The potential harm from the air bag outweighs the potential harm from turning off the air bag and allowing the person's head, neck or breastbone to hit the steering wheel, dashboard or windshield. Note: Hitting the vehicle interior is likely in a moderate to severe crash, even if the person is using seat belts.
    If the request concerns a child who must ride in the front seat to enable the driver to monitor the child's medical condition, the supporting physician's statement must identify the condition and state that frequent monitoring by the driver is necessary.

6. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    get a 612, throw the lil one in the back of that

7. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Or a M5!

I would be really careful about any child seat or even booster seat in the front. From what I have read it seems the best advice is: if you need a booster or child seat, the child should be in the back. The cars are fun, but being safe is most important.

best regards,
    Jerry

8. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I saw a child seat in an F40, but the child was about 3-5 years of age.

9. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have the black Recaro forward facing child seat. It uses the existing seat belts from the car. I also advise putting down a towel to protect the leather. I have disconnected the airbags in my 355 and 550 so I always have the warning lights on. The look on my 4 year old son's face when we let the 355 scream thru the Tubis on the way to school is worth triple the price.

10. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    you gotta be kidding, right? Transporting a baby is for your other cars. That is why you buy a MB sedan or SUV! Keep the baby out of the ferrari!

11. zzboba

zzboba Karting

Dec 1, 2004
    sure, a ferrari isn't the ideal kiddy transport... but why not take your son or daughter for a quick ride? if they like to... tell them "no you are not allowed to ride in the car daddy loves so much" ?? no! as long as it's no long distance touring it's ok IMHO.

12. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #12 Ducky355, Oct 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I have a couple of cars that transport the baby on a day to day basis. 2003 MB E500 sport with 20" wheels and my wife drives a BMW x5 with 20" wheels. The cars are very nice but they are not the weekend machine.

I currently have a speed yellow cab 2002 C4 Porsche with 19" hre 545r, dropped, Gt-2 front, aero kit, blah blah blah. It is a great car. I put my daughter in the baby seat in the back and my wife can either go with us or have a day with her friends. Either way I get an opportunity to spend time with my daughter and also my machine.

I'm looking for the same experience with a Ferrari.

Last week at the dealer, I was told that the new f430 has the ability to turn the air bag off (key on the passenger side), but in the USA the dealers are installing dumbies in that area so you CAN NOT turn off the air bag with the key. I'm not sure if he is just giving me a story so I will purchase a 360, because he knows that I WILL NOT pay over sticker on a F430 spider.

Is there any truth to that???
    Has anyone turned off their airbag???

14. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    I appluad you for wanting to take your kid for a ride. I got around the issue by the F-car not having an air bag. I never set the child seat backwards though. Deal with my wife mandated a that each child be 1 years old before they get a ride. At 1 year, you are suppose to turn the seat around. So after each 1 year old birthday party, they get their first ride, rain or shine.

The smile on my kids faces is priceless.

15. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    #15 RobertM, Oct 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would not ever think about taking a child less than 14 months old. My daughter is 26 months old. The baby seat faces forward. It is not worth the risk, I totally agree.

You see this yellow machine (pic attached) and the funny thing is that playing on the CD is typical children's music. HELLO everybody its nice to see you . . . . . . . . If you have kids, you know the song :)

Do you take your kids in the car on a regular basis???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The F430 does actually have a hook up for a baby seat behind the pass seat. Also airbag can be turned off with a key on the side fo the dash.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Todd is correct, 430's have anchors behind and in the passenger seat for baby seats and you can turn off the airbag with the key, no permission needed.

Dave

18. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Geeez....I have also ran into people who advise keeping children away from car shows. Mine know how to behave around cars, and have been trained not to touch. I think it is selfish to have such a fine machine and not share it with the younger ones. You are as safe in a Ferrari, when driven responsibly, as in any passenger car. You can certaintly avoid an accident better than an SUV. Mine sit in the back of the Maserati and Ferrari. The back is the safest place if you can put them there, but in a 2 seater, you do not have the option.
    Rear facing seat in a 2 seater car with a pass. airbag is a no-no, unless the bag can be deactivated (do it at the dealer, not by pulling fuses). Front facing also needs the pass airbag deactivated. 355s and 360s have factory kits for doing so (search archives). I have been told by one 430 owner that his car has the disabling built in.
    I love to drop off mine at the preschool. I do just for the dissaprooving (or sometimes wistful) looks from the soccer moms.

19. anawat

anawat Rookie

Oct 5, 2005
    Saratoga
    She's 3 and whenever I ask her which car to take, she always prefer the horse (the 911). My F cars (also horses, I suppose) are in the garage and unfortunately are both 2 seater: 355 Fiorano and 550. So she's not ridden in them yet and will not for a long time unless I get the airbag disabled. That just bother me a lot. I'd like to share the experiences with my kids.

So I've been thinking about 612 a lot; the problem is that I just don't love it as I do my 550.

I suppose that I can just get the 612 and also keeping the 550, but I have to store the 550 somewhere offsite. I won't have enough garage space for them. I just couldn't bring myself to part with my 550 especially with the current resale value. I'd rather just keep the 550 for a long long time instead of getting $100k and change now.

The looks from soccer moms I got when I dropped my daughter off in a 911 turbo at her preschool in the morning are priceless.

Actually, if we were to be in a 612, I probably won't get as much funny looks. 612 look just doesn't really stand out much, certainly less than 996TT does.

355 fiorano will be a riot though. :)

20. jag11

jag11 Karting

May 1, 2005
    Florida
    Its possible My friends baby only rides in his ferrari.

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Robert if you can't find the answer in this post PM me. I am a certified child passenger safety technician.

22. vsnqust

vsnqust Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    Next to roland
    Get a 456 or 612.. I have taken my family on ferrari road events.. the wife.. and the kid
    in the back in the 456... In fact his first ride in the car he was 8 months old for a fall foilage tour through colorado.. it was great! Now the only problem is that he is almost 2 and all he can talk about is cars.. and vrooomm.... Okay so I took him to the race track also to see me race.. so he loved hearing the cars go by..