I bought a new car today.... | FerrariChat

I bought a new car today....

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Peter, Oct 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    ...Well, placed an order for...

A Smart car!

My daily driver has been giving me problems (failed emissions test, clutch started to go, many other little problems), so after nine years of reliable service it's time for something new.

I test-drove the car back in Spring, when the autoshow was on. They set-up a demonstration drive through an obstacle course in the parking lot, to show people the handling capabilities of the car and I left knowing it would be the car to get. And now I am! Its the perfect car for my needs (going back-and-forth to work)

It will arrive in January and I'm looking forward to it.

Sorry for the non-Ferrari content.

Actually there is Ferrari content. I drove to the dealer today in my GT4 to place the order. I had told the saleswoman that I owned a Ferrari and she wanted to see it. She was quite impressed with it.

2. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Peter, no need to apologize for the non-Ferrari content. The Smart is a real attention grabber these days, as well as a wise choice when considering fuel consumption. It's particularly popular in Quebec.

My wife and I are deciding between a Smart, or the new B-Class by Benz.

Enjoy!

3. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    My mom and dad are looking into getting a smart, but maybe a jetta deisel or somthing. I like the smart car, it think it looks pretty good.

4. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Cool little cars, have fun with it.

Keep it away from larger vehicles though, I'd hate to see one tangle with an SUV....Although, this would also apply to any number of low slung Ferraris/sports cars.

5. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Congrats! what colour, which model (I think there's 2?), when does it get here?

a great book-end to the GT4, what a hoot. Does that mean the Elise is pushed back a few more years?

yeah - stay away from those semi's on the #1...

6. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Congradulations! Smart Produces 5 different vehicles from what i know, Smart For-two, For-Two cabrio, For-Four, Four-four cabio, and Roadster. And i beleive only the For-Two and For-Two Cabrio are sold here in Canada. Great little cars. Out of curiousitly, whats MSRP here for one?

7. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    I work at a Mercedes dealership here in Calgary, we sell Smarts as well. Every technician absolutley hates them, because of their problems. The engine is in such a hard to reach place, and everything is so tight.

We have had owners with problem after problem with these cars. One onwer's clutch went at 5000Kms, another person's coolant started leaking 1 week after he got it, and so on. All covered under warranty, but a pain in the ass.

If I were in the market for a small car that was economical, i'd get a Mini Cooper. Much bigger inside and much fewer problems.

Just my 0.02.

8. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    MSRP is anywhere from 16,900 base up to 30,000 fully loaded roadster.

9. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    What about the B-Class Benz?

10. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    We just got them in about 2 weeks ago, and i've put about 50Kms on one just driving it around and doing shuttle. The B200 Turbo is a suprisingly quick car. It doesn't look it, but it is. Tire spin off the line happens. You can hear the turbo spooling up and the blow-off valve.

It looks like you sit high, but not at all. 5 Passengers, plus a small trunk. The sunroof is awesome too. Super big and folds back realy neatly. No NAV/SAT/TEL option, but the standard radio and cd work well.

The exterior is a bit weird where the windshield meets the hood on the corners, looks like they screwed up on the design kind of...Otherwise, it's a great car.

11. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Thanks a bunch Sheldon!!

12. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    good for u! these cars are nice for the environment. and i guess the City is giving some parking discounts at their Easy Park lots?

honestly i thought those demo tracks were to impress potential buyers. however, the Smart demo left us unimpressed with it. it really highlights the poor qualities of the smart.

there had been numerous test drives set up this way by various manufacturers. i think MINI really makes most people impress with the cars on their course.

while we are at it, MB has their RMB test drive this week.

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    "Pulse" model, coupe w. the sunroof, White body panels/Black tridion safety cell, Blue-Grey interior.

Pretty much, unless I win the $20+ million prize for this upcoming 6/49 :) Then that, plus many other "wish-list" cars too (its quite a long list).

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #14 Nuvolari, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good fo you Peter. The Smart is a great car. If you think you get attention in the Ferrari wait until the Smart. My friend is just inundated with questions every time he drives it. It is almost as though people think you are much more approachable driving a Smart than driving a Ferrari. Back in 1999 I rented one in Italy and drove it for 4 days. The highlight was driving it around the old banking at Monza. Here is a pic (I could not go any higher up the banking or it would have tipped over):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    You know, it's true. So far, people who I've mentioned to that I'm getting a Smart, have all had positive comments. I've also noticed their different reactions when I tell them I own a Ferrari. It's not a big difference, but there is a very slight change from a bright, cheerful reaction to the mention of Smart car, to a "wow, you OWN a Ferrari?" impressed/you-got-$$$ reaction ;)

How did you manage to get access to that section of track???

16. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    You must have a huge schlong to drive that car in North America.

17. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

Did you tell her she could be more impressed if she had a ride in it....???

18. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia

looking at the car , I think he carried it over the embankment and threw
    it onto the track ....

was it a one man or two man job ?

heha.

19. chefcook

chefcook Rookie

Oct 6, 2005
    I had a Smart Pulse Cabrio as my daily driver between 2002 and 2004. I can't agree with the MB salesman. I have not had any problems for 40k miles! I gave the car to my mother in 2004. She has 60k miles on it now and except for a light switch and a rattle in the trunk (which was fixed at the dealer without paying for it) it had no problems.
    After 5k miles I got a new ecu, brabus shocks with springs and a brabus exhaust installed, the car is doing 103 mph (!) and makes 75hp. Fuel consumption didn't went up with the new ecu.
    The shocks and springs are worth every cent and very recommendable!

20. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    ...that the "SMART" division of MB lost almost 1/2 Billion Euro last year? I guess their introduction of this car in Canada is an attempt to get back in the black.

My sister in Switzerland sold hers after her kids started driving....for "safety reasons" she told me...

I also wonder how this car adapts to Quebec roads....with potholes, more undisciplined drivers than almost anywhere else in the world etc...

I agree that it is a great little car but I'm not so sure that it is the right vehicle for here...

BTW this is my first post on "FerrariChat" (couldn't resist to contribute my proverbial 2c's worth), so please don't lynch me if I said anything wrong or hurt anybody's feelings..

21. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Just noticed that the happy new Owner lives in BC. Knowing that both roads and driving habits out west beat our eastern conditions by a landslide (and if you don't have kids learning how to drive), the SMART might actually be a very "smart" decision....

22. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

Walter,

First of all, welcome to FerrariChat! By no means will anybody here lynch you for speaking your opinion. We all have them and we're all entitled to them. I agree somewhat with what you've said about the Smart car not being the right car for this market. I like the Smart car - it's a really neat design, small packaging and apparently a very safe vehicle. I would have it as an in-city runabout, not as a cross-country driver. With the increase in SUV popularity (well, at least before the gas prices soaring), I wouldn't want to be driving a Smart when I was hit by a giant Excursion.

Cheers,

Andrew

edit - Nice Mondial!!!!!!!

23. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    those are really cool pics...

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thanks.

As for how I accessed that part of the track, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you :)

25. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Go ahead, shoot! :p