dex-cool coolant for 550 maranello | FerrariChat

dex-cool coolant for 550 maranello

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dersark_painclinic, Nov 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    why ferrari does not recommend Dex-cool silicate free coolant for ferrari cars,
    corrosioin free, long life, excellent for aluminum parts. If one of the reasons we should change the conventional coolant more often is for inhibitors, so dex-cool is the way to go for better protection. The only problem with dex-cool is you should not have trapped air since it will cause corrosion, otherwise it is a superior to the rest. It is not the isue of what color or what brand, GM invented this antifreeze, dont you think it is the best for alumunim parts. If you have a reason please explain it to me.

Thanks.

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Google Dexcool,

This is from just two sites,

Dexcool is a formulated antifreeze/coolant used in over thirty-four million vehicles sold by General Motors. Used by GM since 1996 in most car and light truck models, Dexcool is manufactured and distributed by ChevronTexaco, Equilon and ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants.
    Although Dexcool is marketed to last 5 years or 150,000 miles, consumers say the product is defective and damages vehicles. According to reports, Dexcool has been linked to corroded and clogged radiators and radiator caps, eroded water pumps, rotten radiator hoses, leaky cooling system gaskets, chronic overheating and engine damage.

If your car has been damaged because of Dexcool, it may be important for you to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.

DexCool in GM Engines

John of Conway PA writes Z(3/31/03):
    Since we purchased our 1996 Blazer used in 2000 from a Chevy Dealership, we have had nothing but coloant problems. We have taken the car into the shop at least 10 times for the same repairs. Problems we had were spiking of thermostat, overheating, smell of antifreeze in car, foggy windows caused from antifreeze vapors coming in car from defrosts.

When you look at the radiator it looks like slug or lava rock inside. We were told by the Chevy dealership that they could drain it and flush the system (acid) flush and we have had approx 5 of these performed in the last 2 years and continue to have this problem. In researchuing I found that the problem is caused by the dextrol coolant used in the car and this is apparently the only cooolant that can and is recommended to use. It is all we have used in this and all work to collant systems has been performed by our chevy dealership. I have also come to find out that we are not the only owners who are experieincing these same issues.

I have broken down on two separate occasions while out of town which required repairs/towing/extended overnight stays. Additionally we have had this car to the garage more than a dozen times for just this problem. The fumes from the smell of the antifreeze have given me headaches and nausea when I have had to drive for extended times. It is also a safety hazard as the windows fog so bad that I do not have clear vision from the car.

Most recently I had to take my car to be reparied while on a trip out of town which cost me $291.00 3/28/03. I traveled home aprox. 200 mies did not use car over weekend and when I got in car to drive today 3/31/03 had the same gauge spiking check engine overheating and smell of atifreeze problem. This is in less than 3 days after having car worked on.

Jeffrey of Edison NJ (3/5/03):
    At 78k miles, we experienced coolant leakage and failure of the intake manifold gasket on our 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Repair cost was over $900. It appears there is a problem in GM vehicles of this vintage, with possible correlation to the DexCool coolant which GM requires us to use in these vehicles.

Damage Resulting: Repair of cooling system in vehicle, at a cost of approximately $930, primarily labor charges, and replacement of intake manifold gasket, several other gaskets, and thermostat.

Brenda of Meridian ID writes (2/11/03):
    My 1999 Alero Oldsmobile started leaking what looked like oil. The leak came on very suddenly. I noticed a small spot under the car. I assumed it was oil gasket leaking and it was very small. Within a week it became a major leak. When I took it to the shop the mechanic said it was Dex-cool leaking from the manifold intake gasket. This is a known common problem, and it is way too early for my car to be experiencing this kind of a problem.

I am being told this will cost me $900. plus a few days without my car.

George of Hampstead MD writes (1/30/03):
    The correspondence below has been sent to the Maryland States Attorney's office and local TV stations - no reply from them yet. Below is GM's reply regarding the Dexcool used in many new vehicles.

As far as I'm concerned, when they state that its good for 5 years or 150,000 miles ... that's an implied warranty. My owners manual states ..."This coolant is designed to remain in your vehicle for 5 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, if you add .. only add DEX-COOL extended life coolant".

