Cant see the point of an F car... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cant see the point of an F car...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Azzuro, Oct 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I owned a new M3 cabrio which was fab. Sold it and bought the 328 with a few k change to boot and it was the best thing I could have done. M3 is a great car but does not have the heart and soul of a Ferrari. I would not swap back for all the tea in China.

There are about a dozen 3 series cabrios in the station car park every day, 3 of which are M3's..they are (relatively) common, and not close to being as much of an occassion to drive. A host of Boxsters, a couple of 911's including a new 996 Turbo. Guess how many Ferrari's..

That said, I got the F as a toy and would not drive it daily..for that the M3 wins. But I'm still not swapping.

2. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    You should have gone for the CSL for a few K more then I might have believed you.

I used to think my CSL was as quick as my old 355 - from A to B it probably is but compared to the 360F1 there's no comparison (and I don't think the 360 is that much quicker than the 355). It's such a special occasion driving the 360 (the 'X' factor) or any F car.

Rick

3. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004

Its when I read such twaddle that I can say to you all that I am absolutely right in what I say, it is usually the unsubscribed non Ferrari owning twerps that start rows on this forum. I don't like Guiness because I never tried it!!!

If you want a BMW M3 good for you, perhaps one day you will buy a Ferrari for what it is good for, enjoying a first class piece of engineering that has style and panache, yes your BMW does have some of this, but as you have never owned a Ferrari or obviously had the passion for a dream car, stick with the bread and butter car, seen one you have seen millions. Its no wonder you are asking the silly question your thread proposes. Uhhhh. Least the M3 is better than an Audi Murcielago, having driven both.

Back for a moment and gone again.

D11VE:J

4. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    CSL????????? :)

5. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    1) There are a few cars for <30k that could do everything the M3 does and more performance wise. Some are just as practical. A couple have been mentioned.

So applying your logic. The only reason you bought the M3 was your ego I suppose.

If you could only afford the EVO, you would now be posting on the BMW forums.

2) You may not want to park an F in an NCP. Use it as a daily driver. But I (Lambo in my case) and many of my friends do use our cars in such a way.

So if its a garage queen, its the owners fault not the cars!

BTW the M3 (E46 I assume) is a great car and IMO has alot of passion and soul. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Oh yeah, forgot about CSL :eek: ;)

7. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Do us a favour and piss off to another forum with your trouble causing. We have had enough trolling recently on here to last us a lifetime.

M3s, great cars, but you are doing your fellow M3 drivers no favours.

8. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
  9. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Having sold an M3 convertible and Lotus Elise to buy my 360 i can say that that combination of cars gave me practicality and fun for all my drives. However, enen combiningthe talents of both these cars they provided nothing even approaching the Ferrari ownership proposition.

My M3, great as I thought it was, lasted just over a year. At the moment I cannot think of the day I woudl want to sell my Ferrari. That says it all to me.

I may well buy another M car in the future, but it would be to supplement a Ferrari.

10. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob

When i was poor i owned an m3.

11. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

plenty of cars for under 30k that are better than an m3 performance and useability wise. M3's are like arseholes, everyone has one

12. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    ****!

I bought the wrongs cars :(

13. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Interesting comments. I have a 360 and an M3. UFO's first post about how good the M3 is, is spot on. I love it and as an everyday car that is quick, handles well, gets 4 people in comfortably, has a decent boot and looks good. He is right. I personally love the SMG, think its great, especially in London. I have lived with it for 3 years, i guess the negative comments on it havent lived with it for a while or got used to it, just drove one and made up their minds, ah well.

BUT

The 360 is completely different in everyway possible. The driving sensation couldnt be further apart. The BMW is great for all i have written above, but its built to be a quick, useable everyday car, the 360 doesnt try and do anything the BMW was built for.

To bring ego's into this is plain ridiculous and you obviously havent read much on this board, where people use their cars, help others out, organise trips etc etc.

After sharing some pm's with you about my 360 that is for sale, i can only conclude that you cant afford one and are very bitter about it.

Get over it, your day will come, stop being childish.

14. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    oi !

15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Well I feel sorry for you! I am on my fourth BMW and it is a very good car. But it is just that. A car. A Ferrari has soul! A Ferrari has passion!!! I have loved Ferraris since I was 4 or 5. I don't drive mine every day, but when I do I have a grin on my face for a week afterwards. It doesn't matter if other cars are faster. I drive it purely for my own enjoyment. As it happens it gives others enjoyment as well.

Let me tell you a little story. A couple of weeks ago I was in France with the Ferrari. A chap I had never met before happened to be passing and saw my car. He was effusive in his comments and told me his son dreamed about Ferraris. Could I possibly take his son for a ride as his 12th birthday was coming up? Of course, but unfortunately his son was at school and I was catching the afternoon ferry. Well, a little while later he returned. He had pulled his son out of school and brought him along blindfolded. You should have seen that kids face when he took off the blindfold and saw the Ferrari!!! That and the ride round gave me as least as much pleasure as it did him.

Oh, and by the way, that has never happened to me with any of my four BMWs...

You either 'get it' or you don't. End of story.

Jonathan

16. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    well said !

17. G7RYE

G7RYE Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Ackworth
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Having owned 2 M3's a 360 and now a mentioned &#163;30K car that is as fast as 340FQ! I can also conclude that the M3 is stunning for what it is, (although specced up to the max is over &#163;50K new, which then makes you think about another &#163;15K for a 997?) Can't really see the need to slate a car you have never owned though? why not just start a thread "O/T My M3?"....

I loved the 360, but sold it for what I thought were the right reasons when the little 'un came along. Owning a Ferrari was a dream come true, it really was, but, and this is in no way an intentional put down of F cars, I must say I felt a little dissapointed as I didn't feel it was as magical as I'd anticapated all those years. (bit like James May driving the countach on TG?)

Still, I think I will have another one day, but for the love of the marque, the meetings, events and the top notch people I have met through owning one, but they aren't the out and out performance machine I had originally thought.

18. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Great post Jason!

19. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Not a lot to add but:

I have own both M3 (nice car, nothing to write home about), M5 (much better, even if heavier and not as chuckable) and swapped it all for a 575.

Every car is compromise even a ‘super car’ like the Maranello.
    I cannot take more then one friend, I do look ridiculous loading that tiny boot at the garden nursery and have to arrange delivered for just about anything.

Then again, the M cars where a similar compromise comparing to my SAAB 93.

I will have enough time for boring cars when I have family and kids… though lots of people here fo a have a family and keep the Fcar, I have driven very long European distances with both my M5 and with 575. If you cannot appreciate the difference, well, good for you. I mean, why buy a Premiere Cru Bordeaux when you can for a tenth of the price buy a table wine. The get you drunk just the same don’t they?

20. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Or even Jonathan :)

21. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
  22. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    Had an E30 M3 (the proper one) which i have to admit was an excellent car. However, the 328 is 'what it is' and although it won't go round corners as well it sure as hell makes a nicer noise and gives me a huge amount of pleasure driving it. The newer M3's sound a bit 'tinny' IMHO - can't beat 32v V8 ( or one of them fangled V12's either - sorry MarkC.....)!

23. The Don

The Don Karting

Oct 10, 2004
    Had a couple of M3's rev off when they see my Testarossa. Makes the most ridiculous noise. Of course I never do what they do because I have nothing to prove.

24. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    BMW.....yawn...... sorry where were we?

25. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name: