1967 330 GTC | FerrariChat

1967 330 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by T6GUY, Oct 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. T6GUY

T6GUY Rookie

Oct 24, 2005
    Hello All!
    I once owned a 67 330GTC & a 365 GT 2+2 many years ago! I sold them and got into WWII aircraft. I recently came across the very same 330GTC that I owned over 20 years ago! The sad story is that right after I sold it, the car was hit in the front & has been stored ever since! After 30 years in the European automotive business I have the equipped shop facilities to rebuild the car but what about parts!!?? It is going to need all front sheet metal, grill, radiator and some left front suspension parts! It really took a hit in the left front wheel. Having been out of the Ferrari community for 20 years, is there any expectation that I might be able to come up with any of these parts! Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! ( like RUN far & fast or just go buy one!)
    Thanks,
    T6GUY

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If the price is n the ballpark of what you sold it for 20 years ago, jump on it. If the owner thinks its worth the world, then buy it on emotion not reason if you really want it.

If only the front corner is bent, you should be OK. How was the car stored? Is the rest of the body nice and rust free? Is the interior good? How is the rest of the drivetrain? Was the engine damaged in any way during the accident? Its all repairable/rebuildable for a price and considering the nice ones are starting to approach $200k, its tough to get upside down as long as the starting price is very reasonable.

Good Luck,

Art S.

3. T6GUY

T6GUY Rookie

Oct 24, 2005
    #3 T6GUY, Oct 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I sold it for 20k 20 yrs ago. It has been stored in a garage untouched for 20yrs. Not much rust but some on the rear wheel wells. Can only guess about the engine! It really would be a complete bolt for bolt rebuild which I don't mind but I am really concerned about the availability of both fenders, hood and nose! Any ideas where I might get a lead on those parts?? I think I have attached a few pics!

Thanks!
    David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Having been through a GTC and GTE restoration (more on the GTC than GTE) - which was 7 years or so ago.

Original Parts are very difficult to find - not impossible - but sometimes to keep it original as possible - you will spend more time looking and waiting for parts than actually restoring it.

I loved doing it at the time - now I don't (my wife never did - since we didn't get to take them out when they are in pieces). So now I go for the new ones - just start and go.

I will assume by the pictures that your potential GTC is in pretty bad shape. You will need a ton of parts - there are many places to find what you are looking for - to many to list and most will become close friends :). There are places that will redo things like your wheels, carbs, alternators, seats/interior - and whatever you do not do yourself in your shop. (That is if you choose to go original as possible - which I would for resale).

When I sold mine several years ago it was in the 90K range (which I thought was awesome) now looking back - if I would have kept it just 5 or 6 more years and in the condition it was in - more like 190K. But with that in mind means parts also go up in price... So be prepared for a multiyear project and whatever you pay for the car - double it for the parts you will need/labor/service/etc even if you do most of it yourself.

BTW - here is a good start and some parts, info, etc to get you started... http://www.330register.com/register.cfm

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #5 tritone, Oct 24, 2005
    David-
    They're great cars; but I'm happy I don't have to repair/restore mine at todays costs........
    You will want to introduce yourself to another FChatter, Tom Shaughnessy. He collects parts & cars of the era, and may have some of the pieces you're looking for, and/or may be able to help you find them. Always been very helpful to me.
    (or if you wait a just a bit, he will probably find you!) You can PM him through that function.....
    I can point you to 3 small pieces you'll need.....
    Also, there are easily half a dozen other GTC owners on this board, at least one of whom is in the middle of a restoration.
    As well, Google up Tom Yang's site for more 330-series information. Lots of resources available through FChat!
    Regards,
    James

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    T6Guy,

1. considering the condition and the original purchase price I'm assuming its pretty cheap. Does it make economic sense, probobly not, but do it anyway. Yes, you will be able to find or fix everything you need but it won't be as easy as doing a vette. Costwise think T6 without wings.

2. If you pass on it, let me know so that I can keep it away from Tom Shaunessy, who will break it up.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. By the way, I love the color!

7. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    My mouth is watering looking at those pictures. I would have a hard time staying away from this one, especially if I were a previous owner. I think I am finally getting close to the end of my restoration and my comment is that almost everything is available or can be reproduced. It definitely takes a lot of time and is very expensive but it does make you feel good and isn't that what this is all about anyway.

8. T6GUY

T6GUY Rookie

Oct 24, 2005
    Thanks guys! After talking with a couple of you I am going to give it a try! Don't worry about Tom. The only place that car is going is no where or back to me! I have been looking at prices of everything from headlights to engine gasket sets. Boy have prices gone high! I really am going to have to think in aircraft terms! I have some more pics that I will try to put up.
    Later,
    David

9. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #9 shaughnessy, Oct 25, 2005

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Why do you need a new front clip? If old guys in Italy can beat an entire body from a sheet of metal, why can't a careful restorer simply repair the front end that's on the car? It's just a piece of metal. A modern body shop has all kinds of hydraulic hammers, jacks and pullers. You have nothing to lose by trying to save the front clip that you have.

11. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #11 Horsefly, Oct 25, 2005
    If it's been stored in a garage "untouched" for 20 yrs, why does it have one of those modern era, legally required, used car lot warranty stickers in the left rear window?

12. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Those things are 20 years old.
    Tom

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    So the owner bought a Ferrari, then drove down the street for several days/weeks/months with the FTC warranty sticker still attached to the rear window until it got damaged in a wreck? Sounds very weird and far fetched to me.

14. T6GUY

T6GUY Rookie

Oct 24, 2005
    That sticker is the one that I placed in the car when I put it up for sale! I was a dealer at the time. The car was sold with an oil getting into the coolant problem. The fellow I sold it to had a truck pick it up at my dealership and take it to a repair shop in Ohio. It was there that the car was damaged! He never even got a chance to drive the thing!! As far as hammering out sheet metal I could try that as a last effort but I would rather locate straight fenders!
    David

15. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Can you take more pics when you get it out of the garage please?

16. T6GUY

T6GUY Rookie

Oct 24, 2005
    I will put up more pics as soon as get them!!

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Out of the 5 Ferraris I owned and sold before my Boxer, my former 1967 330GTC is the one I regret selling the most. It was a wonderful car!

18. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Please do so and may I ask for the serialnumber?
    Regards
    Jurgen

19. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    My sentiments exactly. My 330 GTC was my first Ferrari, and although I love my Daytona, I miss the 330.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    After USA alternatives are exhausted, there's the FerrariUK Classic Parts Department...they had an employee there for awhile that would post Friday Pictures for us here...

It was pretty amazing, some of the old sheet metal bits they had in the rack!

More to the point of your project, it is my understanding they are also authorized by The Factory to commission repro bits as needed thru modern vendors.....

That doesn't look like severe damage at all to my eye, but I've crashed into a lot of stuff, over the years........

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry, Horsefly, hammers and sandbags are out....

I'm sure they'll roll it, on the Wheel........;)

Like in the Cavallino ad for Karosserie.com! Hey! That guy is rolling as new 308GTB door......