Not only are there many Maryland residents out there with this pending problem and repair costs ... I'll bet many of the Maryland state and local government vehicles are equipped with Dexcool too. Is there an implied warranty here? Is GM to big to fight? Thanks, George

Thank you for contacting the GMC Customer Assistance Center. We sincerely apologize for the coolant concerns you may be experiencing with your 2000 GMC Jimmy and 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. The DexCool is supposed to last up to 150,000 miles under perfect operating conditions. The DexCool may not last 150,000 miles in certain parts of the country due to the environment and terrain. Unfortunately, the coolant system is not warranted beyond the New Vehicle Warranty parameters of 3-years/36,000 miles. If you are currently experiencing a concern with your coolant system, we ask that you contact your local GMC and Pontiac dealerships. They are in the best position to diagnose the concerns you are experiencing with your vehicles. They can also advise you how often the DexCool should be changed in your area.

If you should need to contact us in the future, please e-mail us again or call our GMC Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-462-8782. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Damage Resulting: Engine failure due to misleading statements by GM's owner's manual. The Dexcool coolant appears fail before it stated life expectence. I can't afford to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to repair my vehicles with misrepresentations.

Michael of Terre Haute IN (1/29/03):
    Problems with the DEX-Cool antifreeze and it hardening up or clogging the coolant passages of my 1997 GNC Jimmy. First, I have had to have the cooling system flushed and filled, replaced the thermostat. According to other owners, I will be replacing many other components in the next year or two. So far, I have only incurred about $60.00 of repairs.

Brian of Albany NY (10/3/02):
    I encountered the Extended Life Engine Coolant Dex-Cool failure in my 1996 Chevrolet Blazer in May 2001 and am dealing with the issue still. GM will not recognize their manufacturing defect. Two undisclosed firms are investigating for a possible Class Action Lawsuit against GM.

Justin of Little Elm TX (1/25/03):
    I purchased a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe from Classic Chevrolet with 45k miles. I also purchased a 2-year, 20k extended warranty. About 3-4k miles out of warranty, my truck began to overheat. I took it to a mechanic who checked the cooling system and replaced the water pump, flushed the system, and pressure tested it for leaks, refilling it with the Dexcool orange coolant GM demands you use. At 74k miles, I am now told I have to replace the intake gasket, for $650. This is a widespread problem and I believe my engine may have damage due to the coolant leaking into the engine.

Thousands of these incidents have happened and GM denies any problem exists.

Andras of Chula Vista CA (11/28/01):
    We purchased a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer from Bob Baker Chevrolet in El Cajon, California, in early 2000. The vehicle had 40,000 miles on it, was in good shape, and according to the dealer, had just had a complete service. At about 70,000 miles, the car started to shift hard between first and second after it had been driven for a while. When it cooled down (that's subjective - the temperature gauge never moved) the problem went away. I checked the fluid levels - all were good - then opened the radiator. I was suprised to discover that the radiator was filled with brown sludge, especially as the car used Dexcool - a 100,000 mile/no service needed coolant.

I had the engine flushed and the coolant replaced with Dexcool, only to have the problem reappear a few thousand miles later. At the same time, the water pump failed, which cost me around $400 to replace. The system was flushed again. I started looking around online at that point, and found that GM and Texaco had done a press release stating that Dexcool vehicles, specifically the s10 and blazer, had issues with radiator clogging.

The release said it was worse in those vehicles than any other, and could be worsened by the design of the radiator and cap location. It also mentioned that a non-GM radiator cap would help alleviate the problem, and that the dealer could do a flush on the system according to a GM service release that would clean out the cooling system. I purchased the replacement radiator cap, and took the vehicle back to Bob Baker to have the flush done per the GM service release. When they called me to pickup the car, I was told that I needed the radiator either rodded out or replaced (about $500) and the heater core and hoses needed to be replace ($545) as they were too clogged to flush.

To me, this seemed like it was something that either the dealer or GM should have picked up the tab for, but the dealer said that the problem was that I didn't have the coolant changed every 30,000 miles, and that I obviously didn't keep the level of the coolant topped off. I argued back that GM wrote a press release, saying that their radiator cap was part of the problem, and that the design of the radiator is part of the problem, and that the coolant is maintenance free for 100,000 miles, so why should I have to pay for the repair. That arguement went nowhere, nor did my asking why the vehicle coolant hadn't been changed before the car was sold to me.

At this point, I have a Blazer that overheats, doesn't have any heater, and will no doubt have other problems before I can get rid of it. The dealer and GM want me to pay over a thousand dollars to fix a problem that is apparently inherent in their design. And the solution that I've been given isn't guaranteed to fix all the problems.

