Michelin Whining | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Michelin Whining

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by joker57676, Oct 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP

Probably, maybe, no, yes, no... when you make up your mind.. let us all know.

The point is that Michelin does not pay for the rule changes. All the costs and burden of development is shifted on to the fans. So Michelin has no right to complain!

IT IS THE FANS THAT PAY! NOT MICHELIN!

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    So you're 100% sure that the increase in costs is directly paid for by fans? Not from profits from sales of tires? Not everyone who buys a tire from Michelin is a fan of F1. Heck, the vast majority aren't. I would say the costs are either eaten by Michelin in the form of using retained earnings, selling stocks, sellings bonds, or increasing the purchase price of tires that wholesalers and distributors buy.

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    A few posts ago, I mentioned that it is the fans that pay dircetly or indircelty as a result of the changes in rules by the FIA. The fans pay more to support the R & D.

However, you have a valid arguement when stating that CUSTOMERS of Michelin also PAY for the incresed purchase price of the tires.

In the end my point is that Michelin does not foot the bill. They have no reason to complain. In the end the Michelin Stakeholders foot the bill...

The stakeholders consist of... Michelin F1 fans, Michelin shareholders, Michelin employees, Michelin's creditors, Michelins trade distributors and wholesalers. The fact that Michelin whines and complains about every single thing is beyond pathetic.

Bridgestone on the other hand accepts the rules of the game and moves on to the job at hand!

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

So Michelin pays nothing, they call up all thier fans and say hey listen we need some more money because well you know they changed the rules on us again so we need more and we of course can't pay for it so cut us a check so we can go race. Interesting theory, let me know when you get back from bizzaro world. Like a stated before, Bridgestone got thier asses kicked with the 05 rules so they were probably thrilled to have them changed. Point blank. Don't gimme that crap about them being so wonderful to not be complaining because they are just oh so classy. Ferrari never complains about anything and neither does Bridgestone because it's usually in thier favor. Whether the data is usefull or not is besides the point. In the end The fans AND Michelin pay. Whether dircetly or indirectly.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Actually it depends on the elasticity of demand for who pays more when a cost (think of it as a tax) is put in. When demand is very inelastic (like cigarettes or gasoline), a new tax (or cost) will be placed mostly on the customer. For more elastic demand, the producer pays the tax (cost) more. The cost is shared between both Michelin and customers for their case because Michelin isn't the only supplier of tires in the world with little substitutes (inelastic demand), but there are some competitiors (more elastic).

6. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    An economist would agree with you 100%. But a businessman would simply state that his goal is to shift the entire burden on to the consumer.

Michelin is a business... and their goal is to shift the burden of the costs on to the fans and their other stakeolders. Whether or not Michelin a capable of shifting the burnden is entirely another discussion! :)

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I know...so then why were you claiming Michelin doesn't incur new costs (all of it) if you now just said we don't know if they can shift all of it??? :confused:

I'm referring to this quote:

You said the stakeholders "foot the bill." Meaning they pay the bill (all of it).

8. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    As to be expected Luca Montezemolo has welcomed the decision to re-introduce tyre changes in 2006, claiming it will put the emphases back on the drivers' ability.
    During last season's Championship, tyre changes were banned, which, according to Montezemolo, meant the drivers weren't able to push the limits for fear of suffering tyre failures.

However, in 2006 tyre changes will once again be allowed during grands prix, a decision that the Ferrari President has praised.

"This is a good move as they (tyres) had become too important," he told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

"Being unable to change tyres made races more dangerous. The drivers were forced to drive like taxis over the closing laps."

"It is right to give the tyres some degree of importance but not to transform the Championship into a tyre Championship."

"The drivers, cars and engines should make the difference not the tyres."

Translation - We got out heinys spanked, please change the rules.

www.planetf1.com

Any other questions as to why Bridgestone is NOT complaining? Proof enough for you, Impy?

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I guess Luca was too busy putting together the World Cup for Italy when the Turbo Cars had to run on 220 Liters of Fuel, hence conserving gas. Let me tell you it is always convenient to change the rules when your on the receiving end of the game.

10. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

You said it, Tony
    They have been doing this for years. They are behind the ban on berillyium and the McLaren brake steer deal after it had been approved by the FIA.

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    The berillyium was a joke and the Third Brake was even worse. Hell I remember when they banned Colin Chapman's twin Chassis Lotus 88. That is my only problem with Ferrari, the FIA levels the Playing Field for them. Of course now everyone is going to start with how the FIA has changed the rules for the last few years due to Ferrari's dominance. But than again when you have the biggest budget, one number one driver and a second driver who is there to support the Number One driver, your own Tire Manufacturer what do you expect?

12. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Remember that stakeholders consist of Michelin owners (shareholders)...

The point is to quit the complaining and get on with the task at hand without wasting everyones time. An unethical company such as Michelin is not capable of doing that!

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

I think they only changed the rule to make it a little closer. This was only because ratings were down and people didn't wanna see MS and Ferrari win again(besides impy). I doubt the FIA expected that Ferrari would get pimp slapped or they wouldn't have done it.

14. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Michelin makes that pacifier you suckle on. Be thankful.

15. tylerblue

tylerblue Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Tyler Blue
    imperial83, i would appreciate it if you would LAY OFF THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON.