Steve & Rob "Public Discussion" Thread... | FerrariChat

Steve & Rob "Public Discussion" Thread...

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by rob lay, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I requested to others and to Steve by email I wanted to start discussions. I have yet to hear from Steve, but Steve has agreed to have discussions if in public.

I have agreed to this, unbanned Steve, and created this thread for our public discussion.

I think Steve, I, and others should agree to some ground rules…

1. This thread is only meant to discuss our personal issues. Other users shouldn't get involved.
    2. This conversation is personal and should be held to personal conversation standards, not public standard rules of FerrariChat.com.
    3. Steve is unbanned just to participate in this thread, as I've said, hopefully things are worked out and we move on. If not, Steve may still be subject to continue his predefined ban.

Agree Steve to the above or anything you would like to add? I will make the first post shortly.

Thanks,
    rob

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Steve, this is the post I took the action of banning you for from the Other Off Topic forum…

Am I really 100% wrong thinking this is an attack on me? Am I 100% missing something because this is British humor or culture related?

I'm really not concerned as much with the shallowness of those words, but I am completely interested in the root motivation for why you would say that?

Do you have a problem with me? Do you have a problem with FerrariChat.com? This is "normal"? I have 15,000 posts and every post has been rude? Then you implicate the "uk", so do they all have a problem with me and FerrariChat.com?

Almost any user I could have let this pass, but you have a history of bannings and negativity directed towards me and FerrariChat.com. I simply want to understand the "root motivation" and one of two things can happen…

1) You really don't have any problems with me or FerrariChat.com or the problems you do have we can talk out our differences and move on without this negativity appearing again.

2) You have problems with me or FerrariChat.com that can't be resolved, which means I don't want you here as a non-positive member of our community.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    #3 steve f, Nov 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all

This is between me and rob lay to sort this out i dont want or need anybody else to comment in here on my behalf thank you
    I dont think it will be sorted out in a day as of the time difference between the two countrys as there is a few issues to sort out on here just thought i would post this then you would know that i will be responding to this thread i am off to bed now and will respond in the morning after a nice big english breakfast

picture attached
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Have a good night honey, we'll speak tomorrow. If you keep posting that picture, you'll pass Maranelloman and his "I'd Hit It" pics for number of duplicate postings. :)

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    morning brrrp lovely breakfastl

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    dr strangeloves post

Pm does not work for me as my Rossa ended, so I was way way way over my PM limit. I do not have your email and was flustered and did not look for it. As you have said that other's have had the same problem I am confused as to why you decided to be short, if not down right rude with me. (I even wrote in the first post that I cant pm.) Seriously bro, why be rude??
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    well rob this is what started it of for me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve f
    dont worry this is normal for rob we noticed this in the uk he is short and rude i think its the texan way remember the alamo

Jeez, you haven't left already? How many times have you promised to leave? I'll do it for you if you aren't strong enough to resist FerrariChat yourself.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There was no warning or nothing i could not log on to fchat said i was banned for 2 months with no reason all i was trying to do was to make a joke and soften up your responce to dr strangelove

as for the alamo this was a joke that we had had on a previous thread that you thought was funny will find it if you cant remember

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    1 if anybody else gets involved or posts on this thread to back either me or you i agree to them being banned

2 this will be a grown up conversation between me an you but if any threads are removed for your benefit or altered i will not respond any more there will be no name calling or slagging off from me !!! nor [ punchuation full stops or commas] so its tough poo if you get breathless reading my responses

3 as i am unbanned temporary till this is sorted or not i will not post on the uk section till its sorted or i am banned for ever but there is a few posts on the technical section that i can help with as i read it last night but didnt post till i asked if it was ok by you ??????????????? so can i respond or not to them???

ps how do you do them double quotes from seperate threads as i have had to put a line across as i dont know how to make them darker

I await your response

steve f

proper ferrari's have 12 cylinders in the rear

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just woke up and will address your first post later this morning. As far as the above we're in agreement, at this point banning someone would be a last resort unless they just purposely hijack the thread.

The quote command is to surround the text with [quo te] and [/quo te] minus the space after quo. An easy way to do it is hit the quote button bottom right and they copy that text or break it up how you want adding more quote tags to your reply.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    While you might get bored waiting for my response. Can you talk about your intent behind this post that ylshih pointed out...

9. LeeP

LeeP Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    LeeP
    Dear Rob et Steve

I am sorry to "butt-in" on this thread - however it has come to my attention that Steve's posts are being dragged up from the past when they should not. If there was a problem at the point of post then it should have been brought up. One of the biggest problems of an online community (I say that very loosley as here in the UK section it's more of a community - or excommunity now) is that you lose or don't understand the personal touch.

Steve is a big opposer to the FOC because of the payment side of things. As good as the FOC is and how much poor old Sandra tries to pull Steve towards the "grass on the other side of the fence" he will not go.

Steve is nothing more than a joker and by reading all of his posts you will probably see that coming through. F Chat UK Section has been getting worse recently - I say that as we are encouraged to talk 24/7 about Ferrari's and all things Italian. It's not like that anymore! We are a wall of friends - no, a circle of friends who talk about anything. Steve came home from a hard days work one day and found nothing but O/T posts, rubbish about Renault Dealers and then an article about some of the southern guys who went around London "posing". Nothing wrong with this - it's just not how Steve is. He would rather go out and drive his car around Scotland. Fine.

Why all the personal attacks all of a sudden? Why is it that Steve couldnt be taken for who he is? No good trying to sway him now - the damage has been done so to speak. You've done yourself no favours.