Theresa of Phoenix (1/22/01):
    I have a 1996 Buick Skylark with 50,000 miles on it, my parents are the original oweners and gave me this car approx. 1 year ago. I had a problem with it so I took it to the machanics, thinking it needed the water pump replaced. My mechanic called me and said big problems. I needed to replace the engine.

He talked to his buddy at Midway (GMC, Buick, Nissan) who told him not to go any further. They are aware of this model's engine problem and they have a warehouse full of those engines that had to be replaced. I then called GM customer service and they opened a case and said I would need to take the car to one of their dealerships to have a diagnostic done. I had my car towed to Midway. Tom, the mechanic, called me and needed my authorization to do the diagostic/take the engine apart and it would cost me about $500.00. The next time he was requesting oil change records. I went to Q-Lube where i had the majority of my oil changes done, who was no longer in business and a Jiffy Lube was now there. I talked with them, they told me records were not transferred over to them when they took over.

Tom had called again requesting coolant maintance records. In which, I read to him straight from the owners manual that dex-coolant did not need maintance for 100,000 miles. His response was, Someone told me to ask you for that. Then I informed him that I couldn't get all the oil change records because they had gone out of business. He said that he couldn't submit my case to GM without them. I stated to him that he was giving me the runaround. That the engince in the car is an AC Delco remanufatured engine, that GM put out a Technical Service Bullitin on that engine in 9/99, they are aware of the problem with this engine.

I've been without a car for over a month. I'm not working and havent been able to go out and look for a job. I take great offense to the men at GM who have treated me like I am just a dumb woman.

Dorothy of Baltimore (8/29/00):
    In August 1999, my Chevy S-10 Blazer 4WD overheated on a business trip to Savannah. I had it towed to Darryl Burke Chevrolet. They stated that, for unknown reasons, the antifreeze had gotten junked up and the system needed to flushed & refilled. They had never seen this before. Four days later, it overheated on the way back to North Carolina from Savannah.

My husband, a mechanic, took a look and immediately noticed that the radiator had not been removed. Darryl Burke required an extra day becasue they had supposedly removed the radiator and had it cleaned. We took the car to Bobby Murray Chevrolet in Raleigh, NC. They had seen the problem before, and told us they needed to flush and fill, and replace thermostat. Still no known cause to the problem. Darryl Burke did credit us a portion of the labor for the work that they had done, but denied any wrongdoing.

One July 18 2000, on the way home from vacation, the engine overheated. As we had recently moved, I took the car to Fox Chevrolet in Timonium, MD. They replaced the thermostat and flushed and filled the radiator. After much hassle with Chevy Customer service, we were denied any reimbursement because, in between the last two dealers, the heater core had been replaced by my husband. Their contention was that he had worked on the car, so there was nothing that they would do.

The service advisor at Fox mentioned a TSB, regarding the antifreeze, "Dexcool", and delineating repairs for overheat. Flush, fill, new thermostat. I have since looked up the problem on the internet, and have found that many have the same problem, and some have had to replace engines because of it. The Dexcool antifreeze gums up and causes the car to overheat. The transmission lines run through the radiator to be cooled, so, if it's overheated continuously, the same happens to the transmission. And, eventually, the engine.

It is my feeling that GM is completely aware of the problem with the Dexcool, as they have sent out TSB's on it, and that they are also aware of problems with other components that are tied to the problem. And, they won't admit it or do anything about it.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    GM's sure do have coolant leak problems, Ive had my share run-ins with them. I would just stick to the green stuff, check the PH level and change the coolant every year if you like just before winter along with other fluids like brakes and fresh engine oil.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    DEXCOOL SUCKS!!! :mad:

DO NOT USE IT IN YOUR FERRARI!!!!

i have had a lot of GM cars, and when Dexcool came out people were mixing it with green coolant and using it in older hotrods with aluminum heads. the stuff turns into an acid that breaks down everything in the cooling system and then cloggs it up with a reddish gray chaulky substance. i would not use it in a newer GM car unless it was mandated by the warranty. i hate the stuff and would NEVER use in in ANY Ferrari. :mad:

Reaper.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    My brother is an engine builder. When he gets a Dexcool engine in his shop he just shakes his head. Many times it's cheaper to order a new crate engine.

6. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Talking to Shell this morning, they make Shell Dex-cool. He commented on engine and radiator problem when you have air trapped in your system. But any way, I like to find out which coolant is the best for 550 maranello ( 1999).
    Called woodland hills ferrari dealer they recommend german antifreeze like the one for BMW or MB. also recommend ( Shellzone ) antifreeze by shell. I done some reading on shellzone it is a conventional coolant with low silicate nothing fansy, supose to be good one, you guys have any recomendation, I well come any advise.
    Thanks.

7. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Dexcool has been in my Corvette since new in '96 with no problems. If you mix it with the green stuff, yes, your worst nightmare will ensue... But I would never do that, so I just leave it as is - if it ain't broke....don't fix it!

8. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    If the owners manual says use Dexcool, use it. Otherwise stay the H@#ll away from it. Very simple.

Erich

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Get prestone antifreeze for your 550 and mix it with dist. water. No dexcool.

Every Cadillac I owned the Dexcool went and after a long flush the green went in. No problems. I am not a big dexcool fan.

10. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    As everyone has said, DO NOT USE DEXCOOL aka DEATHCOOL. You can use G05 which has a successful 20 year track record with Mercedes in thier aluminum engines. It is now being used by Chrysler and Ford. If you don't want to pay MB dealership prices for it, Valvoline makes it under their Zerex brand.
    BTW, the color no longer determines what kind of coolant it is. The Zerex and Ford G05 is a yellow/gold color and the Chrysler G05 factory fill is sort of orange looking.

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The problems with Dexcool are NOT limited to systems with air trapped in them. Do a Google search. You will find many many testimonies that point out that air had nothing to do with the adverse effects of using Dexcool. Shell and any other company will say ANYTHING protect the product they are trying to sell to YOU.
    I learned on numerous BMW boards that an almost perfect substitution for the German blue anti-freeze (9.00 a liter) is G48 which I believe is available only in Europe but the next best thing is ZEREX G05, (12.00 a gallon). Used by Merecedes/Chrysler/Volvo(?) and a few others.

If there are any plastic parts in your cooling system like radiator tanks and thermostat housings then this is the stuff to use. The green stuff will cause it to get brittle and crack prematurely.

I use it in my BMW 530.

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Just out of curiosity,
    Why don't you use what Ferrari recommends for your 550?

If you are trying to save a buck this is the wrong thing to do it with.

13. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I use 50/50 Phospate free with distilled water.

14. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Spasso, Zerex (a Valvoline brand) also makes G48 (blue coolant) used in certain year VWs and BMWs. It is available here in the US. Either G05 or G48 work well with alloy engines.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hey, good to know. I got the impression from the Bimmer boards that the G48 wasn't readily available in the US, I wonder how it compares in price to the G05.

. Oh well, I'm committed to the G05 for now.

Thanks for the info!
    DJ

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Pentosin coolant, which is that blueish color antifreeze, and is what BMW, MB uses and is the factory coolant in Ferrari's (basicly the Shell stuff) since the 355. You can buy it at your Benz dealer or BMW dealer, or an autoparts store that speacializes in import autoparts.

There are 2 kinds of Pentosin, Long life which is pink in color or the normal which is blue. Don't use the long life stuff..just get the blue.

17. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    Take those owner testimonials with a grain of salt, or rather a bag of salt I should say. I doubt even half of them could tell a cam shaft from a crank shaft.

Some of those claims are a little odd such as the eroded hoses. Also GM for some years was adding pellets to the coolant in their cars which was intended to seal leaks but infact caused clogged heaters cores and other problems. There are TSB’s for this and would likely be the actual culprit to what they are mistakenly attributing Dexcool to. Also many of those those issues are not all specifically coolant related.

The problem is that there are too many morons out there that use these dubious coolant additives along with all those other garbage engine additives that you find lining the Wal-Mart automotive section: Slick 350, Engine Rebuild in a Can etc. This garbage is almost always the culprit even when used with the green coolant.

I’ve had numerous cars with Dexcool and never had a problem and have definitly noticed that it hold up much better than cars with the green stuff. Independent laboratory studies show that Dexcool is significantly more stable than the conventional green coolant and does not cause corrosion when used properly. I even have an article about it in one of my SAE magazines which corroborates this.

I'll take scientifically substantiated facts any day over dubious owner testimonials.

BTW I have access to the GM Tech site and can't find any Dexcool TSB's like some of those people claim.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hans, You have some very good points and I should be more objective about this. I have my reasons for taking the stand that I do. Some of it is based in hard cold evidence, not just engineering documentation.

