Giving rides | FerrariChat

Giving rides

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tpower22, Oct 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tpower22

tpower22 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was out last night around 2 driving my 360 on a long, windy, great road. At that hour there is no one around so I can really open it up. Anyway, this car attempted to follow me through the twists, but disappeared after a little while and then on my way back he was waiting in a turn off and he pulled out as I passed. He again attempted to keep up with me and by the end I had slowed down enough for him to be behind me. This was, I thought, a bit unusual so at the light I turned to look at him as he pulled up next to me. As I expected he wanted to talk so I rolled down my window and he immediately complimented me on my car and then asked if he could take it for a spin. The guy had balls, but I like someone who is straight so I paused for a moment and said, 'want a ride?' The guy immediately says yes so we pull over and he gets in.
    We begin talking. He was a young guy of about 25-30 and I head back up the windy road and open it up. At the end of the road, after learning that he knew how to drive I stop and turn around and offer to let him drive it back down. I had never done that before, in fact, I had never given a stranger a ride before, but I had a good feeling about him and wanted to give him the experience. He of course jumped on the opportunity and raced, somewhat conservatively, back down the mountain.
    It was a really satisfying experience to give this guy the drive of his life. I rationalized it because I know that before I owned my car, I would have done anything for an opportunity like that. I know that it could have been a really bad move on my part, but have any of you ever done something like that or am I insane?

2. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I'm guessing your car still under warranty. Good deed. You must have been drinking. Haha.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I would say that considering the time of night and situation, yes. He must have "sounded" really good to put you at ease.

As I read your recount though I kept flashing on what he could have done to you. It's always nice to have "witnesses"

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Tom, i guess as long as you feel alright with it and, in talking to the guy, you got a good feeling about him, it's fine... i think it's incredibly generous; you sound like a really nice guy... What was he driving...? Pretty ballsy of the guy to come right out and ask if he could drive it... But it got him a ride and then behind the wheel... :)

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Very generous! But perhaps safer if done with a few friends around or somewhere more public than a quiet country road?

6. kyleseyz

kyleseyz Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    yeah.... now I know to always ask, and I will reference this post... :D

7. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    Can I drive your car?

8. zorzos

zorzos Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Greece
    Sometimes giving the opportunity to your self to give hapiness to other people by doing that, makes you feel more happy !

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Extremely generous of you,I don't think i would be brave enough though,to let a stranger drive a car like that,considering all the insurance and liability issues in our litigious society.

10. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

This reminds me of the old sales adage that essentially says you won't get anywhere unless you ask. I have to admire the guy.

RMX

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tom: i've done this many times before as well, although mostly durting the day. have let complete strangers take it out - it's just a car. but so far nothing bad's happened and the response is very gratifying. nice to share it with people.

kudos to you.

--Dan

12. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    i know its not a fcar...but this guy i met for the 1st time, took my for a ride in his viper gts (blue and white)
    and on the way back he asked if i wanted to drive it. i said yes....but at the time i said im not good at stick, he said w/e it should be eazy for u...
    so i did and stalled so many times it was not even funny....he thought it was funny...laughing at every light....

i only new him for 2 hours..
    now we talk now and then...

so i say that was very nice of u.

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Great gesture, sure that guy is still telling everyone who is prepared to listen about the guy that let him drives his Ferrari. I speak from experience, I was pretty stunned when a friend of mine threw me the keys of his 6 day old 360 and told me to go for a drive, I was 19 years old at the time, it wasnt a long drive but it was special.

14. Leweyb

Leweyb Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    East Hampton

I often let others drive my cars, I personally hop to never lose that intial enthusiasm and disbelief that these machines are mine, sharing them with others just seems to be the right thing to do., BUT that said...I carry a firearm and have a remote alarm with a kill/panic button.

15. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    In the late '70's, I was admiring a parked, silver Lambo 3500 in Crescent City. The owner came out, we talked, he showed me the car and offered a ride. Five minutes later, on 101, he had red-lined 5th gear. I think the speedo indicated 165mph...Yeow!!!
    When we got back, I thanked him profusely. In my mind, I'm STILL thanking him.
    To all you guys that 'share', a big THANK YOU!

16. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 spiderseeker, Oct 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I gave my girlfriend's "college student" son a ride in my 308qv, over Labor Day weekend, a couple weeks after I received it. He is a huge Ferrari fan and was so excited to go for a ride. After a few miles I stopped to take a few pics of him in the car, I then realized that I forgot my wallet (and license). I asked him if he had his license with him, he looked at me with a puzzled look and said "yes". I handed him the keys and said "lets go !" He looked at me with a dumbfounded grin and nervously jumped into the drivers seat and attached his seatbelt. Off we went on the ride of his life !
    **Curiously, when he went back to school, the professor in one of his classes asked what everyone did over the weekend- he stood up and said "I drove a Ferrari" - the professor said "You Win !".
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. musicman102357

musicman102357 Karting

Apr 16, 2005
    Giving rides is one thing , letting a total stranger drive your car is another.
    I did let my Dad drive my car once :-}

18. ferrarigtofan

ferrarigtofan Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    USA
    Not only did you put your personal safety at risk, but how about the liability issues? If you had an accident while you were driving and he was injured you would liable. If the passenger lives through a crash and is seriously injured and he tells of you driving like a maniac your insurance will be off the hook to pay anything and the full liability, not to mention legal costs, fall on you.

Does you insurance even allow other drivers? I ask this because most weekend use policies are to the owner only, perhaps his wife if he ads her to the policy. You can call me a scrooge but I am not willing to risk everything I've worked for in life to give a stranger a joy ride.

I find it ironic people would let complete strangers drive their Ferrari's for fun, but when the topic of letting potential buyers of a car you had for sale drive that, everyone wanted proof the buyer was legitimate. Do a search and you will see how much burden of proof was on the buyer to prove he is not a joy rider.

19. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    A couple of years ago, I gave the guy who was doing my pest control service a ride. I also let him drive. No problems, he enjoyed it, and it made me feel good.

Last week I got a call from a girl who wanted to give her boyfriend a ride in a Ferrari for his 29th birthday. They came down from out of state; he had no idea what was going on until he saw the car. We went riding for about 45 minutes and had blast. He was a big Ferrari fan, always watched Magnum PI to get a glimpse of the car. I let him drive as well and took some video as we were tooling along. Really nice couple, and I had a blast being able to help out with his present!

I'll never forget the opportunity to drive a 355 back in 1999. The acquaintance (now a good friend) didn't know me very well but gave me the keys to his GTB as he drove my NSX a few miles. I was smiling from ear to ear the whole way.

I posted the experience on the Ferrari List back in 1999 and recently checked their archives to see if the post was still there. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Great memories,though!

20. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I've never turned anyone down when they would ask for a ride in my car.

As far as others driving my car is concerned...that's a no no. The only other person that drives my car is my mechanic.

21. tpower22

tpower22 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I know it was a risk and I do have insurance for multiple drivers, but sharing a Ferrari is worth it in the right place and with the right person. I just had this big smile on my face as I drove home after dropping him off. It's just one of those things that matter in life. If I had been him and some guy had taken me for a ride and then let me drive, I'd always remember. I'm not saying that it will be a major life memory, but it will stick with him as it will stick with me as a great moment in life. It could have gone to hell, but thankfully it didn't. With that said, I have no intention of doing it again and if you had asked me ten minutes before he pulled up next to me I would have said no way in hell would I let a stranger drive my car. Maybe the planets were aligned correctly or something, but it was probably one of my favorite memories of having this car.

22. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have given countless rides over the years. I remember giving a young guy (who is a poster here) his first Ferrari ride (it was a TR). I can also remember meeting another young guy who had restored an old muscle car, and was very pround of it, a ride in an F40. Then there are the countless folks with helmets in hand at the base of the Virginia City Hillclimb....

Those are just a few. Everything in life is a gamble. Half the fun of having these cars is sharing.

Ciao...........Dino

23. vbrad

vbrad Rookie

Oct 22, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    VanceBraddock
    thats crazy but i would love you if i got to drive your 360

24. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i've always been happy (though not always able!) to give rides to folks whom i've met or were introduced to or at least vaguely know. i wouldn't give a ride to a total stranger at two in the morning - you've got a bigger pair than i.

i don't ever give rides to minors. way too much unpleasant liability there, unfortunately.

i've let people drive my stupid cars, but they're people i know well and/or trust - and who i know have the means to fix it if they **** it up!

doody.

25. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    Nicki, a friend of mine was coming thru town and stopped by for lunch and on his way home back thru town his 12 year old son was with him. I had told Nicki I would take his son for a ride. When he got here I said a boy should enjoy this with his Dad, it's full of gas, here's the key enjoy! They both had the time of there life, and it feels great to see the happiness it brought to them.

Larry