UK Vehicle Tracker - RECOMMENDATIONS PLS! | FerrariChat

UK Vehicle Tracker - RECOMMENDATIONS PLS!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360trev, Nov 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Gents,

Can anyone recommend which tracker I should get fitted to my newly aquired 2002 360 Modena (LHD). Its not a uk sourced car and therefore doesn't have one (yet). Which is Ferrari UK's recommended tracking system? Was it Tracker or NavTrak or RAC TrackBack+? Anyone used/seen the new Tracker Echo yet which apparently uses both radio waves and gsm?

Anyone got any favourites, good, bad experiences? I had a NavTrak before but I feel it was a little limiting. Ideally I'd like to be able to go on the web and see the location of the vehicle at any time plus tell me of fixed point camera's etc. Any systems do such a thing?

Thanks,

Trevor

2. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Trevor

Ferrari UK's fitted one is Siemens Trakbak (sp?)

3. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ferrari now fit Navtrack onto there new cars, don't know why they moved on from trakbak

4. 355BOY

355BOY Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    the North
    Full Name:
    Mark
  5. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
  6. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Me too , the neat thing is that you can move it from vehicle to vehicle and don't need to keep buying new one's. You only pay a charge for moving it.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Hmmm, its a difficult call, i used to have NavTrak ProActive ADR but to be honest I was not really that impressed with value for money and overall security features. It also had the highest monthly cost and quite a few alarming missing features, e.g. an example is lack of sensor inside the car to trigger the tracker alert, e.g. if the car window was smashed.

I'd love to get a text sent to me if someone got close to the car (remember those alarms which barked at kids if they got too close, well instead of saying 'step back away from the car' I'd love to see it just covertly sms'ing me a text, unfortunately there does not seem to be one that does this yet.

Now that Tracker have released their 'Tracker Echo' I am looking at this option too, their system also now boasts Driver automatic recognition (as per NavTrak's proactive install). However NavTrak charge £1,000 fitted plus annual fee's which work out around (£20 per month??). The Tracker Echo costs £600 fitted and £13.25pm. It also features both GSM/GPS & Radio Wave's (aka original tracker) thus should be better protected against the latest GSM jammers that high tec crooks seem to be using now to defeat GSM only based systems. In the end I guess no system is completely 100%.

I would have liked to have some of the features of RAC TrakStar incorporated into Tracker Echo.. e.g. Emergency Breakdown coordinates sent when you press your help button and also the Speed Camera warnings... I guess

Ah, decisions, decisions...

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    actually favouring RAC TrackStar Plus at the moment, just found a fitted price of £400 inc VAT (uses GSM). Has motion sensor detector (against towing and window breakage) plus has option (costs £20 fitted + £8pm for camera data updates) for fixed position camera warning alerts too. This brings it to £18pm (which admittedly is more expensive than just tracking alone which is only £10pm) but with someone with 3 points on their license and driving a 360 it seems like a good idea :)

Hmm. don't know whether to go for Tracker Horizon (which costs £783 fitted with 1 year sub's) or RACTrackStar+ at £520 fitted. Horizon does have the added advantage of having VHF as well as GSM/GPS but lacks speed camera's. I didn't think it would be such a difficult decision. Should I just buy Horizon and get a proper navigation/camera system or get trackstar? Any strong opinions?

T

9. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    How long do you intend to keep the car for ? The beauty of the RAC system is that you can take it out when you sell the car and only pay a small installation cost.

James