328GTS Sat for a month, Clutch gone? | FerrariChat

328GTS Sat for a month, Clutch gone?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Nationaltec, Oct 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Guys,

Car was sitting for almost a month, just returned home tonight and when I fired it up the clutch is gone! Car is normally driven regularly and ran perfectly with no previous symptoms..!!

Clutch seemed to have the same tension, but then again I've been driving a rental car for 14 days. Regardless, what the heck happened? Car had a Major 17 months ago.. No fluids on the ground, fired up great.

I'll take a look in the morning but I was curious of your opinions before I proceed...

Appreciate your help..
    Patrick
    86 GTS

2. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Check your clutch cable and see if it snapped, or perhaps the SD coastal salt air has stick the disc to the flywheel.

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As already mentioned there is a cable on the 328 not hydraulic cylinder, so even if there is an actuation problem you will not see leaks. What do you mean by gone ? does the pedal go to the floor without resistance ? can you get the car into gear ? please clarify.

4. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Is it that the clutch does not engage, or does not dis-engage?

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Ferris Bueler comes to mine. Who had access to your garage while you were out of town?

6. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    If the cable snapped, the pedal will be at the floor all the time (tensioning spring).

If it's that the clutch doesn't disengage, it's probably rusted, put it in 5th gear and rock the car forward and back to try and break it free.

7. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Yes, please clarify "gone". It doesn't sound like it's stolen... ;)

I'm going to guess you mean it won't disengage and that it's rusted tight.

If you can't rock it loose, will a 328 start in gear like my 308? Get the thing out to the street & start it up in 5th (that might be a challenge, too) then get it up to speed, then you've got to dance around on the pedals so you've got the clutch pedal depressed and you'll use both the gas and the brakes to strain the clutch and it might pop free. Driving like this may not be an option depending on where you live... ;)

8. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Mine has done this a couple times, especially when left after a damp journey.

As Mr Don 16th says you have to break it free by starting it in gear, parking on a slope, jamming the brakes on etc. If you're lucky it'll free up before the starter decides its had enough :)

9. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Guys appreciate the ideas! Never considered it could freeze up.... I'll try that this evening when I get home.. !

** Clutch pedal tension seems fine
    ** Clutch does not engage
    ** I'm not sure I can get into gear, it grinded gears on initial discovery and I stopped there.
    ** The Car was stored outside the garage during some construction, but it did have a car cover on.
    ** Clutch cable was replaced Mar 04 @ major

My house is on a hill with a long driveway, So there no way of turning back if it fails. Then it's (AAA) time.. I'll try the rocking method first...

Question: So I can assume when you store the vehicle you SHOULD NOT leave it in gear? Becasue I'm pretty sure I left it in-gear when I left town.

Thanks for your help everyone !! Maybe this was a simple San Diego moisture issue... Hopefully!

I'll try this tonight when I get home and let you guys know...

Patrick

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    So the clutch does not DISengage...!
    It certainly sounds like the clutch disk has rusted itself to the pressure plate/flywheel. And that long downhill driveway is a gift! ;)

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The old rusty flywheel thing. If all else fails, hit it with a hammer. Carefully!

Ken

12. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Here is how I fix this.
    1 Warm up the motor for a few minutes.
    2 Start the car in 1st gear with the starter motor (make sure the car is facing OUT of the garage)
    3 Hold the clutch on the floor, and drive the car.
    4 Accelerate and Decel until the cluch pops free.

Please note that is is best done on EMPTY roads, not an urban environment.

Tihs procedure is for entertainment purposes only - use at your own risk.

13. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Awesome guys, thanks!!

Tried rocking the car in fifth gear, NO GO...

Took "Fred2" advise and finally broke it free..

Details:
    1. Warmed the car up for 15 minutes
    2. Started the car in first gear clutch pedal down ( pointed down my long driveway )
    3. Still didnt break-free, drove down a hill did a U-turn and while coming up the hill I kept pumping the clutch while making it buck... Bingo...!!! Broke -Free...

Thanks guys...I was going to call AAA for a tow but checked F-Chat first...

Glad I did ....

I think I'll leave the car out of gear during long periods of non-use...!!

Car ran fantastic all day !!

Thanks everyone...!
    Patrick

14. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Cool!

Glad it worked, you owe me a beer :)

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    now we can fix it, how can we prevent it?

16. black&tan328

black&tan328 Rookie

May 13, 2004
    Leaving the car in or out of gear while it's garaged won't prevent this problem. When the clutch is not disengaged via the pedal, the pressure plate clamps the disc to the flywheel whether the car is in or out of gear.

17. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Blackandtan is exactly correct - doesn't make a difference if the car is left in gear or not as that does not affect the relationship of the pressure plate to the flywheel.

Best thing to do is a) not leave the car is a damp environment, and b) start the car and take it for a drive (get it up to full op. temp) once in a while.

18. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Good to hear it worked out.

Reminds me of a story my dad, who was into the hot rodding scene when younger, once told me about convincing a friend to grease a clutch before putting it in. I bet it wouldn't rust then.

I've never had it happen to me, but putting a 110v dehumidifier in there would prevent it I'd say. I have one of the plug-in-the-wall types sitting in my garage; run it all spring, summer, and fall (in the winter it just runs dry so no point). In the spring/summer I empty it everyday, now in the fall, maybe every 2-3 days. Nothing ever rusts (including the various engine, etc. parts I always have lying around on the work bench).

19. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Washed the engine compartment lately ?