It's always good to see and hear both sides of every story but why the hell would cooling system sealer be needed on a brand new car?

With all of the sites warning of problems with Dexcool can you honestly believe that the testimonials are from mostly morons? What are the odds of that?

Granted, additives are going to screw things up in a cooling system but why did the problems reappear after dealer warranty work? Usually the dealer mechanics are somewhat higher on the food chain than most "morons".

From what I gather, GM steadfastly maintains that there is nothing wrong with Dexcool so naturally they aren't going to issue any TSB's on a problem they don't recognize even though there is still the strong possibility that it exists.

I'll take scientifically documented facts over heresy too. I'm all ears, (and eyes). Don't maintenance and warranty records from dealers have any bearing on this issue?

"How come the other automobile manufacturers haven't jumped on the Dexcool bandwagon (or an equivelent) ?"

So what is the REAL reason for failure of Dexcool equipped vehicles besides speculation that the owners are morons using dubious additives.

Just a few observations..................................
    DJ

19. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    If you call ten different ferrari dealers you will get ten different answers. I do not want to name them but some of them talk behind there neck.

20. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I've had 3 GM cars in the last 6 years (not normally my preference, but my father-in-law works for GM) that have had DexCool. On a sample size of three - two developed cooling system problems in the 39K to 45K mile range. One required a new engine (fortunately done under warranty, even though 3K miles over), the other was traded in. The third was sold at 18K, but was already looking gunky. All cars were maintained to factory specs and all work was done at GM dealers shops (the reason why they agreed to extend the warranty coverage beyond the 36K mile limit).

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Your owners manual will tell you what oil, gear lube AND coolant is recommended by Ferrari.

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Crate engine + different coolant= no problems.

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #23 robertgarven, Nov 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I started usuing dex-cool about 10 years ago, I change it every year 50/50 with distilled water. After I started reading the stuff about it, I got scared and wanted to switch back. I was told switching causes many problems and I have stayed with it. BTW my water pump has lasted 7 years, it comes out clear every time, and the inside of the aluminum coolant pipe has the slightest white coating on the inside. No evidence of gunk etc. I heard that it coats the metal with a thin coating and when you switch back to the green stuff this flakes off and plugs everything up. I guess I am the guinea pig here but have nothing but good luck so far. I started using it as I was told by a long time F-guy that he had seen water pump housing eaten through bythe silicates due to the porous casting of some of the ferrari parts. Everything it said was cool, made for aluminum, silicate free, phospahte free, long life, etc so you cant fault me for switching originally. I heard the problems some GM was having was crappy heater cores that were disolving?? some said the coolant came out like mississippi mud?*&%$* once again mine come out clear....???? here is a picture where you can clearly see a long bamboo toothpick's length in the container
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    I asked myself the very same question; maybe some kind of preventative maintenance.

One of my previous GM cars had a clogged heater core (which was also leaking, a not very uncommon problem on that car) because of these pellets and the whole cooling system was full of a thick gunk. Perhaps they were a little too liberal when adding it at the factory? Nonetheless as already stated, there were TSB’s issued because of this problem.

I wouldn’t exactly consider the sources of these warning all that reliable particularly when institutions like the SAE and other independent scientific studies I’ve seen all said it was superior in every way over the conventional green coolant. Considering the fact that the green coolant has been around for decades, it’s not too surprising that something better has been developed.

There are also many automotive myths: using higher than recommended octane causing engine damage, all these miracle engine additives, the 100 mile per gallon carb, exhaust backpressure improving torque etc….. this think this is likely just another.

The way I see it, if Dexcool was really the problem, why would GM (and a few other manufacturers) be using it for so long if it was costing them so much in warrantee repairs and the fix was so easy; simply switch coolants?

As for all these problems reported by other owners, I don’t have enough information to present an informed opinion and attributing it to all as “morons” using additives was perhaps too presumptuous. I am simply basing my opinion on personal experiences and to what I have read from reliable sources; and if anyone has any comparable info which shows the contrary, I would be interested in hearing the other side as well.

25. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    It boils down to this. You ask if it is better to use the Dexcool or G05 antifreeze and the answer is that the G05 may be the better choice.

I looked into these a couple of years ago and discussed it with chemists in the field. I concluded the G05 formulation was the best antifreeze considering all aspects of the coolant system and engine.

aehaas