Ban me if you like for posting this - I really don't care. But to publicly humiliate Steve by bringing all of his bad points out .... to make it look like you're doing him a favour ... get over yourself.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I understand and we can minimize bringing up past posts. However, my point is that in isolation Steve's post wouldn't deserve a ban. What got him banned was a pattern of behavior and past posts can show that, how many times he had been warned before, how many times he had been banned before, how many times he had attacked me before. I will avoid posting those if everyone recognizes that my attitude towards both Dr. Strangelove and Steve were at the end of an accumulation.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Most users, especially long time users like Dr. S clearly know you can contact me offline by PM, email, or the "Contact Us" dropdown at the bottom of the page. Dr. S was "certain" I had ripped him off of his "5 year" subscription and purposely posted it in public to draw negative attention vs. working with me offline. I told him it is possible I make mistakes, but after researching I showed him where he paid for the "1 year" subscription. There has been similar behaviors by Dr. S in the past, so I was a little weary. I admit to crossing the line a little with Dr. S and I should have been more professional, but think about the quality of our community if I allowed behavior like this and worse to go untempered.

The new upgrade emails you a reason and notification of your ban. If you didn't receive it, then your account email is wrong or you have a filter that is blocking the emails.

Root driver for my "unprofessional" response was months of previous problems/bannings/warnings and especially your declarations in the past to leave FerrariChat.com. I was basically fed up with the false threats of leaving and your attacks, so "why don't you just leave?".

Of course now 2 weeks later in hindsight a better banning notification would have been…

How would you have responded to that Steve?

12. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    please check up as i have never been banned from fchat i have never attacked you before but yes we have had a heated discussion before where your reply always ends in i am right you are wrong if you dont agree you can leave fchat or be banned its your choice

well the problem must be at your end as i got the email that my subscription had expired 6 days before this happened and i have no filters at this end

i would of responded to that and explained my view but why bring this up as this didnt happen and was not sent so why bring this up

as for my negative attitude towards fchat i dont know where you see this i go on nearly every fchat event like 2000 miles round scotland having pictures done for 3 newspapers and promoting ferrarichat.com and having our own t/shirts made

13. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    As said in my other post i want nobody else getting involved in this so you can ban lee p for me as he can read what i posted

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we've had enough bans for this week. :)

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    For my own lesson learned I wanted to see your response to the rephrasing.

OK, I will give you that. However, now lets talk about any personal issues you have with me?

16. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    dont have any personal issues with you as i have never met you or know you but i do know you have a great ferrari site but dont understand why you want to destroy it as when you go off on one there is absoutly no reasoning with you as you are right and dont listen to anybody even if they are on your side i think you should buy some of them stress ball things that you squash to relieve the tension and think before you charge in

i personally are a great believer in listening to others as you always learn something as nobody knows everything

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, now we're getting somewhere. Please give me advice how to handle 22,000 users when this is my "hobby" and not my career. Consider as a backdrop the efficiency I have to run FerrariChat.com because of my limited time and there always being a character or two out of 22,000 users that want to challenge the system or "play with the administrator" for sport?

I'm not saying I don't make mistakes and don't act unprofessionally, but how can I best manage micro situations when I'm responsible for the macro environment? I'll make it easy for you, is the answer I should leave all the micro stuff to the moderators?

18. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    advice is if you set somebody a job to do then let them do it dont jump in and take over and make there job 10 times more difficult for them different countrys have different cultures and if you aint from that country you wont know how they work
    if they are not doing the job right have a word with them as they are acting for you and you just undermine there confidence if i was stig and graham when all this kicked off i would of said its your baby sort it we are finished how would you feel if this was the other way round they was you and you was them ?????? just sit back and think i always look at things from both sides of the problem
    i only repeated what dr strangelove said and tried to make a joke of it for both of you did you ban him for saying what i said ?? the last time the alamo was mentioned you laughed at the comment and joked back

as for the comment that MANU at scuderia systems wanted every body banned well that just added fuel to the fire and caused manu a few problems

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The alamo part of your statement really didn't upset me that much this time either. Others assumed that. I had a distant family member die there, but that is more a point of interest than any emotion tied to it. I thought it was funny a Brit knew about or even brought up the alamo.

Nothing like miscommunication and especially misquoting "scuderia systems wanted every body banned". What was reposted here my Manu is exactly what happened. He described the situation as I remember it.

20. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    so can you explain what made you ban me if it was not the alamo comment and i was only repeating what the doc said to make a joke of your comment to him

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Simply a judgment call based on past experiences we've had with you, that this was a matter between Dr. S and I, and that we needed to have an offline talk. That all contributed to the ban. We could have talked 10 minutes after it happened and if you cleared a few things up your ban would have been over.

Now I know you never received the system generated email notification. I know it has worked with other user bans, but not your email for some reason.

22. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    there was a few other people that commented on the way you answered the doc if you care to look in that thread as iodont want to involve other posters from that thread but only me banned

the mods in the uk didnt even know that i was banned or what for can you explain why this happened thought you would of told them what you had done as its there area or patch what ever you want to call the uk section

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    All mods have access to the ban list and the reason. We also have a "Warnings and Ban" log in the moderator forum that I updated as soon as the action was taken.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very good Steve. I'm convinced you weren't out to get me or FerrariChat.com. That you had or have no negativity towards me or FerrariChat.com.

I believe I took the right action, but I will apologize to you personally for doing it in the wrong way. My first statement to you should have been...

For those that know you and within the UK forum where the British humor is understood I think you are fine. You should take some caution and respect those that don't know you or your humor.

I know your subscription had already expired, but I will add to it the length of your ban.

Please, if you feel any strain towards me or FerrariChat.com, before you post please consider talking with me offline and I'll do the same.

I'm over this, any future moderation will be done through the moderators.

Thank you,
    rob