308 QV died on the road, Fuel Distributor problem? | FerrariChat

308 QV died on the road, Fuel Distributor problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kclow, Oct 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    hi,

My 308 QV died on the road. It was running fine and suddenly stalled and cannot be started again. After leaving it for a while, I tried again, got it started for like 2-3 seconds and died again! My mechanic has removed the fuel distributor since he confirmed that is spark and the fuel pump is working, but the plugs are dry. Is it possible for the FD to just die like this? An other possible causes? I am in Singapore. Thanks.

KC

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I don't think it is in the fuel dist. Normally, they will gradually stick over time from sitting but not just stop working. I would check your fuel pump for power again. Many problems to the pump working intermittently can be traced to the fuseblock. The fuse block issue can cause the pump to have power then no power then power then no power. The FD is expensive and I wouldn't let him start there. There is a good chance the pump has power no but once the fuseblock gets warm the connection gets interupted intermittently. I have heard many times after they are changed the car never runs quite as good as it did originally. I am also reluctant to mess with them unless it is absolutely necessary.

3. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have checked the pump & accumulator and both seems to be working fine. I also agree that the FD should not just stop working like that, but I am drawing a blank now. Fuses and relays have all checked out. in fact my mechanic is going to try pulling the FD from another car to try tomorrow!

4. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    my car has done 90k miles, but have only failed on the road 3 times: once with a dead alternator, bust water hose, and now this. I used it very regularly, almost daily in the last year!

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Did he check your fuel pressures? If so I would like to see them.

6. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    No i do not think he has done so. BTW there has been a mysterious fuel seepage seemingly coming from the thin plastic fuel hoses between the FD and the injectors but whose source we were unable to trace. Does this help?

7. ctk

ctk Karting

Jul 2, 2001
    Singapore
    Have you tried the old trick of pressurising the sensor plate by preesing down on it very gently and to feel if there is resistance? You need to have your ignition on by the way.

If there is no resistance at the sensor plate, the pushing action should cause it to pressurise instantly. Replace the airbox and crank the engine.

The engine should now start.

Also check the electrical connector to the FD.

ctk

8. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    Cool trick, no never knew of this! but my FD is already out of the car! If the car starts then what is the problem/cause?

The electrical connection is good.

Thanks

9. ctk

ctk Karting

Jul 2, 2001
    Singapore
    An earth problem to your K-Jet circuit.

You still have your car? Have seen you on these pages in years!

10. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    Hello! yes I still have my car! but I do very little of my own work on it nowadays since I moved into an apartment.

How have you been? We should catch up for drinks someday!

11. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I have 82 308 gtbi did same thing only my car sh#t it self on a rail crossing , i have now removed to wires for fuel pump on fusebox and put in a inline fuse ,not been able to do full on road testing (due to loss of dr/lic) but seems to be ok or you can replace fuseblock (birdman on fchat makes them up ) rizzo

12. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    Seems like most clues point to electrical problem! I will try in that direction. I just lost my dr/lic too! But fortunately, they are putting me on a course, and if I pass they might reconsider, and in the time being I still can drive. How do you get yr dr/lic back? Here I am being suspended for 3 months. Trust the police to put a 50km/hr limit on a 5 lanes road!

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    mine did that once, the fuse box was fried

14. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    In aust we have a demerit point system you get to 12 points kiss your lic goodbye for 3 months, when you they give it back you start with a clean lic the only + about losing it!! i get my lic back on monday cheers rizzo

15. kclow

kclow Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Singapore
    In Singapore we have the same system, but is 24 points in a year. I got 18 from driving at 108km/hr on a 5 lanes 50km/hr road with no traffic! Another 6 from parking on a no-stopping road, again 3 lanes wide, with near zero traffic at 2am in the morning! Sign. It must feel good to finally be able to drive again.

16. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    To have that car sitting in my garage not being able to take her out it,s painful, but that pain will fade, once again i will feel that passion and joy you get when you drive a Fcar i will have a lumb in the back of my throat as i start her up and drive her out!! all sorts of stuff will be wizzing around my head, the one thing that you can count on is i will have a smile on my face from ear to ear, and that feeling is PRICELESS!!! GOOD LUCK

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I will bet money that you have a flaky intermittant fusebox. The 308 fusebox is the weak link of the car and there are only two kinds of 308 fuseboxes:

Those that have left you stranded and those that will leave you standed....eventually.

Birdman