1st Gen (NA) Miata Owners: | FerrariChat

1st Gen (NA) Miata Owners:

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by hwyengr, Oct 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I just got back from the Mazda Zoom-Zoom event with the new NC Miata. This was the first time I've ever driven a Miata of any kind, and it was a hoot! I've been straying away from my nimble car roots, and I've decided to ditch my Mustang (love the torque and exhaust note, but its a tank).

My question is, though, is the 1st gen Miata just as much fun, or more fun, than the new car? I'd have a hard time eating the depreciation over the first years on a brand new car if the 10-year old, fully depreciated Miata is as good of a ride. I know that they're well known for reliability, but does the car feel as tight after its racked up 100k+ miles?

I also felt pretty good, not having been around an autocross track in over 3 years, and still turning a time within ~2 sec. of the "target time" :)

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Barn doors are the cat's PJs. More nimble.

I love the first gen. Wouldn't take the second. 3rd, don't know yet.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    As the owner of a 2nd gen car that has been modified to Spec Miata standards, don't listen to this wuss.

You do need to understand that these cars are very underpowered. Of course, this also make them run forever.

Very, very, cool car.

Dale

4. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I like all three gens. of miata's.
    I would rather drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow.
    H.P. can get you in trouble.

5. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You can get a new Mazdaspeed Miata for $20k-ish (MSRP of $27k). Or just wait another year or two and buy a used MSM.

///Michael.

6. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    We bought a Mariner Blue base package Miata brand new back in 1991. We owned the car 12 years and 150K miles. It had manual windows, no ABS, no stereo, no nothing at it was arguably the most fun car we've ever owned. It was bulletproof and unless I don't ever recall driving it without returning home with a smile on my face.

The car did "loosen up" a bit over time but it was nothing terrible and frankly if we had put a roll bar or roll cage in it, it wouldn't have mattered.

We sold that car when we got a very nice, slightly used 1996 popular equipment package Miata with 40K on it from a friend in 2003. My sister drove that car until about 6 months ago every day and it was sold with 100K miles. Frankly, I don't think it was as well built as our original 1.6L motor car but it was still pretty damned good.

I was never a fan of the fixed headlight, GenII cars but that's just me. Other than the tailights, I really like the new GenIII cars.

Miatas are fantastic road cars and you're right that they certainly aren't over powered by any stretch of the means. But its amazing how much fun you can have with just over 100 bhp (our 1991) when the car is so perfectly balanced and it's very lightweight.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i think drwho's use of the word "underpowered" is perhaps an "understatement".

imo, make sure you're damn comfy with the power these things put out before you shell out buckages.

fwiw, i've driven a 1st gen extensively and i definitely could not live with the stock output.

doody.