F1 rule changes 06: Tires and qualifying | FerrariChat

F1 rule changes 06: Tires and qualifying

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Oct 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Great!

2006 has already the makings of a very promsing season given all the fundamental changes everywhere. It'll be a whole new ballgame.

3. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Ummmm, this is interesting!

4. paulyb

paulyb Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    paul bellis
    ....and slicks for 2007 :)

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    New qualifying format

Session one - 15 minutes - Slowest five cars eliminated
    Session two - 15 minutes - Slowest five cars eliminated
    Session three - 20 minutes - Top ten grid slots decided

Its NOT on low fuel. its sucks..

6. dmeyer

dmeyer Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David Meyer
    Its going to make everything more interesting. The new tire rules should help Ferrari. It will be interesting to see how teams react to the fuel rules during qualifying, run heavy and try to get the best time or go lighter and pit sooner, could be an option with tire changes allowed.

7. tylerblue

tylerblue Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Tyler Blue
    They need to go back to one hot lap, low on fuel. May the fastest car win.

8. dmeyer

dmeyer Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David Meyer
    In that case how do you chose running order, it was clear McLaren was the fasterst car this year but if KR or JPM DNFed they had to go out early thus ruining their chances at pole, the new system eliminates that forcing everyone to run at essentially the same time and forcing everyone to run at all points during the session.

9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    well, it should be low fuel...that'll spice things up. anyways, u guys got any idea who starts the sessions? free-for-all, or as usual from the positions from prev. races?

10. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    you guys seen the new areo plans from 2007/2008? its really weird. there splitting the rear wing so that passing can be acomplished easier because of the lack of "dirty air" the new setup will produce

11. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    weird..yeah, i agree, but if it makes more overtaking, i don't mind...

12. dandruff

dandruff Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    ok sorry this post is not really just about the tyre rules but F1 in general.

I am big fan of Formula 1. But it has really deteriorated in recent years.

After Ferrari raped the competition in 2002, it was deemed wise to introduce certain new measures to temper Ferrari's success, make the sport more "exciting" and level the playing field. Well they have finally succeeded. Ferrari and Michael Schumacher are no longer the world champions.

The past 3 years have really just been the most ridiculous and expensive experiment by the FIA, with so many radical changes every year. And honestly, they were all rubbish.

What are the main issues in F1 nowadays?

1. Ferrari dominance (maybe not anymore)
    2. F1 as a spectacle
    3. Safety
    4. Cost

What is the solution? STOP INTRODUCING SO MANY DAMNED NEW RULES!

Ferrari has one of the biggest budgets in the sport. As a result, they would almost always be able to adapt to new rule changes faster than most of the other teams. if F1 had some stability, the other teams would be more able to catch up and the competition therefore would be closer. There is only so much you can improve within certain constraints. This year was a fluke, it was mainly because of Bridgestone’s weakness that Ferrari lost.

F1 has lost its identity with all the new rules. the sport seems unsure of itself. this is bad for it as a spectacle, because how can the *pinnacle* of motorsport be unsure of itself?

So in the interest of safety and “entertainment”, the FIA think its best to SLOW THE CARS DOWN????

Nobody wants to watch SLOW cars. And before you say it, slow cars ≠ overtaking, not necessarily.

The cars are pretty safe as they are. But safety should be addressed by making the cars stronger, having new devices like the HANS, and improving the safety of the circuits themselves etc. not by making the damned cars slower.

Cost of Formula 1? I think it would be a lot cheaper if the teams didn’t have to spend so much money adapting to new rules all the time.

I think 2006 is a step in the right direction. The new qualifying system looks interesting. Hooray they’ve scrapped the “One-set-of-tyres-per-race” rule, probably the stupidest idea ever. And they are even looking at the possibility of the return to full slick tyres in 2007! But the cars are switching to V8 engines, and as I said before, I don’t like the idea of slowing the cars down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To summarize, F1 is the supposed to be the Pinnacle of Motorsport. As such, they have an image and identity to maintain. F1 has lost its identity with all the new rules. The Pinnacle of Motorsport has to be sure of itself. F1 should also be a showcase of technology, we don’t want to see the cars switching to V8s.

what do u guys think?

13. dandruff

dandruff Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  15. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I have never believed the argument that reducing tire changes saved significant amounts of money relative to the rest of a team's budget. Consumables like tires and fuel are trivial compared to running dedicated wind tunnels, custom manufacturing, and high-end engineering staffs.

There can be no other explanation for the failed tire rules than to try and trip up Ferrari-Bridgestone. Now that these rules have worked successfully to that purpose, I am glad to see them go.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure about that. Yes they are a small cost in comparison to the rest of the budget, but there always has been a drive in F1 to reduce the amount of tires used over a weekend. It started with reducing the amount of qualifying tires many years ago. Actually back when Ferrari sucked they already reduced the amount of tires. The number of tires usually increases in periods of two manufacturers, which is another reason currently tires are being looked at closely.

Tires are expensive and very bulky and over the years the mountain of tires the manufacturers have to bring to each race (particularly fly away races) has grown out of proportion.

So I'd say the FIA saw the other side of the coin with Kimi's accident at Nuerburgring and is applying the logic consequence.

17. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The FIA saw INDY and did not want another FIAsco on their hands again.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, I didn't think about that but it makes a lot of sense. In a FIA kind of way. They'll sell it as a safety argument (Nuerburgring) when it really is a decision made to keep the show from derailing (Indy). You're right.

19. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill

Reverse out of practice times - will make practice more fun to watch and will give a chance for everybody to fight for the right to be the last car to qualy

20. Pagani16

Pagani16 Formula 3

Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal(San Diego)
    Full Name:
    Jason T.
    I am curious to see the lap times even with the less hp v-8s they should gain some time back with slick tires.

21. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    i say they should let the teams do what they want for one season. all pervious ban lifted, ie any thing goes. that would bring some radical designs, and some great racing.... :)

22. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    As long as the rules create a lot of welcomed spectator drama, great racing, keep the status of F1 being the cutting edge of racing and reward for the fastest cars/teams....the FIA can do anything they want. HAHA

23. FlyingGilles

FlyingGilles Karting

Aug 21, 2005
    rubish... all rubish..... (trying to be educated...) They should have two 30 mins sessions in wich every car has to complete 12 laps 6 in the first, 6 in the second and then pick the fastest lap of each... plain and simple.... As for costs.. I don't know what is worse, having to build a completly new car every year including engines and tires, or developing what they already have...... the FIA seems to be out of context with F1.....

24. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    It has always been the way the FIA think...

Corrective measures and actions taken after the problem has occurred. What the FIA needs to start thinking about is PREVENTITIVE measures and actions to PREVENT problems.

The FIA's goal was to make sure Ferrari do not become WC again. They really did not care what happened as a result of creating FARCE rules for a FARCE season! Too bad for the FIA that Michael and Ferrari will be back on top next season!