Carrera GT question ? | FerrariChat

Carrera GT question ?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Maranello Guy, Oct 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    I am just wonder. Porsche declared to built 1500(?) Carrera GT models. Since they lunched this car , how many of them ware allready built ?

2. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that Porsche is now only planning to build 1,250 of the CGT.

3. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Andrew is correct, they reduced it to 1,250. Production is almost finnished, I know they passed building 1,000. But i currently dont know how many they have build. Between 1,050-1,100.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I heard approx 1200 will be the final tally. I understand they terminated the run before 1500 because 1) they had trouble selling the balance, and 2) an additional production year would have required the added expense of new dual-stage airbag integration.

I have seen more than one dealer showroom queen with hints to make an offer below MSRP.

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I believe they have sold new for as little as $380k. Wonderful car, but the demand is just not there.

Gary

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    WOW... i can't believe they'd take such a "hit." (I think Porsche prob still makes PLENTY at that price). The sticker on the one here in Boston says $448k - it's been there at least 6 months. I wonder if they'd take $380k...

7. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    There just so many super cars out (merci SLR, Enzo , Veriron and Carrera GT) only so many buyer if were me I would go for the Carrera GT Soooooooooooooooooooooo niiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccceeeeeeee

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    There was one here in the showroom for many months. I was talking to the salesman about it and ogling it and he suggested that he would take a "reasonable offer" to the management. So to feel him out I told him I'd heard of 500 mile cars going for $370K (this was 6 months ago) and that I thought perhaps $390K would be a fair "new" price if it was going to lose 5% immediately :) . He blanched a little and said he'd feel uncomfortable taking in an offer that wasn't $4xx. So I'm guessing that car could have moved for $410.

9. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Will Porsche come out a next-generation supercar? The Carrera GT is just an incredibe beauty.

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It was about 15 years between 959 and CGT.

11. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    good friend just bought a brand new seal grey one for $402k but most the dealers he spoke to were in the $410-420k range.

12. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    to you have pictures of your friends CGT???

13. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Forget that story about production dropping because of a "new" legislative requirement, the truth is Porsche fell for its own hype. Their research showed a market for 300 cars at $300K, but then when every Porsche dealer in the world started screaming "I want one, too!", they increased both the price and the production.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0506_porscheriedel/

But early this year they realized that many of the dealers who had committed to a car had no buyer for the car, and really no prospect for finding a buyer.

They cut production to try to keep the prices above $400K.

Also see:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67076

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71511

14. mjc123

mjc123 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2004
    CA; TX; MT
    It's a fantastic piece of engineering, a racecar for the street. They just overestimated demand.

15. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just saw one at the showroom for $448k for a grey one and six months ago I saw a red one at $448k! I think porsche should of limited it to 1000 rather then fumble with numbers.

16. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    If the prices on the CGT are what I'm thinking they might be in 18-24 months, I might pick one up. It could very well end up being one of those cars that's too good to pass up for the price. I've seen a few in person, but not on the road yet, although my brother, friends, & g/f all have (my brother also saw an SLR McLaren on the road the same week). All said it looked insane on the road.

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do you guys think cuttingthe prod # from 1500 to 1250 will help keep better residual ? I really doubt so..

18. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    there are a couple driving around here in las vegas... i believe our local porsche dealer has sold at least 2 or 3...

19. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I don't think it will help at all. 1250 is still way too many for that car.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I agree . Its going to be some bargain ! :)

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i think if the car drops below 300k used in a few years, or sooner, it will be the super car steal of the century...too good to pass up for me...plus, its a porsche, so it will be built like a tank and be dependable, unlike ferraris and lambos, which take more babying and maintanence