post Hurricane Wilma | FerrariChat

post Hurricane Wilma

Discussion in 'Florida' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dam that was a big 1. power went out in my Bldg & Ive never lost power before during a storm. Had to climb 10 flights of stairs yesterday as the elevators were out too. Power is back today. There was over 2 feet of water in some intersections, stoplights & wires dangling, trees down everywhere. 95% of stores are still closed

Last night was surreal watching the view from my balcony I can see from Downtown Miami to SoBe & up to Aventura which is maybe 20 miles away. EVERYTHING was dark except fo r emergency lights and the sky was awesome.

Tonight I expect a lot more lights on, I'll have to get some photos

The Slutmobile is safe & dry

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    glad you are safe. any word on martin?

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think Martin drove his motorhome up North which was a good idea because I wouldnt want to be in a Motorhome in a Cat 2+ Hurricane.

Helll, my 30 story Building was swaying 6-10 inches, it was like being on a boat in here. I'd hate to see what really being on a boat was like

4. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Guess you were impressed then?

Martin was in DC, spoke with him this AM and he was in GA heading south. He said that everyone he knew about was OK.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm glad you made it through okay. Big storms have a way of making you feel very small.

Dale

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I suppose I underestimated Wilma a little, after 10 Hurricanes or so they dont seem so scarey. I am alwasys prepared for the worst now I have to add a few things to my list mike a grille, generator, Lots more batteries, candles, matches, and food I really want to eat, Living on canned tuna, soup, & water doesnt sound so great

7. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I'm heading down to my house tomorrow. It sounds really bad. The house 2 doors lost the entire roof and it landed on his new car. Boats are sunk and docks damaged. Trees are down and crap is everywhere to get picked up.

8. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I am okay. We were in Washington DC when the storm hit. Back last night, brought some generators for friends along the way and some gas in the few gas cans we could buy.
    Robert, don't come down.
    Forget the house at this point. There is nothing here. No food, no water and worst, no gas. The last gas points are MM 173 on I95. Orlando has no gas from what I know.

I have a power pole in front of the street to my warehouse. So I have to figure where to leave the car now. Anybody with a space in their garage to keep a car for a week?

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hey Martin, which car is it ? I think I can keep it at my Bldg for a week if you dont mind the valets parking it. Otherwise if you help me fill up a tire you can park it downstairs yourself & I'll move my friends car up to valet

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody here in naples? i cant seem to reach my parents anymore and i am thinking its because the power is out....anybody know?

11. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    #11 RobertM, Oct 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a photo from my front door in Weston, Fl. We did not have any real issues besides roof tile. Most landscaping.

We were very lucky, we never lost power
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    William,

How did the Tequestas fare? I called the office in my building and they said some windows broke but only a small percentage of them. Trying to get down there but waiting for Ft. Lauderdale airport to open up. Also if you dont mind can you peek across and see if the Yellow Maser is ok in the other garage, I think you can see it from your garage. Thanks! Is the publix open by us?

13. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Both Publix are open (the one on 13st and the one 7st)... The one on 7st has full power and not on generator like the rest.

Food and water is not an issue, however ice is a problem if you don't have power.... The big issue is fuel at this time....

Some parts of the Gables are back up... Miami Beach by 57th and Collins are up.

I heard parts of the Falls is up as well.

Some parts of Key Biscayne are up... Some parts of the Falls are also up.

14. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Martin, I have a spot at my office if you need it...

15. Don't most expensive homes in South Florida have natural gas generators? Hell I have seen most homes here in Illinois with gas generators.

Please post more pictures!!

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Very little damage here. The garage is pretty good, maybe your car got a little wet but thats probably the worst. A few fences blew in but mostly on the lower floors. When I go back to the garage I'll look for the yellow Maser

Now Brickell Ave got hammered. The Greenberg, Colonial, Mellon & other buildings have a lot of broken glass a few bldgs have more broken windows than glass windows

strange but Brickell Key got off very easy apart from a lot of downed trees & bushes, We had power back within 24 hours

if you come down from the north bring several full 5 gallon drums of fuel

17. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Thanks William I really appreiciate it,

Im coming down from the North, but way north--New York. They might look at me kinda funny wheeling those drums of gasoline into the airport! Is it really an issue finding working gas stations in the area?

18. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    it certainly is today. Most are closed, I guess out of fuel. I passed 3 gas lines over 6 blocks long today. Crazy. Stay in NY until next week if you can, things should be closer to normal by then

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    finally reached parents in naples. they did not get too badly hit at all but there is no power and no water and there might not be for weeks ! yes weeks ! so if you dont need to go down there, dont!

20. spyderman33

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Not alot of natural gas in Miami but I know that those can also run on propane...

I am getting one after this season ends... maybe we can get a group buy going!

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my dad sure wishes he had installed one from the start (as i suggested to him)....but now the best place to get a generator is anywhere but fl. IF you can find one the price is twice the market rate elsewhere. so for all of you living far away but having a house in the hurricane zone: buy one where you live and haul ot down with you next time you go.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Having evacuated Wilma for Sebring Saturday night, take Martin's advice and stay away until power and gas are available.

I made my way north and and now in Lakeland with no plans to return until the lights are on again.

Hope everyone is well.

BHW

23. Those kohler power generators here are almost a standard on all luxury homes and businesses. My friend had one installed on his house when he was building it, it is uninteruptible and runs of natural gas. I can't remember how much it was, but not to much.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ross, I use AIG/Marsh for my personal insurance. (Yes, THAT AIG and Marsh.) When my mother's home got hit last year, they paid $5,000 for the generator that I brought. At the time, it was the only one I could find in Houston because all the other generators had been shipped to the Caymans.

Dale

25. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Man - that was a good one......
    Many regulars not posting due to no power...
    For those that may not know this, about 90% Miami and 98% Ft Laud out of power with restoration projected on 11/22. Curfew in both towns. This is the worst I have seen....
    Only saving Grace is 100 gals fuel in boat for generator...