steve f's ban and your choices... | Page 7 | FerrariChat

steve f's ban and your choices...

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by rob lay, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Good. So if i get you two talking without either losing face Steve and the rest are welcome back?

2. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Read first

However if you read this paragraph in isolation you are clearly calling the rest of us a/h.

As of course opposed to most of us !!!!!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK - I need to get some work done. I'm closing the thread for the time being. I will respond to all outstanding posts before I leave though. I have meetings from 11am until 3pm Texas time, but will be back after that and tonight.

Thanks for all the PM's and feedback. I'm not going to back down and leave y'all alone. However, lets work together what can be improved and get over our differences. I think 95% of our problems might be some of your attitudes and misunderstandings towards me, then my terse responses to that attitude.

I'm sure we can all work through it, but me leaving isn't getting to the root cause. Hang in there folks.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't want to remove you. I want users with a bad attitude to remove themselves if they're not willing to be positive and work their problems out.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Guys it is really hard for me to keep up with posts by myself and respond to everything, especially when you aren't reading everything I say. These other users were only banned because they broke the rule about posting outside this thread, not over anything they said. Please help me by not making me repeat myself. Thanks.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    <be nice and don't make intelligence comments>He has my email</be nice>

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    He has been open to contact me since yesterday.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Everyone, this is an example of how to provide useful feedback in a positive way! Thank you.

I'm talking with the mods right now about adding some sub-forums in UK. I think it is crowded enough to justify and that man resolve several issues.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If Steve and I work out our issues, which I'm sure we will.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, I know, but obviously 1,500 Ferrari UK users didn't become *******s at once. I was really just referring to those that went overboard with their first responses and didn't approach me properly.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Open until I have to leave for home.

Please, if you are just having a personal issue with me, then please take it offline by PM or email. I can respond to PM easier. Thanks.

I think the steve f thing is handled, we're planning to talk and will work out our personal issues.

All the banned users were just because they took the topic out of this thread. If steve and I resolve our differences and I lift his ban, I will lift the ban of the others too.

As far as feedback to what changes or none need to happen in UK, I think that is the only thing up for discussion.

12. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Rob, this may be too little, too late as most have taken their custom elsewhere.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll try to translate... so I should make sure the thread is closed before everyone gets home from the pub? ;)

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    It's good that differences seem to have been ironed out. It would be useful to have your input on what you see as the probs here and how we can all work together to sort them out.
    I really don't want to leave Fchat and i'm pretty sure most of the regulars feel the same way. However Rob, your recent treatment has been very high handed and we're made to feel like naughty kids. For me, Fchat has evolved from being somewhere i visit for tech info, meet info, general chat to a place i consider a virtual home. The friendships made here are very strong and people look out for each other. That's why feelings were running so high y'day.

15. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    It is quite obvious that some of the regulars have taken their custom somewhere else. Bad or good - time will tell.

I am a member in something like 10 forums on variety of subjects. Some American, some UK based, some very international, multicultural.
    In none of them did I ever see the mods getting involved. Nor do I see so much OT whether marked as such or not.
    Why do I have only 44 post? Because, even the few, and far between, serious treads, by the time I read them, turn into the usual 'humour'
    I am not British yet, have grown up on British humour'. It’s wonderfully undetected and sublime. Even when grotesque, it is not vulgar, ever. Something I cannot say on some of the stuff that went around in this forum… picture of dung anyone?

I have read Steve's offending post. Whether joke or banter, it was, or could at least be interpreted as offensive. I do not know what usual Texan's attitude toward Alamo, nor do In know whether Rob is short. But cultural differences work both way.
    I am sure that Jews, if there are any in this forum, had lots to be offended by… modenazis and matching picture…???!!!
    I have been told, by Manu actually, that Steve is a great guy. So it might just be his way around here. I mean, is there really a point or is there anything funny about 2 posts, reposted 9000 time?
    I am not getting into the current feud, and I think that the multiple bans were heavy handed and not very helpful. Buy I do think that everyone overreacted and everyone used language I would not have used myself.

I am not intending to offend anyone. I have been thinking for long long time to write what I am writing now. Simply, for a forum a bout cars and Ferrari, there is so many posts, so little about cars and Ferrari.

Just my 2pence of perspective.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I apologize that I was heavy handed towards a few and other innocent users felt they were receiving the wrath too. I know most of the users here are good and that's not who I was having problems with.

