Cool FerrariChat.com site statisitics... | FerrariChat

Cool FerrariChat.com site statisitics...

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by rob lay, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Making sure everyone knew about some cool statistics everyone has access to.

For example, below is a map of Europe that locates if any of the last 100 visits came from this area. You can mouse over each one to see what town they are from. It only looks at the last 100 visits from the entire World, so what you'll see is only from Europe. I just took a screen shot and in the UK right now people are on FerrariChat.com from the following towns...

London
    Longcross
    Winchester
    Gloucester
    Sleightholme
    Rochdale
    Sunderland
    Bradley
    Longnor
    Lyndhurst
    Balham

Pretty cool, you can see these stats among many others by clicking on the counter in bottom left corner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #2 rob lay, Nov 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    More cool stats.

How many users newly registered each day past couple weeks. More past week than previous couple weeks...

October 15, 2005 27
    October 16, 2005 26
    October 17, 2005 37
    October 18, 2005 34
    October 19, 2005 29
    October 20, 2005 34
    October 21, 2005 32
    October 22, 2005 32
    October 23, 2005 27
    October 24, 2005 48
    October 25, 2005 52
    October 26, 2005 54
    October 27, 2005 42
    October 28, 2005 29
    October 29, 2005 32
    October 30, 2005 25
    October 31, 2005 42

How many registered users were active each day on FerrariChat.com...

October 15, 2005 2886
    October 16, 2005 2964
    October 17, 2005 3612
    October 18, 2005 3617
    October 19, 2005 3591
    October 20, 2005 3503
    October 21, 2005 3376
    October 22, 2005 2864
    October 23, 2005 3086
    October 24, 2005 3616
    October 25, 2005 3565
    October 26, 2005 3625
    October 27, 2005 3583
    October 28, 2005 3411
    October 29, 2005 2855
    October 30, 2005 3153
    October 31, 2005 3681

Charts below show daily unique user visits...

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Presumably although they are posted here these are actually global stats

Out of interest can today's stats be broken down into UK and not UK for the past fortnight ?

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Only look at global stats, except for the "Last 100 Visits" map.

5. Bielzebub

Bielzebub Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 30, 2005
    Gerrards Cross
    Full Name:
    Reginald W P Smythe

Wow! Excellent stats. Well done to Rob and FChat! Looks like your cleanup to get rid of the bad users worked and has brought this section alive.

Looks like the UK section is actually busier than ever. I'm actually proud to be a part of it now :)

Until I read the statistics I had actually wrongly believed the UK section had gone dead quiet. (I've been reading here for ages but not posted until this week.)

It's a MUCH nicer place here now :)

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think you are mostly right ;), although we do have many good new users posting, it is obvious our overall post count is down this week. Within weeks post counts should approach normal as good new users are welcome and join long-time active users that truly appreciate FerrariChat.com and want to be a positive user of our community.

From the stats you can just see this impact has been insignificant on the overall community. Although the current amount of activity is what users experienced a couple years ago normally, without making statements about quality vs. quantity I know many are anxious for the recent activity to return minus a few trouble makers. :)

7. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    that's a relief, rob .... i was beginning to think "bielzebub" was actually you.
    i too am glad the trouble makers have gone.
    cheers, d

8. Bielzebub

Bielzebub Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 30, 2005
    Gerrards Cross
    Full Name:
    Reginald W P Smythe

Just saw that, and I've got to say it, you sure do walk the talk. I can see why you Americans "kick butt" (to use your rather quaint expression) whether it's online or in the middle East.

I agree though, and I think the UK section feels pretty lively now. Lots of "quality" as you say :)

Reginald

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    come on "rob" own up .... you only joined yesterday !
    cheers, d

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is of course meant to be funny, but maybe we're getting into the British vs. American humor subject again. I am tough, I do make tough decisions, and if someone is fighting me, I fight back.

Where this goes wrong of course is users that think I'm doing it for no reason or sport. Why in my right mind would I want to run off a few dozen users for no reason? A couple users yes for reason, but I wasn't fighting the entire UK section. I was taking care of business and doing what I've always thought is right for the community. What would FerrariChat.com be like if we didn't ban any users? You don't know because they are gone and you take it for granted. I will make tough hard decisions to keep FerrariChat.com full throttle. My tough decisions of the past are why FerrariChat.com is where it is today. I do make mistakes and welcome your feedback properly through email or PM's. I'm professional and a nice guy if approached in that same way.

