brake pad mounting parts 308 / 246 supply | FerrariChat

brake pad mounting parts 308 / 246 supply

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Martin308GTB, Oct 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

after doing thorough research for around one year I can now state, that there are no more brake mounting parts for the 308 and 246 calipers available anywhere.
    I talk about the springs and pins which should be renewed when replacing the brake pads.
    I spent a lot of money to try all the ‚so called‘ cross references like Porsche or Mercedes parts but none of them did fit.
    Extensive phone calls with ATE in Germany and with all of the relevant suppliers had negative results.
    Therefore I decided to have a bunch of these parts made by a leading german manufacturer of brake parts.
    They are ISO 9001 certificated and the parts would be of the highest quality standards.
    But before assignment I would like to collect some informations about customer’s interest.
    Beginning with the brake pad installation parts for the front calipers I would like to know how much of you 308 / 246 owners out there would be interested in supply of these parts.

Best Regards

Martin

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I assume you've tried buying ATE pads? As recently as 5 years ago, the fitting kit would come with pads... but the price was not competitive.

Personally, I think you'll struggle to sell enough, but I'd happily be proved wrong.

For me, I find that condition wise, the parts very rarely need any attention, and if I want them to look like new again, I blast and prepare them, and get them all plated for peanuts in a batch with other bits. In the last 10 years, I've not had the need for any new ones, and I estimate I've fitted probably 40-50 sets of 308/246 pads.

But, if you can make them cost effectively, great. Don't mortgage your house on this project though.

3. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    Hello Martin,

great idea! You are right, the brake mounting kits are important and absolutly rare. I'm interested in some kits (some more for the future).

Greetings,

Heiko

4. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    Hi Martin,

that sounds like a brilliant idea. Please reserve a few sets for me.

Regards,

Robert

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'd be interested in rear only (I've got Brembo GT big brake kit on the front)

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I know; I purchased the last set, which came together with the accessories, in 1999

I cannot agree. Why there's so little interest in these parts is beyond me. While working on my cars my guideline is to follow manufacturer's recommendations and advices. And all brake pad manufacturers give the instruction to replace the brake mounting parts together with every pad replacement.
    They are springs and springs get tired.
    While each workshop replaces these parts on each every day car, I wonder why importance on Ferraris should be less.

I have reused the pins and springs on the front of my 308 GTB four times now and I hate it to feel like they come out and get in too easily compared with new parts.

Best Regards

Martin

7. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    Yes Martin, you are right.

Regards,

Heiko

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Unless you bend or break these parts they last forever. I have had ATE brakes on my wife's Volvo for years and they are the orign's . 250k miles on the car and these cars eat brakes. Never had a problem. Also what kind of milage or driving are you putting on the car. I am on the 2nd set of pads on my 308 with 50K miles and don't expect to need new pads for years at 3k miles a year. My 2 cents , enjoy the ride

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Price point?

I would need one set more for the lifetime (well, mine at least) of my Dino. then maybe a backup set for my grandchildren, and I'm good to go.

So, front/rear two sets, price??

DM

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    o.k.; I have understood. Maybe I should set up something with 'cambelt tensioner bearings' :)

Best Regards

Martin

11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I tend to agree.
    When I rebuilt my brakes, I just media blasted the parts and then refinished them.

By the way, did you look into spring clips for an early porsche 911 & 914?

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    o.k., I risk hijacking my own thread, but:

2nd set of pads at 50 k mls ? Are you sure ? I make maximum 10.000 kms ( 6.250 mls ) with one set.
    And yes, my calipers are in perfect condition.
    But without kidding; this is highly interesting to read how many miles some of you are making with one set of pads.
    Is this the german Autobahn without speed limit, or what else could be the reason ?

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

13. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Martin I have a 2002 Jaguar with the orig. pads and I just turned 52K miles. Mostly freeway miles but Im usually easy on the brakes.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I think such modern stuff is not comparable, because today pads are much thicker and have a bigger surface than these 'tiny' pads on the 308.
    I have a Volkswagen with which I can make 90.000 kms with one brake pad set.
    Even the 328 is not comparable with the 308 because the pads are bigger.

Hence I limit my question; how many miles on one brake pad set with a Ferrari 308 ?

Best Regards

Martin

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #15 Martin308GTB, Feb 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello from Germany,

after the leading parts suppliers couldn't help I have finally sourced the brake pad mounting parts for the whole 308 cars range and 246 with ATE-brakes.
    At least for the front.

Anyone interested ?

Best Regards

Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm interested. Please advise how I can purchase them.

17. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    I would be interested contact me please. I also think you need to contact Ferrari parts stores and market to them. Half a dozen parts houses that stock 8 to 12 kits could make it feasable to make the first run.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

in the meantime I have decided to offer one set on ebay.com to see how much interest there is actually. I will launch the auction shortly.
    I know it's sometimes not so popular to advertise any ebay auctions here, but I hope it's nevertheless o.k. If not, sorry, but before I purchase more of these parts, I want to know whether there's a market for them.

Some months ago I had already contacted the leading parts stores, but there was not enough response to have the parts made at a competitive price.
    Then I was lucky enough to source a - limited - stock of suitable, genuine ATE-parts.

I would also be able to supply the mounting accessories for the rear, but those would require some minor modifications ( machining, shortening of the pins ).

Best Regards and thanks for your responses so far

Martin

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Let us know

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Martin,
    Didn't win your eBAY auction, but am still interested in getting both front & rear sets. Don't mind doing the necessary mods to the rear hw.

Send pricing info to: [email protected]