How many of you use a MICROFIBRE drying towel? | FerrariChat

How many of you use a MICROFIBRE drying towel?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Oct 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you EXCLUSIVELY use a Microfibre towel on your car?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I am just wondering, is it only me, or does everyone realize what a difference these towels make?

Wes

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I use a fluffy cat.

3. mdraeger

mdraeger Karting

May 26, 2005
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    mike draeger
    I do about 10,000km a year and wash it once or twice a year whether it needs it or not. I use washing up detergent and a new Hawian shirt. The paint is stuffed but the shirt is just right. Mike d

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They Come in funky Colors but there are EVEN BETTER mega Micro Fibre Towels... They are used for cleaning computer screens...see them in your computer store.....The same difference between terry and Micro is the difference between micro and Mega micro. UNREAL!

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Not for drying the car. But I do use microfiber exclusively when removing wax. I get a pack of 10 at the Dollar General store. Tear off the labels, use them for a few weeks, then toss them in the garbage. They are fine in the laundy machine -- just don't use any dryer sheets (with any car car linens)

-Daniel

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Almost exclusively....I use a Griot's Garage synthetic chamois for initial drying, and finish up using the Costco yellow microfiber cloths. Works great!

I also use Griot's Garage Speed Shine and microfiber cloths for touch up work and between washings.

7. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Microfiber goes last for buffing. If I could get a microfiber big enough to dry with I'd probably buy one. All I've seen are on the small side.

8. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    The reason I ask is because I've become a believer in them.

Owning a black car certainly lets you know what you're doing to your paint, and anything but microfibre will scratch your paint, no question about it. So I've also switched to microfibre for my red car and the wax job I gave it at the start of summer still looks like the day I did it. Everyone around is now stunned, stunned I tell you at how that car shines.

Wanna test?

Take your regular towel and find a spot on your paint, make it wet and then rub it really really hard. Dry it. See how dull you just made it?

Then do the same with a microfibre towel. You just cannot hurt the paint with these things, they're amazing!

Now I know you're probably not going to do this, but you get the idea. Microfibre towels make your shine, and your paint, last much longer.

Personally, I use old bath towels for glass areas and wheels, and do painted surfaces with microfibre towels. You can get these towels for under $10, so if there's a cheaper way to save your paint, I don't know it.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that along. Try it, I think you'll be happy you did.

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    De-clawed, of course. Otherwise, you get some nasty scratches. And don't forget to remove the collar.

In conjunction with the microfibre towel, I also use a California Car Blade -- a surgical plastic squeegie that does a nice job of removing the water without scratching the car. Then use the microfibre towel to sop up what's left. Leaves the car nice and shiny.

10. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    Just switched to micro fiber and I am really happy. Zaino and micro, a nice combinatio for the P-car and the M-car and soon the F-car!!

11. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Are they really that good? I just had a $750 shopping spree at Griot's warehouse. I got just about every polish, cleaner, wax etc...and multiple other tools and supplies, but no microfiber towels. Maybe I should call in an order for them.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Griot's Garage sells the big ones.

13. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Personally I would just get one locally. I use a Simonize one and it's great. They're cheap and once you feel the difference you'll know what I mean.

Otherwise you're beating up on your paint with other towels.

14. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Use the Mr Clean system and you don't have to dry your car at all

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I use the big Griots towels with the pockets sewn in. I use an electric blower first to get the bulk of the water off.

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I really want to get one of these (http://properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html), as it is I use a Korean-made towel from the auto parts store. I don't know if there's really any need to stress over Korean vs Chinese but they make it sound like it might matter.

17. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    I like the Meguires microfiber best. Very thick. I also bought their towel designed for drying...but didn't dig it.

I use Mr. Clean Auto Dry Pro but still dry it. I think the benefit is no build up of water solids in nooks and crannies.

I bought a water blade but haven't used it.

Also....I don't dry microfiber towels on high heat....it makes them loose their softness quicker

18. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I use high number steel wool wrapped around a pine cone. I rub gently back and forth and wipe clean with a puppy brush. The I finish it off with a brick.

19. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    And don't ! Throw or give it away. I've read horror stories of those blades trapping dirt that may have blown on to a washed surface and leaving a nice scratch when the blade was dragged across the car.

I use a leaf blower to blow most of the standing water off then a waffle weave microfiber to remove what's left. I can dry the TR in about 15 mins this way as opposed 30-35mins by toweling alone.