Having the poll and discussion if UK has outgrown one forum is a start. Trust me, I want to leave you alone as quick as I can, there are only two things that need to happen for me to leave…

1. Users that still have a personal issue with me and want to remain on FerrariChat.com, then you need to PM or email me so we can work out our differences. I don't know who those users are, but after the fact I won't tolerate users like steve f following me around to every forum attacking me every chance. That is what I'm putting an end to. All it takes is a personal conversation to resolve.
    2. I need assurance that the UK forum is healthy for moving forward. Maybe nothing needs to be done, but I'm getting much feedback that something does. We need to analyze the problems and if changes are appropriate, we'll make them. We don't have to make all changes overnight and they don't have to be permanent, I just think a few things are broken and we need to experiment. Most users won't notice any changes at all.

So all of you should be motivated to address those two things and I will be gone. :)

17. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Rob

Why not simply revoke the bans issued over the past 24 hours and leave moderation of the UK users and section to the current mods (who do a good job of containing most of the sillynes in the UK section), any further breaches in protocol could be resolved by Graham and Stig at your behest (also providing you with a nice sanity check)

whilst I view most of Steve's post's as irelevant crap, the bannings from yesterday and today have been a little too much

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We'll do that when we work through 1 and 2 above (below for me). That's all I'm looking for.

19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hello UK group..........

I've been watching this thread with real disappointment -

"Can't we all just get along?"

As you know, I come into the UK section to offer advice and support when I feel it could be helpful. I've not a bad thing to say against anyone in this section... There are even a few I like :).

I've got to say that this time I agree with your position on the heavy handedness from Rob. So, you have support from the other side of the pond on that issue.

I think the issue is one of micro management. Rob, you really should pass off the banning to mods at all costs. You are the man on at the top. You are supposed to be the voice of reason when things start tumbling. If your part of the tumble, then there is no one else to go to. That is why CEOs rely on Presidents and Presidents on VPs... etc, on down the line. Talk to sucessful businessmen (women) and you'll see they know how to delegate.

As for the actual ban, I don't know anything about it. I've just seen this get way out of hand.

Members - Just follow the rules....
    Mods - Regulate the rules evenly ...

Good Luck

20. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Over the last few years i have really enjoyed the time spent on F/Chat, I have been a member for a lot longer than the 2003 on my profile suggests ,right from the early days of F/Chat i guess I suppose really it has become addictive It really saddens me now with all this crap going on ,all the rubbish (imho) posted about the Ferrari Owners Club ,Aggro with R Lay (i can see where people are coming from) ,guys getting banned ,hardley anybody posting anything on here tonight ,it all seems a bit sad really .Cant we move on and get back to chatting about the Ferraris and other cars we get so much pleasure from weather an owner or not I for one am fed up reading some of this crap

RAY430RED

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So I don't ever have to moderate again? Holy cow, I will pay all users if I can do that. Please sign me up.

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

No.....

You have to moderate the moderators......It's not all fun and games.

Rob, I hope it goes without saying, that I offer this advice to help you and the Fchat community.

BTW- you don't have to pay all the users.... just me will be fine.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So you think it is heavy handed to...

1. Ban a user for something outside the UK forum.
    2. Come back to the UK forum full of personal attacks towards me because how dare a UK user ever get banned.
    3. I try to focus all discussions in one thread to avoid a multiple thread chaos and ban users after I tell them that's what I will do if they post outside the designated thread.
    4. Ask publicly for any users with personal issues with me to contact me by PM or email.

Wow, that is really heavy handed. Maybe I should just let anyone abuse me anyway they want.

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Rob,

The action of banning people for speaking out is heavy handed and not balanced as I have seen people say far worse and not get repremanded.

The action of closing this thread at will and deleting other threads is heavy handed.

If someone in the UK section has not followed the rules then I do think a moderator should repremand the person in a consistant way.

No, I don't think anyone should be allowed to abuse you or anyone else, for that matter......

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Also, if there are users that don't want to be here now and work out any issues like a man, then you don't deserve to ever be back here again. Cowardly people that lack a positive attitude or at least a desire to work out differences towards a positive attitude are the ones I want to rid FerrariChat.com of, mission accomplished. This is a bright new day for our community.