Which is the Best Boxer? | FerrariChat

Which is the Best Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rareusgold, Oct 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What is the best Boxer to buy, the 365BB, 512BB, or the 512BBi? In terms of performance, maintenance, and Value? Assuming that all three are of the same milage and condition. Oh yea and how many of you would perfer your boxer to have a two toned Boxer paint scheme apposed to the sigle color?

If anybody has a record of Boxers with the original colors and Serial number I would love to have them.

Thanks again for your help

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I expect you will get votes for each of the Boxer models. Personally, I prefer the carb models, but if possible you should experience both (or all three) and make up your own mind.

The carb cars have more power (Frank will argue with this) and a better sound. They require a bit more maintenance, and are less tolerant of sitting than the injected cars. If the carbs are not right, they can be harder to start and not as user friendly, but if the carbs are in good shape they are very usable.

As for color schemes, again I like the single color, but that's me.

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    More or les what Don said but personally I would go for the 512BB

4. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have you seen this 1984 512iBB. Fuel Injection (S/N 48935). The car was brought into the country privately and legalized for use on U.S. roads. The car traveled 18,000 kilometers (or 11,000 miles) in Europe, and just over 6,000 miles in the United States, for a total of just 17,600 miles. The car is at PhiVille Classis Autos with an asking price of $89,800…It looks real nice.

http://www.philvilleusa.com/text.php?PageName=Inventory

He also has a sweet 1991 348TB with 133 miles! I almost bought the TB a few months ago, but decided on a 1989 328 GTB instead. I also considered the 512….It really does look nice.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ooooooh nooooooooo.....here we go again, lol. I personally would pass on the 365 mainly because it doesnt look a nice as the 512 series. Im not a fan of the pee shooter 365 exhaust, no NACA ducts, lack of a front spoiler but the triple lights are kind of neat. The 365 is also wetsump rather than drysump like all the 512's. I like carbs as well as FI, they both have there pluses, the peak HP numbers are higher on the carb cars but the torque numbers and the rpm at which the engine develops its HP is at a lower rpm range on the injected cars. I would say they are so close togehter in performance and that they are all great cars appealing to slightly different tastes.

Ive always been a fan of the solid colour and when I bought mine, I had reservations about the boxer paint scheme it has, its grown on me and now I prefer it over the solid red.

If you buy any BB, you will fall in love with the flat 12 push and sound. Its awsome!

P.

6. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I am looking for a good hearted debate. I am asking for my father. I want to give him good advice and I can not make up my mind on the best one. Having never driven one I don't know which one has the best feel. We will drive all before even seriously considering buying one. But I wanted to know what people that actually owned them thought. I know the performance difference, that is not an issue to me.

I can see positives in all the models. I like the triple exhaust and three lights of the 365's. I also like the rarity factor of the 365. Only say 300+ made. Cool collectability factor. Did all 365's come with three exhausts? If so why do I see some for sale with only 4 pipes. Where they removed?

I like the 512's because of the Naca vents. The front valance and the over all style changes.

Now the carb issues. I hear that the carbs are tough to keep running smooth. The car will be not be an everyday driver so it will sit for periods of time. So, for that issue I think the Injected BB would be the way to go.

The other advantage of the BBi is the fact that it is a newer car.

The jury is still out on the Color. I like both equally. I really can not decide. I think that the best car available will be what makes the decision. Color scheem is the least important issue to me. My father may think differenly.

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. Keep them comming.

PS I agree with Surfer the 328 GTB is the way to go for me too!!

7. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    Really considering getting a Boxer. Stupid question though, will a car like the one in the ad linked be able to be titled in California?

I guess the question to Ca. Boxer owners would be are your cars registered and smog certified for California??

8. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Rich, Maybe the type of driver your pop is will dictate whether a BB or BBi. I have a BB, and love it, but I don't think it's as smooth a drive as a BBi. The carbs are evidently pretty difficult to set up exactly, and consequently maybe a little harder to start, and not as smooth running at low RPMs. Getting the car smog certed, at least here in CA is more difficult as well. But once warmed up and rolling the carbs offer instant throttle response, and an absolutely glorious sound. In fact, part of the reason for my semi-lousy gas mileage, other than it's a 12 cylinder Ferrari, is that I have a hard time not pushing the throttle just a little harder just to hear the Webers gulping air! To me, the 12 cylinder engine and Webers were just made to go together so I'm happy to put up with it being a little finicky. Maybe your pop wouldn't be.

Martyb,
    Buy a CA car if at all possible. Then you'll at least get it smog certed at purchase, have all the CA required equipment on the engine, and the previous smog history. CA cars will have a State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair ( BAR ) sticker on the driver side door jamb.
    As I mentioned above, getting a carbed car to pass is difficult, but certainly possible. And certainly worth it!

9. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Which is the Best Boxer?

#44815:D

10. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    Thanks, So look at a car that was brought into California and had the conversion done here?

Nice picture of your car!

11. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Any Boxer is the best.
    Seriously though, its probably more important to buy the best example you can find as there is much to do to a car not taken care of. For me the BBi was the only way to go, but thats my choice, I personally prefer the looks over the early car, and being the last of the series they are the most completely developed. Just fit a Bell sports exhaust and the sound is among the most charismatic you will ever hear.
    Good luck in your search.
    Steve

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I like all three myself. When searching for a Boxer in late 2002 the only ones I could find in decent shape were BB512is, altough I did test drive 365GT4/BB and BB512 models. I myself like the FI model better because I drive mine more than most Boxer owners do. As far as which one is faster...who cares...they are all plenty fast and no one that buys one is likely to race it anyway. IMHO, the FI model "feels" faster because of the lower gearing and torque comes on at a lower RPM. And with an exotic-toy car, perception is everything IMHO. Ferrari must have thought FI was faster though as when they went racing with the BB512LM, they chose FI rather than carbs; albeit with Lucas rather than Bosch.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    365 GT4/BB is the best, purest , lightest and most powerful of the 3 BBs.

It also looks the meanest with the six taillight/exhaust tips combo..

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    "Best" is a subjective term like beauty, which is the eye of the beholder. And, the most powerful depends on whether you equate "power" with HP or torque. The 365 model is the lightest though.

15. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    As were all Boxers in the US.

16. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 msdesignltd, Oct 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    #17 N24RE, Oct 24, 2005
  18. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The carb Boxers are more old school Ferraris from the 50s and 60s. Even with stock exhaust you'll need ear plugs at full throttle at high rpm especially through tunnels or a wall next to you and they make incredible sounds, then they are also docile putting around at low rpm.

19. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Martyb, Look for a car that has been in CA at some point. One that has recent smog history here will make things easier.

20. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    #20 PINNIN512, Oct 25, 2005
  21. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey! We need to get a SoCal Boxer run together.
    Who's in?

22. mikesoanes1960

mikesoanes1960 Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love the 512, but always worried me about the realibility on them and who would work on it.

23. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Oh but Mr Parker! How you've mellowed!
    lol:D

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    No, I still like the BB512i better and out of the three Boxer models I have driven the BB512i "feels" faster as far as acceleration is concerned. And, as I have posted before, with a toy car such as most Boxers, perception is all that counts. After all, who is really going to race their Boxer whether it is a carb or FI model? Even BB512LM owners rarely race their cars, and when they do it is ib a "gentlemen" racing series with no "rubbing" allowed.

25. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I am in the market for a BBi because the FI will require less fiddling and I'm willing to give up both the glorious induction noise in motion and the beautiful quartet of triple Webers pipes exposed at rest. Wait, maybe I just changed my mind...

But the truth is the 365 has a much better power/weight ratio than either 512. In fact, the 365 has a better torque/weight ratio than the 360 Modena. I'm talking max torque and not taking into account the shape of the power band, but there's a reason the 365 has a rep for being a quick steed. "Adding lightness" to a car really helps performance and handling.