REACHED 195MPH ON THE AUTOBAHN! | FerrariChat

REACHED 195MPH ON THE AUTOBAHN!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by cheetah360, Nov 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheetah360

cheetah360 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    #1 cheetah360, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    REACHED 195MPH ON THE AUTOBAHN!

I went to Germany with my 2001 360 yesterday. There are a lot of sections that have no speed limit, HEAVEN!!! I wanted to try to reach the 360’s top speed, and I did so a few times.

Take a look at the attached pic, the speedometer was pretty much right on 195MPH, and RPM’s just around 8,500.

Here are some details.

First, and more importantly, where to go? I drove mostly on the A5 (major freeway that goes north-south on the Western part of Germany) between Basel and Frankfurt, and the A3 between Frankfurt and Koln. The friendly sign for no speed limit (NSL thereafter) is a white circle with 4 diagonal grey lines on it, nothing else. I think the NSL area started maybe 50 km south of Karlsruhe. There are numerous intermittent speed restrictions to either130, 120, 100 or even 80. The latter is for any bridge or suspended road. Remember that 130 is the “theoretical” speed limit, unless NSL is present. In other words, you might see signs that look like the NSL sign, but with a number, such as 80, 100 or 120 on it. This signals the end of whatever corresponding speed limit that had been set previously, but it means that the 130 limit still applies, unless, of course, if the beloved NSL sign appears.

I would say that from Basel to Koln, which is about 400km, there was more than 150km, maybe more, of NSL zone. Traffic is quite heavy, and I would not recommend driving faster than 160MPH on the two-lane (each direction) sections of the Autobahn, even in NSL zone. It leaves little room for drivers popping out of nowhere on the left lane. There are a lot of three lane sections, and corresponding NSL zones, between Karlsruhe and Frankfurt, and also between Frankfurt and Koln, on the A3 for the latter (not the A5). I WOULD RECOMMEND GOING FOR TOP SPEED ONLY IN THE THREE LANE SECTION, unless traffic is particularly light. I drove on a week day between 1PM and 6PM, on day one, and traffic was heavy. The next day, I drove from 10AM to 2PM, and it was slightly better. A far as driving really fast, you essentially get a few “clearings” of traffic randomly, whereby the left lane is straight and empty for about 1km ahead, and you just punch it. Definitely push the 5th to 8,500RPM (red zone on mine), then get the 6th to kick in and floor it. Don’t drive in 6th at 5,000RPM and expect the 6th to do the work, it will be too slow and you will lose you opportunity. The 5th at 8,500RPM is probably 160MPH (but I’m only going by memory, could be wrong by a few MPH), then it takes about 30 seconds for the 6th to get to top speed, which was about 195MPH on the display. I did not feel the car could go any faster, unless on a downhill, but I was on a flat straight strip on most of my attempts. I must have stayed at top speed for 15 seconds, then either the left lane became occupied (think of allowing some distance to break, 200MPH is pretty fast, and cars a km away get there really quickly), or a turn materialized. I did not feel comfortable taking any turn faster that 160MPH no matter what. Importantly, the car did fell very safe and stable at top speed, in a straight line. I had very little to do on the steering to keep it going straight, stability was excellent and I could focus on anticipating traffic and other unexpected actions from other drivers.

I would say that German drivers are very good. The left lane is fairly busy, with a lot of station-wagon Audi / BMW driving between 120-140MPH. Definitely leave your headlights on at all time. Once they see you, they usually give way, unless there are like 2-5 lorry trucks in the middle or right lane, in which case they only give way after they pass those. This is OK, because it is fairly predictable. I had no situations where a driver popped out of nowhere on the left lane that I could not anticipate (again, keep watching ahead at the middle or right lane to “predict” what cars might pop on the left lane, or when they might leave it and let you go.

So there you go. The other thing I found handy is that I had one passenger (my father), who was essentially telling me what speed limit signs were coming up. I could have read those myself, but it was better to focus on the driving, although it’s really not a big deal. I will always wonder if I would have broken 200RPM without him, as he weighs 115 kilos, but it’s not big deal.

Lastly, and surprisingly, I did not encounter one single sports car during the entire trip, or about 600 miles of freeway. No one to race with for fun.

I’m now moving back from London to the US (with my car), so I won’t have another opportunity to do this, but it was really worth it. I hope a few of you do the same, and I’m sure many already have, but I found it difficult to get any advice before going there on my own.
    I hope you will find this useful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Did your pulse or respiration seem to say "oh, my?"

3. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting stuff. Was it frightening? The fastest I've done is 160 in a Murcielago and I whimped out that point. It was snowing mind you:D

4. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice one!

5. Scuderia Sitar

May 18, 2005
    Wasn't it a bit scary taking the picture ! Presumably you had to take one hand off the wheel?

6. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    I'm guessing it was a left hooker and dad took the pic.

7. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    OK so you dont believe that I have an M3 but believe this guy to have done 195 - yes 195 in a 360? And I thought I was the mythical childrens book creature!

8. cheetah360

cheetah360 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    What's there not to believe? The car has no problem going to top speed and anybody can do it with a 360 on the Autobahn That's why I made the post, to help those like me who have been thinking about doing it for a while. Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's behind if some people don't believe it....
    It is indeed a LHD car, since I had brought it from the US when I moved to London. I'm moving back and taking the car with me. and yes, my passenger took the photo.
    As far as scary, not really, but you have to be careful and anticipate what other might do. When a guy pops in the left lane, you really have to push HARD on the brakes, and keep the car straight. The car does just fine and doesn't wiggle at all at 195MPH. I have a video as well, although kind of bumpy. Not sure if anyone is interested.

9. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    wow incredibale, good job man, didnt think the 360 could reach that high...and by the way im interested in that vid, post it somwheres so that i can see it...

10. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, would love to see the vid!

11. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Don’t think a standard car can. As has been discussed here loads in the past, Ferrari speedometers tend to overstate at high speed.
    But really it doesn’t matter if its 188 or 195, it’s really fast

Thanks for putting up the speed limit info, I’m sure I’ll try and put it to some use

12. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Get back under your rock !! We know you don't have an M3 ( or a ferrari )

Speedo's always overead , true top speed would be a little less. Still an exciting run !!

13. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I don't recollect the promised photo of the M3 ever appearing here. Have you not had a chance to get to the local BMW dealer yet?

14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    never driven at that speed, must have been a hell of a rush....very jealous!

15. 325Paul

325Paul Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Kent (Rochester) - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Thompson
    At Bruntingthorpe a week ago we got just over 190mph out of a 550 maranello and the gps data collected stated the actual speed was circa 177mph.

16. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Paul

I'd concur with your numbers although I only tested up to 140MPH, up to 70 it is 100% accurate, at 100 it's actually doing a real 95, at recorded 140 it was 130

17. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    Nice report! BTW, there is no general 130 km/h limit in Germany. It's only a recommendation and could be used in case of an accident to apportion partial blame. Sort of like 0,2 mg of alcohol. In itself not an offence, but in case of an accident it could be cited as alcohol influence. If you, for example, join another Autobahn at an interchange, you don't need a NSL sign to tell you its unlimited.

To be honest, I feel 'safer' in a Merc or Audi at speeds above 200 km/h than in my good old 348 ! (but I know what I'd rather have in the garage!)

18. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    At least when mine is doing 155 (and only because its limited) it is actually doing it!! Cant they even make a speedo!! HA HA HA

19. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    I drove an M5 and an F575M on the Autobahn.... the Ferrari was much better in terms of stability and way better when I needed to stand on the brakes for the occasional slow traffic getting in the way

20. Welshman

Welshman Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Worcestershire
    You are.