Turn signals cause the slow down light to come on? | FerrariChat

Turn signals cause the slow down light to come on?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rleander, Oct 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    Greetings all,

Here's one I've not hear before. My 91 348ts is in for service/inspection. On the way to the dealer the car stalls at every stop light. Service discovers ECU's are fried. They get new ones, check them out on the computer, everything looks ok. Install them, take the car out, runs like a champ. Tech pulls up to a stop light, hits the turn signal, slow down light comes on immediately and one bank of cylinders shuts down. Gets back to the service department, and discovers that anytime the turn signal is activated OR the parking break is activiated slow down light comes on and bank of cylinders shuts down (not sure which bank). Service tech believes it's a short in the console somewhere and is trying to track. Anybody ever had this experience? Any suggestion on what else to try?

2. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'd look closely for a grounding problem some where. I don't have a circuit diagram here but look for common grounds in the dash or trunk (more likely) area would be my guess.
    VERY outside chance maybe an open circuit battery or supply line fault. Also check for over/under voltage. Say 10.5-17V alt output. With foot on brake and turn signal it's not a high load but??

To be honest, if it's a constant and not intermittent fault, a good tech should be able to trace the fault reasonbly fast with a multimeter and wiring diagram.

Good luck!

3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Had the EXACT same thing happen to my 360, was left turn signal or brake lights. Turned out to be left rear ground wire. Was difficult to find because the ground wire looked Ok, but upon further inspection the sleeve inside the frame (groud wire mounted to sleeve Ok) was loose.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  5. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out one of the thermocouplers was bad. Replaced it and the problem went away. Car compelted it's PPI and will soon be on its way to its new owner. Now the search for the replacement can really begin.