Opinions on SVAG | FerrariChat

Opinions on SVAG

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by BoulderFCar, Nov 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Does anybody have impressions of Silcon Valley Auto Group? I called them today on a Maranello they have listed and had a pretty disjointed conversation. First, the car was high on ask price. Second, while it's a low mile car it's 6 years old and has not had a major. The answer to my concern was that the cars don't break and can go 10 years on the timing belts per their mechanics. Huh? I doubt that is the position when you trade.

At any rate, they have a couple of cars that fit what I'm looking for and I thought they had a good reputation. Should I write this interaction off and reload or is the best bet to avoid them?

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Waiting for redhead to chime in...

As an aside, I've always been treated nicely when I'm there, but not as a prospective buyer. Then again, I wasn't ever a prospective buyer for any of the cars I was looking at, so I guess fair's fair. The nicest salesman I've met down there is a guy named Ben (last name Gordon, maybe?) - try giving him a call. Nonetheless, I do check their website at least once a day - EVERY DAY - just to see what's new.

I always said that the day I buy my first Ferrari (if from a dealer), I'm gonna walk in wearing shorts and a plain shirt...maybe even sandals...whichever salesman treats me with respect will get my business that day. However, at SVAG, that approach probably wouldn't fly.

Anyway, best of luck with your search. You can also check out Ferrari of Silicon Valley - IIRC, they have a 550 for sale. Charlie was the salesman I spoke with up there, and he was extremely nice to talk with.

Aaron

3. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I am in the process of shopping for a 360 and have been treated very well by Matt Griffin. Very reasonable and up front sales person and would highly recommend him. I'm just waiting for the right color combo to come along. As for the pricing, I agree that they do run quite a bit higher than FoSV and FoSF but most of the cars I've seen are in tiptop condition.

4. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    I bought a 1999 360F1 from SVAG, asking price $129999, paid $115000 all service up to date 14,000 miles.You can get a good deal but you have to play the game with them. Jack Gordon is the older fellow and Ben is his son, Jack has been there since I was in high school! The 550 is very nice one owner car, on consignment. Jack told me the lowest they would go is $125,000, but you can make an offer and he would run it by the owner. Try it you never know, tell him Dan Carpenter sent you!!

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I think someone on the board is from there.

I've not heard a bad thing about them.

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I've always had good experiences visiting them. Kicked tires, test drove cars, etc; but never quite bought. I did have a deposit down on an Elise at one point, so they probably considered me more of a customer than a looker.

My one complaint is that they aren't shy about listing their cars 10-15% higher than "market". I guess that works to maximize profits from some of their clientele, the walk-in guy with IPO money that doesn't know where the market is. So don't be shy about making a market offer and sticking with it. Their cars aren't any better or cleaner than anyone else's, so get a PPI too. The comment about service and belts seems like typical salesman fluff - I guess I never take salesmen seriously on things like that. Just factor it into your offer.

Graham and Matt were the ones I dealt with and both were very nice. If I were in the market for one of their cars (Lotus, Lambo, AM, etc) I would definitely consider them. They also tend to have good selections of used Ferrari's even though they're no longer a dealer and their service department seems decent from the looks (visited, but never serviced a car there).

7. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I myself have been there a few times in my lifetime and I too have had occasional negative impressions, but not every time. At the end of the day I know that they are just trying to sell cars and make a living, like any car salesmen would. I think it's a little difficult separating the real potential customers from the tire kickers when you work at a high end store - I for one don't hold it against them.

In regards to the transaction - make them an offer, factoring in the major service - that way you know you're covered. If they dont take it, I guarantee you'll be able to find another Maranello in 6 months for less than you're offering now.

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Aye...."redhead".

9. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    ...yet somehow they've had new (i.e., "Delivery Miles") 612s and 430s (Coupe and Spyder)...go figure.

10. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I have chatted with Tom about this issue via PM.
    Thanks guys.

11. wonkazoo

wonkazoo Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    Woodside/RWC
    Full Name:
    David
    Is the outside of the box found under the bridge?? Or is that where you're going to saunter up to my guilty conscience and ask for my license and registration?? "Gee officer- I didn't know I was speeding!! Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me??"

Two thoughts: Every car dealer in the world is in business to make money. Followed by the classic epithet: "He's like a used car salesman."

Anyone ever heard the line: "He's like a catfood salesman!!" Didn't think so...

It may be a Ferrari, but it's still a car. If it has been owned by somebody else then it is a used car. Which will presumably be sold by a used car salesperson...

If it has been driven by Rich it is probably a used and broken car...

Cheers,
    dce

12. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    So, you ready for me to show you what your 328 can really do?

There is a lack of knowledge in regards to this particular saleperson, and that is something that will be changed. All of our Ebay sales, which this post is in regards too, are handled offsite, and not by any of the sales men previously mentioned.

408-354-4000-Showroom where Jack, his son Ben, Matthew, Graham, and Harry all work.

thanks again all for the kind words, minus DCE :)

R

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I'm guessing they've kept good relations with locals who were their customers when they were an official dealer. Now these locals get their cars through the current official dealers and flip them through SVAG. When I was there last in June, they just got a new 430 Spider and they were asking about $350K. There's plenty of $$$ to share and encourage flipping at those kinds of markups.

14. British Sea Power

Oct 19, 2005
    Bay Area CA
    I have always found them to be Courteuous and pleasant to deal with. I havent bought a car from there either but have always been treated like a potential buyer despite wearing jeans etc. I took a look at that Maranello a couple of weeks back and it was a very nice example.

I did get shouted at once for sitting in a Vanquish S that was left with doors wide open in the showroom (someone else had just been sitting in it) but It was a fair comment as the car was already sold :)

15. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I've bought two cars from them and have been very happy. Talk to Graham Pike; he's a good chap.

16. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I bought my 550 from them. They were nice enough but had to follow up a couple of times to get all the books. They also promised me another set of keys but when I went to the service department they couldn't program the remote/alarm and have been told the whole computer needs to be replaced. I don't know where the responsibility lies and haven't really followed up on it since I live 3 hours away. Part of the deal was also to get the leather covering the dash airbag redone....they did but the grain doesn't match. I will probably have to have the whole dash redone anyway since it is pulling away from the winshield area. But these are my only gripes with them. The car was nicely detailed and delieved for no charge to my home. I had bought a Testarossa from I believe the prior owners and had to wait 6 months to get the title when I had paid cash for the car. Someone later told me that there were some financial problems and they were shuffling things around to keep afloat...again, I think this was with the previous owner an not the present one. I had no financial issues with the 550 purchase.

17. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I bought a 360 Modena from Graham. I concur - he's a good guy and I would happily work with him again.

-steve