The following is example of what we're cleaning FerrariChat.com of. I hope you appreciate because I know you don't want to be compared to this class of person.

To all the good and positive Ferrari Enthusiasts of the UK… Welcome! We appreciate you being here and will keep the hoodlums out. :)

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think Bielzebub actually has a hint of sarcasm, am I the only one that has picked up on this?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is actually one of your compatriots :)...

Help IP Address Search for IP Address: "81.110.139.241"

81.110.139.241 : qn81-110-139-241.quickanet.net

Post IP Addresses
    Bielzebub 81.110.139.241 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
    Jas 81.110.139.241 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]

13. londra_avvocatessa

BANNED

Nov 2, 2005
    West London
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hello everyone.

My name is Anthony and I have been a reader of ferrarichat for roughly 2 years and have never really felt compelled to post, for many reasons that I don’t want to go into, but none of them are for reasons to do with any UK member since I have been reading.

I can see that this being my first post would suggest that foul play maybe afoot, but I assure you this is genuine and you guys who know what your doing with computers may track my IP and you’ll see that it will not match to any other current or previous F-Chat members. I live and work in West London, that’s where my IP will come from.

The goings on recently have been very poor. Common sense has not prevailed and ego’s and pride have lead to the demise of the UK section of this site. The UK section, since I have been reading, has been the most energetic, friendly and event focused section there is on F-Chat by some considerable margin. For me this really comes down to the fact the UK is so small compared to other nations on F-Chat, more people are able to attend meets and get to know one another. There are events that go the length and width of the country and it really is (was) fabulous to see and sometimes I would find myself getting a little envious of the time some of the guys have to enjoy their cars and create new friends.

I find it very hard to see why anyone would have a problem seeing that because of this there wouldn’t be a small ‘in’ group within the UK section of those people who attend more meets than others, therefore post more than others and know each other better than others. To find this as a barrier for anyone to post on the site is simply unbelievable. In fact it should be the exact opposite, people should see that these guys are easy to get on with, helpful and are extremely passionate about all things Ferrari. I suggest some of you read back through the posts when people have introduced themselves as a new member and been welcomed by 20-30 regular members.

Yes a lot of the time there is awful lot garbage to go through before you find the Ferrari related threads, but as has been stated many times before, if everyone was going to post Ferrari related items all the time, then the site would become mundane and I doubt many people would use it. Can someone tell me of a section on the site that deals in Ferrari related items 100% of the time, no, why?

The guys on the site who have been banned are the guys who make the UK section what it is. They are the ones who organise the meets, the Le Mans trips, the factory tours, the calendar shoots and the list can go on. That to me is what being part of a Ferrari community would be all about, camaraderie. So although they push the barriers sometimes, I think a little common sense should prevail.

Rob, you are in a very difficult situation and I don’t envy you, but in my opinion you are making it much worse for yourself. The UK moderators are in place to moderate the UK section as they are the best people to do exactly that, (please tell me if im wrong). They know the people, they know the culture, they know when it’s a joke and when its not and are able to make a more rounded decisions on bannings and foul play. Why are you not allowing them to moderate in this manner? You have built a truly superb multi-cultural site here and for just that reason having one all powerful person making decisions in every section on the site is just plain wrong. My company has offices in 5 different countries, I wouldn’t dream of going to Hong Kong and telling my MD there how to run that section or manage his staff as I know nothing about the culture, the mentality of the people and I would make a balls of it. That’s why I have an MD there, that’s why you have UK moderators, let them do their job.

You have several times come into the UK section like a bull in a China shop, insulted many users, the UK people in general and used some words that beggar belief and I found incredibly offensive, I won’t repeat them. Then you seem to take the moral high ground and think you are less to blame than anyone. You are as much to blame as any of the banned members, more so in some case.

I take the e-mail I have just seen by 360stimo as an example. The e-mail he sent, in my opinion, is out of order and something I wouldn’t want to associate myself with. However that was a private e-mail to you and you only. You have now posted this private e-mail on the UK section, in a way airing you dirty laundry, as we say in the UK. How on earth is that going to help the UK community? All it could possible do is damage it further. The fact you have posted his name, business address and private telephone numbers is a complete disgrace and shows a complete lack of common sense. If you had done that to me, then I would be taking legal action against you. As an owner and senior administrator of such a huge website you have responsibilities and you have totally neglected these and abused your powers. You are just as bad as he is.

