Mondial T transmission whine | FerrariChat

Mondial T transmission whine

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GTSRacer, Oct 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    Has anyone experienced a similar issue with the transmission being 'whiny'? Mostly in 4th and 5th, it disappears when I pull forward on the lever on 4th and back on the lever in 5th? Is there an adjustment on the linkage, or would changing fluid make a difference? Of course I could always drive with one hand on the gear shift at all times , but the noise really gets annoying on the highway just cruising. FYI, I have owned the car 7 years and it has 44K miles, and fluid was replaced 2 years ago at major service, but with OEM stuff.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    STOP DRIVING THE CAR!!!!!!!
    Unless you want to become the 3rd member of this club, and trust me you don't, I'm #2. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77427

It sounds like you have a bearing problem. There are two bearings on the tranny oil pump side of the gear box. The retaining ring on one of them came appart in mine and destroyed the rear bevel/pinion gear in my tranny. When the bearing/s goes bad it allows either the lay shaft, or main shaft, or both to move in the gear box. The whining you are hearing is the gears not messing properly, or the tranny is low on oil. When you pull on the shift leaver it holds the gear in place which is why the whining stops.

Since the oil was changed two years ago, drain the oil out of the gearbox, it's time to change it anyway. Then remove the bottom inspection plate to see what the condition of the gears are, and too look for busted bits of metal.

3. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    Thanks much for the info Ernie. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I understand. I'll drain & check the fluid first. Are the bearing(s) replacement a big deal? Parts cost, etc..

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Oct 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do like that "t" gearbox from a exotic mechanica viewpoint (as long as I'm not paying to fix it ;)) -- not many cars running around out there with a bevel gear set and a coaxial shaft arrangement:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If it's just the outer bearings and you do the work, I would say a few hundred bucks. But if you take it to the dealer Big Money for the same job. Now if any of gear gears are thrashed, or inner bearings, then it gets expensive, a few thousand expensive. If you have the dealer do the work then it goes from Big Money, to HUGE MONEY. Last quote I heard for a tranny rebuild was $17,000.

So DO NOT drive the car, until you have checked things out.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You can send your gearbox to Ernie's and Fatso's garage we fix gearboxes with Especial ferrari tool the "BFH" to the absolute tolerance of one "RCH".

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes the BFH is absolutly needed for removal of the shafts.

8. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    All very helpful, thanks guys. I've contacted Krause&England in Raleigh, NC - about 3 hours from where I live. They did my major and are experts in Mondials. Definitely more trustworthy and reliable (not to mention cheaper) than our closest dealers. It also helps that they're vintage racers and have more than a passing knowledge of italian mechanicals. Hopefully damage will be limited to the outer bearings.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hey don't let chicken little ernie get you all paniced. the sky is always falling with him. It could be something very simple. One time this guy sworn his trans was bad but it was really the rattling of his exhaust system. On the other hand I think most of the gearboxes I have seen go bad do it around 50k miles +/- a few thou.. Good luck. Think positive energy...

Hey Ernie how are parts coming? If you don't get me some parts I'm just going to sit on my A$$ eating donuts.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Clutch change on the "T" boxes became much easier, versus earlier editions...

*BigTex, trying to offer positive vibe to the discussion.....*

We ALL try to think only happy thoughts, when our rides start making these strange noises.....

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    CHICKEN LITTLE, OOOOOOOH you'll get yours. No more jelly fill's for you smartass. LOL!!!

As for the parts, I'm waiting to hear back about them next week.

12. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    OK guys, drained the tranny this weekend and no obvious metal shaving; just a little of silt. In fact I would say less than I expected. Also spoke to the shop in Raleigh and based on my description of the fluid, they do not point to bearing - or worse. So big sigh of relief! Also described the noise in more detail.. don't know if it's a whine, or more of a ssssshhhhh... which by the way it more or less has always done since I've had the car, seven years and 20K miles ago. Peter and the guys from K&E are thinking linkage adjustment... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well that's good to hear. Nice you said there are no traces of metal, then you were probably just low on oil. Refill it, then check the adjustment of the shifter cables as was suggested.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

14. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    You said it Ernie! It's really a love/hate thing with these cars... love <most of the time>, hate to part with it <for completely irrational reasons>*