May I refer you to rule 1 of your rules;

You are not allowed to; (abbreviated for the sake of time)

1) transmit any message, information, data, text or other materials (“content”) that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, vulgar, obscene, libellous, that may be invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable’

You have broken the rules you say you are trying to rigidly enforce? So why should you still be allowed to post and ban others? I am not condoning the message sent to you, it was vile, but why should I have had to read it? It’s nothing to do with me or anyone else on F-Chat.

You also have a responsibility to those members who have signed up for subscription, and this is where you really can land yourself in legal problems. I recall recently you posted a message saying that if anyone didn’t agree with you, then they should speak up and you would delete their profile. Obviously there were a few who believe in freedom of speech and told you they didn’t agree with you. You deleted them. If they are paid up members and you have deleted them because they ‘didn’t agree with your views’ you are libel and could face compensation and damages claims. Very very minor stuff, hardly worth the bother, but if you have people with a grudge against you, then im sure you know what could happen and the inconvenience and damage it could cause to your site.

Rob, im not against you. You haven't endeered yourself to me by posting things about UK people etc but i do believe you are trying to build a website that is open to all and fair to all. But your far too aggresive and too quick to jump on the high horse of 'this is my website and do what i say not as i do'
    Not working.

I suggest bridges are built quickly. You make some public apologies and in turn the UK users in question do that same. You make right what has been damaged and try to restore your reputation on UK car forums, (this has gone a lot further than F-Chat).

You bring out the worst in the UK regulars and in turn they bring out the worst in you. The less the two parties have to do with each other, the more succesful the UK section will be.

I think there are two choices for everyone concerned here;

The site continues as it is, the regulars stay away, form their own site to the further demise of the UK section. Less events will happen, less trips and less friends will be made. Those who do use the site will know that it is owned by a guy in America who rules it as he please's and doesnt really care about the users as long as he gets his way.

Everyone kisses and makes up, everything is forgotten and put down to the past. Measures are taken so that this type of aggresive moderation doesnt occur again. Then i think the users will come back and the UK section will once again be the best part of Ferrari Chat.

Its your site Rob, but the guy who throws his weight around and abuses his powers is not the bigger man, i can assure you of that.

Please let common sense prevail.

Anthony

(i hope i UK guys dont mind me speaking up, but i find it a shame and i really do enjoy reading it when i get a min, although the breakfast pic was starting to annoy me).

14. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Hi Anthony

Welcome to the forum and a superb first post. You really have captured the heart of the issue and I hope that both Rob and the "old timers from the site" take the message on board. Unfortunately a lot of damage appears to have been done and there is a real determination to develop an alternative to f-chat. I have many friends on both the old site and the new site (I hope) and will continue to frequent both and hope that some normality will return in the future.

regards
    james

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Anthony, good post for the most part, I want to correct a few things.

There are only two users from the UK that remain on ban. After a few days rest, I reached out to steve, but have not heard back from him yet. lockyer's ban ends within 24 hours.

Chris was permanently banned for obvious reasons. There wouldn't be those obvious reasons if I didn't post that. He was banned and said to me himself he is glad that everyone can see how he feels.

I have no legal liability or obligation considering subscriptions. However, just because it is the right thing to do I add to the end of any subscriptions the length of ban. When I was asking for users to be removed, this would be voluntary on their part, that's why I asked. I didn't delete anyone that didn't ask to be deleted.

Ultimately FerrariChat.com is my responsibility legally and financially. If users don't like the way I conduct the community then I'm not keeping you from leaving. I think there really is a market for a Ferrari related site in the UK that is lawless and maybe attracts the personalities you want. FerrariChat.com will not be that place and will instead attract the gentleman true Ferrari enthusiasts. Whether that is a smaller percentage of the UK market, it doesn't matter to me. It is the only type of FerrariChat user I want here.

Again, if you are passionate about Ferraris, a true gentleman, and want to be positive about FerrariChat.com... then welcome! We're glad you are here. The hoodlums and bar brawlers will make up the other lawless communities.

16. londra_avvocatessa

BANNED

Nov 2, 2005
    West London
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Rob,

thank you for the response. I urge you to check your legal stance again, your terms and conditions does not protect you from certain situatons and i can professionally assure you, where any form of monies is paid for a service and that service has been denied through 'irregular activities' you are very much libel. Please check with your advisor again.

I find your reply somewhat inadequate and fail to see where you address the main points of concern. However what has been made emphatically clear to everyone is that this is your site, you run it and you make the decisions, no matter what.

Rob, as said before, i am not against you but i do find you very hypocritical. You say you would like 'gentleman' only on your site, but i would have to put it to you that you have not behaved in anway shape or form like a 'gentleman' through out this hole deplorable affair. You have at one stage resorted to insulting people on the forum and the UK in general. I can only deduce that the definition of the word 'gentleman' in the US is very different. Having lived in America for 4 years i didnt think this was the case.

Its seems that things have gone too far for a reconciliation between yourself and the group of UK regulars (as a whole).

So i do wish you the very best for the future of this site. As i have stated before, its a wonderful site. You will certainly not have to moderate the UK section anymore and i will have to find a new forum to 'read'

Thank you

Anthony

17. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Rob even die hards like me are having a very hard time with your continuing attitude. Your continued assertion that the other communities are made up of hoodlums and bar brawlers beggars belief. I know many of those folks personally and it is simply not true ! Everything in your note is I I I and whilst it is true that you own the site you need membership to make it work. I strongly suspect that the UK forum will grind to a halt and perhaps you will be happy. I am passionate about Ferraris, a true gentleman, and want to be positive about FerrariChat.com... I don't currently feel that this is a welcome place to be.

rgds
    James

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Chalk it up to communication or cultural gaps, but I was not attacking all the UK users. There were just a handful of users that believed they could operate outside of acceptable behavior and that I should have no control over them within the bounds of FerrariChat.com. Fact is that isn't true and I proved it, so that upset them. Unfortunate part is that other UK users interpreted my battle with this handful of users as a battle with all the UK users. If other users want to volunteer themselves to a group of jerks, hoodlums, and *******s, then that is their choice. From my perspective I'm not and I'm sorry if that was your perception. I truly believe most of the UK users to be true Ferrari enthusiasts and gentleman.

19. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Strange how you see it one way - or should I say your way, and most (please insert your latest derogatory term for the UK Fchatters here Rob) see it completely differently. Does that NOT tell you something??????

*Cue Elton John music* - Have you ever managed to apologise for anything you have done wrong in your whole life ?

Who knows if there is any chance of repairing the bridges you have burnt in the UK - but one thing I know for certain if you continue, with the attitude of theres only two ways - my way or the highway - then all there will be between the UK and the USA, is a large empty void - with a sign 'Built and Demolished by my own arrogance' R.Lay

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not saying all of the users at those other sites hoodlums and bar brawlers. However, I am saying we have moved a few from here to there and that is good. There are other sites that will welcome their behavior and I'm appreciative. That won't be accepted here.

You are 100% the type of user we want here on FerrariChat.com. I think your feelings are obviously similar to many of the other users here and I know that is the result of misunderstandings. I really wish you and other users would talk to me offline as I know we could work through this. Maybe users are afraid to contact me offline because they want to be mad a little longer, that is fine. I will give you your space.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm all ears. My email and PM has been available since the first day, but very few users have taken me up on my offer to discuss this one on one. What are you afraid of? I make mistakes, please give me feedback and tell me where I'm wrong. Attacking me in public is not the proper way to do this. 400SPYDER, I expect a PM from you. Thanks.

22. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    You had one right at the beginning of this debacle - care to apologise for forgetting ?

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know you sent me a PM, but I'm talking in general users are not handling this through the proper channels. If you still have issues, why haven't you continued to PM and respond to my replies?

Please tell me how otherwise we'll work this out?

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm off to lunch now, but if there is any perception I'm not open to feedback and ideas, that is wrong. Please send me your ideas about improving FerrariChat.com or even the UK section specifically. I may not agree, but will always listen and have valid reasons if I do disagree. Many of the things you see on FerrariChat.com were the direct result of feedback received from users.

Thanks,
    rob

25. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    I guess up until now I thought that my first PM should have been enough - the apparent lack of any credible apology to stevef after I wrote this :-

'Always remember it takes a big man to apologise publicly when they make mistakes - any man can hide behind duplicitous words,'

seemed like a clear indication that you weren't listening to me - or the other UK Fchatters.

Is it so bad that we can't discuss this openly ? - I know you have issues about being able to respond quickly enough to open posts - but if you state that you will close a thread temporarily every half an hour or so between (your normal work hours) - I am sure this would encourage more debate and feedback